cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Uses Shills to Run Up bids, Cancels before Auction Ends, Invoices Highest Buyer

I have recently been victimized by a seller from India who uses various shills on his clothing/wedding handbag auctions. He usually starts them out at .99, hooks a REAL buyer, then in comes the "shill" (always the same one(s) to bid the item UP/PAST the true bid, and just before the auction ENDS, the seller CANCELS the shill bid and invoices the highest bidder. You can see that the shill accounts have 100% bid activity with him when you click on their "hidden" ids/feedback. I reported him, began opening cases on him to get refunded, then he posted a FAKE TRACKING number so I would have to wait until AFTER the FAKE DELIVERY DATE (30 + additional days) to open the rest.

It was terrible. When I notified ebay about it, all they did was tell me to wait til after the delivery date, then open a case...duh.. They did shut down some of the auctions I reported, but, guess what? HE IS STILL SELLING. He has a plethora of negatives from other buyers who are all saying the EXACT SAME THING I SAID. Oh, and another thing: Whenever he gets a NEGATIVE from a REAL BUYER, voila, he uses the shill accounts to give himself as many SHILL POSITIVES to help bring his rating right back up. At least I was able to get the account he used against me shut down, but he is still going strong...

"I mean what I say, and I say what I mean..."
Message 1 of 73
latest reply
72 REPLIES 72

Re: Seller Uses Shills to Run Up bids, Cancels before Auction Ends, Invoices Highest Buyer

@deniece200909 wrote:

I have recently been victimized by a seller from India who uses various shills on his clothing/wedding handbag auctions. He usually starts them out at .99, hooks a REAL buyer, then in comes the "shill" (always the same one(s) to bid the item UP/PAST the true bid, and just before the auction ENDS, the seller CANCELS the shill bid and invoices the highest bidder. You can see that the shill accounts have 100% bid activity with him when you click on their "hidden" ids/feedback. I reported him, began opening cases on him to get refunded, then he posted a FAKE TRACKING number so I would have to wait until AFTER the FAKE DELIVERY DATE (30 + additional days) to open the rest.

It was terrible. When I notified ebay about it, all they did was tell me to wait til after the delivery date, then open a case...duh.. They did shut down some of the auctions I reported, but, guess what? HE IS STILL SELLING. He has a plethora of negatives from other buyers who are all saying the EXACT SAME THING I SAID. Oh, and another thing: Whenever he gets a NEGATIVE from a REAL BUYER, voila, he uses the shill accounts to give himself as many SHILL POSITIVES to help bring his rating right back up. At least I was able to get the account he used against me shut down, but he is still going strong...

deniece200909,

From what I am able to see off of your screens of the Bid History pages of these two auctions, I have no doubt whatsoever that these are examples of shilled auctions. However, what you have stated in your original post needs clarification. The shilling seller didn’t just cancel the high bidder’s bid, the shilling seller used the same shill bidding ID to place another shill bid just BELOW the legitimate bidder’s high bid, thereby manipulating the legitimate bidder’s bid to its full amount. Compare the time stamps of the LAST bid placed by the shill bidding ID with the time stamp of the bid cancellation by the seller of the earlier “high bid” by the shill bidding ID.

I want you to go and look again at the Bid History page to the auction in which you won back on May 5, 2018.

If you look down at the Bid retraction and cancellation history, take note of the time that the shill bidder, s***m (10,) placed their first bid of $9.50. From what I am able to see, it appears to be 29 Apr 2018 at 1:15:29 PM PDT.

You were the last bidder to enter bids in this auction and you placed a series of bids on May 5 ranging from $4.50 at 8:42:23 AM PDT to $7.00 at 8:42:35 AM PDT on May 5 and at that moment in time, you were NOT the high bidder; the shill bidder s***m (10) was the high bidder with the bid price displayed on the auction page of $7.50 calculated as your $7.00 bid plus one bid increment of 50¢ at that price level. In other words, you were bidding against the shill bidder’s $9.50 shill bid that acted as the seller’s artificial reserve and you were outbid each time you placed a bid against the shill bidder’s $9.50 shill bid.

