cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option for buyer to cancel order

I noticed on purchases the seller has not shipped out in time the choice to cancel the order.  It sounds like it's offered when sellers don't ship on time.  I assume it also does not give the seller a choice to decline it?    New from eBay?   

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Option for buyer to cancel order

Hmmmm. I haven't noticed that. I have an open order that hasn't shipped since 10 JAN , just showing " tracking number provided" with no update beyond that for 2 months... I tried to see if indeed I could cancel it, but it will not ( as has always been the case) let me file until the final EDD ( in this case, coming up in a few days).

From what I'm noticing, nothing has changed...🚫

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@simba6,

"I noticed on purchases the seller has not shipped out in time the choice to cancel the order. It sounds like it's offered when sellers don't ship on time".

Your wording is a bit confusing to me.  Do you mean, if a seller has not shipped within their stated handling time, the option for the buyer to cancel is available the day after the last shown will ship by date, for that reason?   Any chance you can take a screen shot, of what you have seen?

It seems to me that a seller who has for example; 'Will usually ship within 3 days of receiving Cleared payment" will really be in trouble. Not to mention the new/returning sellers who do not know about the payment holds, or those affected by family/medical emergencies, or very localized weather events.

"I assume it also does not give the seller a choice to decline it? New from eBay?" 

If they are doing that I would guess (I do not like the "A" word because of how it can be broken down) a seller would not have any choice in the matter. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

If a seller did not ship on time, the option to cancel was offered.   It only showed up when the seller was late.  My seller finally did ship and it no longer shows.

I have not seen such an option before could be new?  But then, I have not had many late to ship purchases either.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@simba6 wrote:

I noticed on purchases the seller has not shipped out in time the choice to cancel the order.  It sounds like it's offered when sellers don't ship on time.  I assume it also does not give the seller a choice to decline it?    New from eBay?   

Would be a step in the correct direction for buyer experience if that was offered. 

Not so great for sellers in certain instances such as catching carrier scans after the shipment is dropped on the USPS counter. But hey, the seller is responsible for choosing their carrier...

Posting ID
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@lakefor94 wrote:

@simba6 wrote:

Would be a step in the correct direction for buyer experience if that was offered. 

Not so great for sellers in certain instances such as catching carrier scans after the shipment is dropped on the USPS counter. But hey, the seller is responsible for choosing their carrier...

What I also see here is an antsy buyer being allowed to cancel on Monday morning for a purchase made on Saturday afternoon when the shipment could not even have been done yet.

When a purchase is made on Saturday, I do not immediately purchase a label for my Monday shipping. If a label was purchased right away eBay would drop the expected delivery date back, so I wait until the day I ship to purchase labels. Could be longer when there is a Monday Holiday.

I had a buyer leave raging feedback demanding that I cancel and refund just minutes after a purchase. They had made the request, but I was not sitting at my computer to comply the moment the request came in, so they went off the rails. Likely that they were conditioned by the big ecommerce sites where it is all handled electronically.  Let's hope that is not the next step in the improved process.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

It would be great for instances such as this one (in my case)  to shortstop a two -plus month wait for an item that is obviously never going to ship. This isn’t a business transaction, I have unwittingly given the seller an interest- free loan. 

I agree it wouldn’t be fair for buyers who can’t even wait 24 hours for a seller to ship, but 24 DAYS is a reasonable amount of time to give a buyer the chance to pull the plug on a known bad transaction and not wait another month before finally  getting a refund.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

If this option has indeed been seen by Simba, perhaps it is in a trial stage and only available to a limited demographic? I personally have seen nothing on my end to indicate any option besides waiting for the last EDD to pass

Message 8 of 8
latest reply