cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller leaves feedback 1st.

I'm a buyer on Ebay not a seller. I leave feedback same day item arrives. I feel the seller should leave feedback as soon as payment is received. That's all the seller has to judge the transaction. If seller hasn't left it by the time I receive item I post F/B as normal but rate the communication section as low as it goes. 

Message 1 of 125
latest reply
124 REPLIES 124

Sellers who have been burned by false defective, doesn't match, wrong, missing, damaged or not authentic claims or bad feedback save their feedback until the buyer leaves feedback. I assume they think saving feedback gives them some leverage.
I leave the same for everyone, a simple Thank You!
I hope this makes the buyer feel good about their purchase.
I do this to indicate to me that the item is packaged, labeled and ready for shipper.
Message 2 of 125
latest reply

The communication DSR is not related to getting buyer feedback.  It's intended to be used if you had communicaiton (messages) with the seller.  As it's voluntary, it's not considered communication or a lack thereof.

Feedback is supposed to be about a transaction.  It would make sense to leave it when the transaction is complete.  So when is the transaction considered complete?  

In my opinion, a transaction is complete once a buyer receives their item and no longer needs anything from the seller.  How does a seller know that?  Well, they might some feedback, a message, or maybe just time.

The buyer could want to return for a non-valid reason.

The buyer could want to return for a valid reason.

The buyer could try to falsely claim damage in an attempt to get a partial refund.

The item could be damaged in shipping due to no fault of the seller, but the seller still needs to make it right and may require assistance from the buyer.

The item could get lost in the mail.

If you think the transaction is complete at payment, I strongly disagree.  The transaction is complete when you have the item you purchased in your hot little hands.

Oh - and again, feedback is completely voluntary and is not a requirement.

Message 3 of 125
latest reply

No
Message 4 of 125
latest reply

Coomon misconception.  That would be like the buyer posting feedback for the seller when they ship.  See how that sounds?  Buyer's responsibility is not over at payment and there is much damage they can do to a seller post sale.  Buyers who make an issue of feedback when they pay may have nefarious reasons for insisting on this~they want their positive before they indulge in bad buyer behavior.

You are violating the feedback rules and may be reported for it.  Just a few violation reports and you will be blocked from buying from thousands of sellers.  Communication is not about how fast you get feedback, feedback is voluntary.  It is NOT part of the transaction.  You pay, you get your widget.  That's it.

For the safety of your buying privileges, please stop abusing the DSR for communication.  I'm a buyer but I know policy since I use the site.  And announcing this on this Board may not work to your advantage, either.

Message 5 of 125
latest reply

The transaction is not complete and feedback will not be completed until I hear from the buyer that the item arrived in good shape and they are satisfied.  Until that happens it's still an open ongoing transaction.   

Message 6 of 125
latest reply

OP, you may also be being blocked by sellers who figure out just who rated their DSR for communication "as low as it gets".

As previously stated, that star is for rating communication through Ebay messages, NOT for whether or not you think they left feedback as quickly as you think it should be left.  

Message 7 of 125
latest reply

I am a buyer and I leave feedback for all received items usually once a week or so when I have a chance without provocation and regardless of whether or not the seller left it for me or not (unless I notice that the seller is a serial non-feedback-giver, I am a feedback checker on sellers with less than stellar feedback and it definitely has made me decide to buy or keep looking. And if a seller can’t be bothered with leaving feedback neither can I).

On a very few occasions sellers have emailed me before I have had a chance to leave feedback or before the item has even arrived) and asked if I received the item and was everything okay. I have responded that yes, everything was great, thanks. 

Then I get the “please leave me positive 5 Star feedback and once you leave feedback then I will leave feedback for you”.

This just irks me.

I have already told them everything was great. I respond with “I reciprocate all feedback left for me. Thanks for a great transaction”. 

Some go ahead and leave the feedback and I leave my positive feedback but I have had a few argue that no, it is my duty to leave it first. 

Don’t annoy or beg your buyers for feedback, if everything went smoothly and no feedback was left email and make sure the buyer was satisfied and if they were leave them feedback or wait and take your chances to see if they will leave you feedback or not, but it’s doubtful you will get neutral or negative feedback once you’ve established the transaction was good on their end. 

Message 8 of 125
latest reply

Sorry I meandered off the path for a moment...

No. The transaction is complete and feedback should be left (by either party, no matter who does it first) when the buyer has let the seller know they are satisfied or they were not satisfied but an agreement was reached, leaving the buyer happy or not.

At this point the buyer can leave honest feedback about the transaction, letting other buyers know what transpired. 

I ALWAYS leave 5 stars for communication whether I asked a question or not (I can’t remember half the time whether I did or not), just because the seller didn’t contact you personally during the transaction is SO WRONG to leave them one star.

