cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller blocked me after making an offer on his item...

Hi folks,

So there was this game that I wanted, it was at a normal proce. There was a "make an offer" button and I made an offer based on the actual price -$5 to see if I can get it cheaper. Well not only the seller didn't say anything but they just went ahead and blocked me. I have +500 reviews as a buyer and have been on eBay since 2013. Can't eBay do anything about those sellers that just block you like that?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

In a word, no.  Sellers can block anyone for any reason.  That's ebay's rule.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Sellers are allowed to block. Some will block if they think offers are too low.  It could also be based on the feedback you have left 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Seller probably read "all" your negative feedbacks left for other sellers. You do know we can read the feedback you give to sellers? Some sellers read feedback just to see what kind of buyer you might be. 

And probably doesn't want you to try to buy anything in the future as well.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Hi @sadox735 

Without knowing the cost of the item … it’s impossible to know whether or not your offer was reasonable.

Sellers tend to check a buyer’s  feedback profile after receiving an offer … and the number of negative feedbacks you’ve left previous sellers are likely to be off putting to most sellers.

I’m sorry this happened … but it is allowed.  In fact, the ability to block potentially risky buyers is one of the few protections that eBay offers sellers.  

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

@sadox735 

"So there was this game that I wanted, it was at a normal proce. There was a "make an offer" button and I made an offer based on the actual price -$5 to see if I can get it cheaper. Well not only the seller didn't say anything but they just went ahead and blocked me.

How much of a difference was there between the actual price and the $5 you offered? The seller my have felt the difference was too great to bother with negotiating.  There is no rule that says a seller has to respond to an offer.  Many will just ignore lowball offers and let them expire. Some will block lowballers to protect them selves from partial refund requests.

"I have +500 reviews as a buyer and have been on eBay since 2013. Can't eBay do anything about those sellers that just block you like that"?

eBay is not going to prevent sellers from blocking any buyer they choose to, they do not need to provide a reason why they block anyone. You may have 500+ feedback and a 100% rating but so do all buyers, even the scammers and non-payers, because buyers cannot receive negative feedback.  That means your reputation as a buyer is judged by the feedback you leave for others. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Sellers are allowed  to protect themselves by blocking as ebay gives them the tool to do so.

I see a few reasons why the seller would do so. Community posts, feedback, and retractions.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Like the others stated, sellers can block anyone for any reason.  I see quite a few negatives. Not everyone ships with tracking. I have had items shipped with tracking that have NEVER been scanned and I know that they arrived because the buyer post a feedback. 

Forget about that seller and see if you can find your item by another seller.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

@janet9988 wrote:

Sellers are allowed  to protect themselves by blocking as ebay gives them the tool to do so.

Yes, ebay gives tools to sellers and buyers have nothing. Buyers are on their own.

So shouldn't buyers be able to protect themselves with seller blocking tools too?

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Very little doubt in my mind that you have been blocked because of all those negatives and your feedback comments did not help you imho

if you feel a negative is deserved  just stick to the facts and skip the name-calling seller which does not reflect well on you rather then the seller

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@campanaelia wrote:

@janet9988 wrote:

Yes, ebay gives tools to sellers and buyers have nothing. Buyers are on their own.

So shouldn't buyers be able to protect themselves with seller blocking tools too?

You can avoid ANY seller by simply not buying from  them.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 11 of 23
latest reply

It's either they thought it was a lowball offer or they checked your feedback you left for others.

My guess is the 2nd one.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@campanaelia wrote:

@janet9988 wrote:

I am a buyer, and a seller.

I can't even begin to wrap my head around the absurdity of that statement.

Buyers have the eBay MBG. Used properly it is near 100% foolproof.

Buyers can claim empty box.

Buyers can open false INAD returns.

Buyers can return their broken item, the original item with no defect, the original item after they break it, a handful of miscellaneous trash, or a rock for a full refund.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

@campanaelia wrote:

@janet9988 wrote:

@campanaelia 

We buyers are able to Exclude sellers by name when we search for items.

We are believed totally when we file a ‘ return request’ saying an item is ‘not as described’.

I cannot think of any protection I lack as a buyer.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@house*of*paws wrote:

@campanaelia 

We buyers are able to Exclude sellers by name when we search for items.

Not the same at all. If the seller changes their user id, the exclusion does not carry over to the new id the way it does for sellers using BBL.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply