cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Uses Shills to Run Up bids, Cancels before Auction Ends, Invoices Highest Buyer

I have recently been victimized by a seller from India who uses various shills on his clothing/wedding handbag auctions. He usually starts them out at .99, hooks a REAL buyer, then in comes the "shill" (always the same one(s) to bid the item UP/PAST the true bid, and just before the auction ENDS, the seller CANCELS the shill bid and invoices the highest bidder. You can see that the shill accounts have 100% bid activity with him when you click on their "hidden" ids/feedback. I reported him, began opening cases on him to get refunded, then he posted a FAKE TRACKING number so I would have to wait until AFTER the FAKE DELIVERY DATE (30 + additional days) to open the rest.

It was terrible. When I notified ebay about it, all they did was tell me to wait til after the delivery date, then open a case...duh.. They did shut down some of the auctions I reported, but, guess what? HE IS STILL SELLING. He has a plethora of negatives from other buyers who are all saying the EXACT SAME THING I SAID. Oh, and another thing: Whenever he gets a NEGATIVE from a REAL BUYER, voila, he uses the shill accounts to give himself as many SHILL POSITIVES to help bring his rating right back up. At least I was able to get the account he used against me shut down, but he is still going strong...

"I mean what I say, and I say what I mean..."
Message 1 of 73
latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Re: Seller Uses Shills to Run Up bids, Cancels before Auction Ends, Invoices Highest Buyer

Ikr?
None of this shill-seller's listings/pics are really his at all. He stole them from other sellers! Believe me, I've done my research, so I KNOW the ONLY way he can continue doing this **bleep** is because ebay is being complicit.

Message 31 of 73
latest reply

Re: Seller Uses Shills to Run Up bids, Cancels before Auction Ends, Invoices Highest Buyer

Oh, I still have a few tricks up my sleeve, tho'.....
Message 32 of 73
latest reply

So true.
Message 33 of 73
latest reply

Boom.
Message 34 of 73
latest reply

And he does it with ALL of his auctions...ALL
Message 35 of 73
latest reply

What???
Message 36 of 73
latest reply

To date, this SHILL BIDDING ACCOUNT has 1,000 plus  interaction/transaction(s) with only ONE SELLER, yet he still has a "1" rating??? THIS IS A BLATANT SHILL ACCOUNT FOR A BLATANT SHILL SELLER.

Message 37 of 73
latest reply

..Everytime he gets a NEGATIVE, he uses the SHILL ACCOUNTS to give himself FAKE POSITIVES (note recurring ID's)

Message 38 of 73
latest reply

It is very evident that this SHILL SELLER is definitely being protected, and legitimate attempts to expose him/his shill accounts are being interfered with.

Shilling is ILLEGAL, and PUNISHABLE BY LAW.
Message 39 of 73
latest reply

A LEGITIMATE Buyer who was SHILLED on (five) 5 "auctions" (that ended 19Jul 2018), left this SHILL SELLER FIVE (5) LEGITIMATE, WELL-DESERVED NEGATIVES, HOWEVER:

WHY????? HAVE ALL OF THOSE 5 (FIVE) NEGATIVES BEEN REMOVED?????

Message 40 of 73
latest reply

Using other accounts to bid, and then dropping out last minute. NOT FREE POSTAGE, SHILL SELLING SCAMMER!!!!
Message 41 of 73
latest reply

@deniece200909 wrote:
A LEGITIMATE Buyer who was SHILLED on (five) 5 "auctions" (that ended 19Jul 2018), left this SHILL SELLER FIVE (5) LEGITIMATE, WELL-DESERVED NEGATIVES, HOWEVER:

WHY????? HAVE ALL OF THOSE 5 (FIVE) NEGATIVES BEEN REMOVED?????

Probably because they never paid and the seller filed unpaid item cases. Automatic feedback removal when that happens. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 42 of 73
latest reply

Nope. This SHILL "Seller" DID NOT FILE A UNPAID ITEM CASE AGAINST THE LEGITIMATE BUYER, (We have the screen shots, Boo) ..Next???
Message 43 of 73
latest reply

A LEGITIMATE Buyer who was SHILLED left this SHILL SELLER 3 (three) LEGITIMATE, WELL-DESERVED NEGATIVES on 24JUL2018, ........

Message 44 of 73
latest reply

deniece200909,

Reading your thread again, and posts and threads by other legitimate buyers who have had the misfortune of being shilled, I have an acute awareness of your frustration with eBay and how eBay deals or rather fails to deal with shilling sellers.