Imagine a seller who works 60-70 hours a week at this and is a single parent to three kids, one having special needs. If she had to email every buyer for every item she sold because otherwise they would punish her for “bad communication”, think of the time she would not have to spend with her kids. 

Shame on you.

Message 9 of 125
latest reply

Feedback is voluntary either eBay isn't making this clear enough or a lot of people just don't know the definition of voluntary.

Message 10 of 125
latest reply

You can 'feel' whatever you want to feel. Feedback is not part of the transaction and is not required by ebay. Seller can leave feedback whenever he/she chooses or not at all. It is not up to you to decide. Ebay doesn't use the DSRs to rate sellers anymore. Just so you know. They also don't even use feedback to rate sellers anymore. That is how much they care about it. lol

CW4PWK--Taji,Iraq-42404
'They won't get it all, and they won't have it long.'

'You gotta see those creeps crawl...' Echo & the Bunnymen-"Crocodiles'
Message 11 of 125
latest reply

Of course as we all know feedback is voluntary, so no one has to leave it at all.  However, if one is to leave it, it should be one's opinion on how the transaction went as a whole.  Since the transactions completed until the buyer has received the merchandise and is satisfied, it would appear logical for the seller to leave feedback before the buyer received their purchase and indicated they were satisfied.  Only then has can the seller be reasonably assured that their job is complete.  To leave feedback at the time payment is received doesn't allow for the formation of an opinion as to how the whole transaction has gone since the transaction isn't complete at that time.  Basically all that can be said at that time is that the buyer paid.

Of course, buyers, in my opinion, don't need to necessarily leave feedback to indicate that they have received the item and are satisfied with the transaction.  While leaving feedback is generally used for that purpose, a simple message through eBay's message system would suffice.  

Frankly, since 2008 sellers have been restricted to leaving only positive feedback for buyers or not leaving any at all.  That sort of makes the feedback system something of a useless appendage as far as the buyer's reputation goes.  Since all buyer's have 100% that percentage becomes meaningless.  However, buyer's feedback left for others and their bid retraction record is somewhat useful information for the seller.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 12 of 125
latest reply

@airmail3001,

"I'm a buyer on Ebay not a seller"

Funny according to your profile I see you have made 16 sales in the last 2 years one this month.  Why would you try and hide that fact?

"I leave feedback same day item arrives".

I'll bet you do not do that if there is a problem, but maybe you do since many of the neuts you have left were about slow shipping. 

"If seller hasn't left it by the time I receive item I post F/B as normal but rate the communication section as low as it goes".

That statement is proof of how buyers can only hurt sellers AFTER they pay, and that a buyer's only responsibility is not just to pay.  It is also why many sellers wait until the buyer leaves feedback first, and some have opted out of leaving feedback at all. 

Thank goodness eBay no longer uses DSRs to rate sellers.  What you are doing, we used to call stealth dinging, you left a positive but rated a star lower than 4. If ebay were still using DSRs to rate sellers, you would be putting them at risk of losing TRS status, being limited in the number of items they could sell, or worse.  A 1 star rating used to take forever to mitigate, with 5 star ratings. Especially, since sellers tend to get feedback for about 60% of their sales, especially those who leave feedback first.  You have only been a member for a little over 2 years, and do not know about the purges ebay did a few times several years ago, using a glitch in the DSR system as well as received DSRs to kick thousands of low volume sellers off the site.

"I feel the seller should leave feedback as soon as payment is received. That's all the seller has to judge the transaction".

As a seller, so far you haven't had an issue with a buyer.  I wonder how you will feel if and when you do receive a nonpositive you feel was not deserved. Especially, if you left feedback as soon as you were paid. 

FYI,  If the response a seller left you, to one of the 12 neutrals left this last year is correct, you left it in error.  If a seller has a 1 business day handling time, and you purchase an item on a Friday, the first Business Day after that is Monday. eBay does not consider Saturdays Sundays or National Holidays as Business days.  Many P.O.s have short hours on Saturdays, and many businesses are closed on weekends. 

Thanks for posting

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 13 of 125
latest reply

I still feel it's the sellers responsibilty to post first. I've been on ebay since it's inception. Due to health resonx I fell out for a few years. When it started seller first was the norm. Now a seller can cancel a sale with no good reason. Sometimes getting a refund isn't what a buyer wants. When mereted I leave negative feedback or less that 5 stars.  Most sellers do a great job. Some are lazy. I will continue to do as described. If a seller holds back feedback or ships when they want to, block me as a buyer. 

Message 14 of 125
latest reply

Well you won't be leaving me a neutral or other less then positive feedback.  

Message 15 of 125
latest reply