Once the shilling seller cancelled the shill bidder s***m (10)’s $9.50 “high bid”, the bid price FELL DOWN to $4.25 which is one 25¢ bid increment above bidder i***i (350) who bid $4.00 on 28 Apr 2018 at 8:05:56 PM PDT and you, deniece200909, became the high bidder at $4.25 as at May 5, 2018 at 12:13:30 PM PDT.

Since the shilling seller knew that you were NOT the high bidder at $7.00, they knew the full amount of your automatic bid being $7.00.

So, the shilling seller cancelled the shill bidder’s “high bid” of $9.50, the bid price fell down to $4.25, and THEN the shill bidder placed a shill bid of $6.90 on 5 May 2018 at 12:13:38 PM PDT just below your $7.00 bid thus manipulating your bid to the full amount of $7.00. The shill bidder s***m (10) placed their SECOND shill bid only 8 seconds after their earlier $9.50 shill bid was cancelled by the shilling seller.

This is an example of what I call blatant shill bidding. It is blatant shill bidding since it is ONLY the seller and eBay, via Administrative Cancellation, that may cancel a bidder’s bid. A reputable eBay seller who cancels a bidder’s bid, normally would also place that bidder’s user ID on the seller’s Blocked Bidder List. A shilling seller, on the other hand, will not place their shill bidding ID(s) on their Blocked Bidder List because they want the shill bidding ID(s) to place future shill bids to manipulate the legitimate bidders’ bids.

With the second Bid History page, the shill bidding pattern is slightly different. This time, bidder g***b (3243) was the FIRST bidder to this auction with a $2.00 bid placed on 6 Jul at 2:05:06 PM PDT. The shill bidder, b***1 (4), placed a shill bid of $7.90 on 10 Jul 2018 at 1:54:26 PM PDT thereby outbidding g***b (3243)’s #2.00 bid and at the point during the auction, the bid price displayed would have been $2.25 calculated as g***b (3243)’s $2.00 bid plus one 25¢ bid increment at that price level.

Bidder g***b (3243) placed three more bids on Jul 11 ranging from $4.00 at 1:23:53 PM PDT to $5.01 at 1:24:07 PM PDT and was outbid by the shill bidder b***1 (4) at this point during the auction and the bid price displayed would have been $5.51.

The shilling seller cancelled b***1 (4)’s “high” shill bid of $7.90 that acted as an artificial reserve, and the bid price fell down to 99¢ since immediately after the shilling seller cancelled b***1 (4)’s $7.90 shill bid, there were NO competing bids in effect to challenge g***b (3243)’s bids.

Because the shilling seller knew that bidder g***b (3243) was NOT the high bidder when the bid price was $5.51, the shilling seller used the shill bidding ID, b***1 (4), to place a shill bid of $5.00 on 11 Jul at 1:59:56 PM PDT just below g***b (3243)’s $5.01 bid. Again, the shilling seller cancelled the shill bidder’s “high” bid, the bid price fell down, and then moments later, the shill bidder b***1 (4) placed another shill bid just below the legitimate bidder’s bid.

Again, this is another example of blatant shill bidding.

The best way to avoid being shilled is simply don’t do business with disreputable sellers since sniping can’t prevent your bid from being shilled EVEN if you were to execute a 0-second snipe bid. If your legitimate (snipe or proxy or automatic) bid interacts with a shill bidder’s bid, then your bid will be shilled since timing does NOT matter AT ALL.

Godzilla_Goose

Message 16 of 73
latest reply

Re: Seller Uses Shills to Run Up bids, Cancels before Auction Ends, Invoices Highest Buyer

EXACTLY!!!! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR YOUR DETAILED, IN-DEPTH BREAKDOWN/ EXPLANATION of this SHILL Seller's fraudulent MO (Modus Operandi) @godzilla_goose!!!

Message 17 of 73
latest reply

And there he is . . .
Message 18 of 73
latest reply

I'm not quite sure of how you determined that the seller is engaging in the criminal activity of shilling, but if the seller ends an auction with less then 12 hours remaining, the current high bidder would be the winner.  Of course, if the seller first cancelled a bidder's bid, the bidding goes back to where it would have been had the cancelled bid not been placed.  This would affect who was the high bidder at the time the listing closed and therefor, the winner.