In your screen shot of the Bid History page of the auction you won way back in May, I can see a shill bidding ID was suspended.  From experience having reported shilled auctions to eBay (pre-2006), this is how eBay “appears” to show that it is dealing with shill bidding.  Suspending shill bidding IDs does NOT do ANYTHING for the aggrieved buyers when the shilling sellers selling ID is intact to continue shilling on eBay.  eBay can suspend shill bidding IDs and the shilling seller can easily register new shill bidding IDs.  The process is repeated over and over again.

I know that you have stated that the seller is using shill bidding IDs to post shill feedback, and to me, that shill feedback is evident.  Shill feedback is not that uncommon either among these shilling sellers in India.

What is more disheartening to me, is that there are legitimate eBay buyers who have had their bids shilled and they don’t even KNOW IT when they’ve posted positive feedback for the same shilling seller that you’ve dealt with.  I’ve seen this happen many times with other shilling sellers in India.  Many legitimate buyers simply don’t know when they’ve been robbed by thieving sellers through shilling which is ILLEGAL and eBay is facilitating it.

On October 10, 2017, eBay had an Executive Chat.  In message #77, I had asked Sarah Brubacher, “Why is it that when I do report listings to eBay, NOTHING is done to the shilling IDs?”

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/eBay-Executive-Chat-Oct-10th-1pm-PT-Sarah-...

Sarah’s response is in message #84.

In part, Sarah wrote:

Re: Shill Bidding. By nature of the issue and to protect the security and privacy of our members, investigations need to be conducted in private and we cannot provide the outcome of any investigation. If you are looking to report suspected shill bidding, please contact us via social media:

Twitter: Https://twitter.com/AskeBay

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/eBay 

CS: https://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/cuhome 

We will ensure it is routed to the appropriate team. I agree with you that shill bidding is something we need to take very seriously. Thank you for raising the question. Sarah

===========

Now, I am going to make this abundantly clear:  I do NOT hold Sarah Brubacher responsible for the way that eBay is taking the matter of shill bidding “very seriously” because this is NOT her area of responsibility.  I DON’T KNOW who IS responsible for eBay Trust & Safety on eBay because I would hold THAT person accountable.

As far as I am concerned, I have no intention of registering and I am not about to register social media accounts on Twitter or Facebook in order to contact eBay about eBay shill bidding matters.  I have already reported several hundred blatantly shilled auctions since February, 2017 to eBay via the eBay listings’ report link and NOTHING has happened to the shilling IDs.

You, deniece200909, are an ACTUAL eBay shill bidding victim and if you were to call eBay Customer service, and depending on who you talk to, I surmise they may be more considerate about your legitimate concerns.  Personally, I don’t waste MY valuable time with eBay Customer Service since they don’t understand the mechanics of shill bidding to even know what the HELL I’m talking about.

When other legitimate bidders posted their concerns on this discussion board, I knew by what they were posting about bid retraction notices they received, that something was not above board.  Looking into the bid history pages of those auctions in which there were these bid cancellations (and not retractions) proved that their bids were being manipulated by shilling sellers.

On or about March 18, 2018, eBay changed its policy about reporting shill bidding to this:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/selling-practices-policy/shill-bidding-policy?id...

How do I report shill bidding?

If you think that another member is shill bidding, you don't need to report it to us. eBay has a number of systems in place to detect and monitor bidding patterns and practices. If we identify any malicious behavior, we'll take steps to prevent it.

============

Your shilled bids happened in May, 2018 after eBay posted its current policy page with eBay’s OWN WORDS:  eBay has a number of systems in place to detect and monitor bidding patterns and practices. If we identify any malicious behavior, we'll take steps to prevent it.

Well, it appears to me that eBay’s “systems in place” aren’t able to detect the shill bidding nor is eBay able to “monitor bidding patterns and practices”, therefore, eBay can’t identify malicious behaviour, so eBay can’t take steps to prevent it.

As an eBay shill bidding victim, deniece200909, you can’t possibly trust eBay to look out for your (financial) interests since eBay’s interests are in conflict with yours.  eBay makes more money on higher final value fees on shilled auctions and the shilled buyers are paying for it.  eBay assesses the seller fees, but the MONEY comes from the buyers through the sellers.

Caveat Emptor on eBay.

Enough said.  I am done.

Godzilla_Goose

Message 45 of 73
latest reply