With regard to suspected shilling, about all that can be done is to report your suspicions to eBay.  However, it would not automatically relieve you from your obligation to pay for the item or risk having a UID filed against you.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 19 of 73
latest reply

I'm NOT lying...

Message 20 of 73
latest reply

Private feedback does NOT equate to/nor dismiss ILLEGAL SHILL SELLING/BIDDING....

Message 21 of 73
latest reply

REMEMBER - eBay makes a lot of money IF the Seller is making a lot of money.

Also it is worthy of taking Note - if you are a USA Seller reading this - eBay is very quick in not allowing us to list an item similar to another item already listed quoting, "the cannot list same item rule." BUT isn't it odd that Out Of Country - HUGE SELLERS with hundreds & hundreds - THOUSANDS of Listings & many with several or more stores... using SAME PHOTOS fill up the SEARCH PAGES with IDENTICAL LISTINGS! I mean IDENTICAL LISTINGS... Not one penny difference & all TITLE Listing Words IDENTICAL.

eBay makes thousands , possibly hundreds of thousands of dollars off these unscrupulouse Out Of Country SELLERS / SHILLER daily.

An out of Country Seller I deliberately befriended once messaged me, discussing Selling, how he Shills & Buying practices - thinking I was a Foreigner... and he reminded me that "ALL AMERICANS ARE SO STUPID!"
Message 22 of 73
latest reply

So TRUE. It isn't worth the "HOOPS OF FIRE" eBay makes you go through trying to report a SHILLER.
Message 23 of 73
latest reply

They DON'T APPLY to any Out of Country Seller! You need only go through page after page of IDENTICAL LISTINGS with SAME PHOTOS too - to KNOW THAT. If you click on many of them - you will also see many many DIFFERENT eBay ID's - Store Names - all belonging to that one seller "in competition with himself?" YEA - RIGHT!!!!!
Message 24 of 73
latest reply

YUP!
Message 25 of 73
latest reply

LOL
Message 26 of 73
latest reply

WIfey or FRIEND has a PayPal account. Pays for item... Bingo. POSITIVE FEEDBACK. Lots of friends - Lots of FEEDBACK.

You can also cancel an item after sold and winner doesn't have to pay, but buyer can still leave POSITIVE FEEDBACK for his buddy!

ALSO - Big Stores can list thousands of listings included in their monthly fee FOR FREE. List Buy It Nows and the item stays listed - never drops off if he has it as more than 1 in stock... Ding Bat.

So many ways to "SHILL / SHAFT" us Americans.
Message 27 of 73
latest reply

Yup - I took the time to see what your photo represents. They should call that maneuver - "BAIT THE BUYER." LOL
Message 28 of 73
latest reply

I have put in the hours of research following "active bidding ID's" bidding on 6- 8- 12 items in that sellers SHOP at that very moment in time - Definately SHILLER... OH WAIT - GEE PRIVATE FEEDBACK... 99% of the time on the Account that I am RESEARCHING.

You know - a lot of "Us Americans" really are not THAT STUPID - and IF SO... well NOT FOR LONG!

One should do the HOMEWORK - RESEARCH before making such a laughable comment.
Message 29 of 73
latest reply

@deniece200909 wrote:

I'm NOT lying...

Unfortunately, while there is the possibility of shilling taking place, you have not enough evidence to prove your accusations since eBay doesn't give members access to all the data that would be required.  The best you can hope for is, after reporting your suspicions to eBay, that they conclude that shilling actually did take place and they kick the seller off eBay.  However, that is not likely to occur quickly.  Nor is eBay likely to advise you of any results of their investigations, citing privacy issues as the reason. That is why it is unwise to bid more than you are willing to pay in any auction.

I suggest that in the future you review a seller's feedback thoroughly before placing any bids. 

By the way, sellers are not permitted to sell with their feedback set to private.  Frankly, I place buyers with their feedback set to private on my BBL as a routine matter of course.  I use a buyer's feedback for others and their retraction record in my vetting process, so setting it to private hinders me in that process.  The result is my not wanting to do business with buyers having their feedback to that.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 30 of 73
latest reply