cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offers now require me to store access to my forms of payment on eBay. Hard pass.

The whole reason PayPal exists as a separate entity from eBay is that people don't trust eBay to store credit card information.  I'm not going to give eBay permission to store my credit card information or provide it with direct access into my PayPal account, because I don't trust eBay to store that information securely--and eBay's terms of use explicitly indemnify it from responsibility for harms from security breaches (including loss of my payment information).

Rather than addressing the actual issues with the platform (e.g., that reputational scores are somehow insufficient for sellers, though they were designed for exactly this issue), eBay is just trying to force users to comply.  All that does is push reputable buyers to other platforms.  That's exactly what I just did.  I went to make an offer, got a message from eBay that indicated, "We don't trust you, schmuck.  Trust us with your PayPal access," so I left and bought all of the items in my cart elsewhere.  I don't need the risk or the hassle.

Worse, eBay doesn't even respect users enough to link to explanations of how this sort of information is protected.  It's yet another in a long list of increasingly and needlessly aggravating blunders from eBay.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Offers now require me to store access to my forms of payment on eBay. Hard pass.

ebay should perhaps really focus on preserving & fostering buyer loyalty during this difficult economic period.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Its just like paying on any other site.

You input the information and IF the seller accepts your offer your payment is charged.

You can use your PayPal account for this also.

OR you can just pay the asking price and pay the exact same way. Input the information.

eBay doesnt have the payment information it goes through the payment processor.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@ncooty wrote:

Worse, eBay doesn't even respect users enough to link to explanations of how this sort of information is protected. 

It isn't. Adyen was the low* bidder, beating out to replace PayPal the former payments processor. 

The responders touting Starstruck as another Adyen client doesn't help that they are based overseas in Neanderthaland (where toleration of soft drugs in 'coffee shops' says something) with numerous satellite offices in even more iffy areas of the world -- all with full access to your protected information, and staffed by Edward Snowden and Jack Tartarsauce types.

*Adyen cut a bit too deep, so they routinely decline Amex cards at eBay checkout, whenever the Amex rate exceeds the percentage Adyen undertook to process card payments for eBay.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

As someone who has been selling and buying for 18 years on Ebay. They don't care and never will imo. The old saying one buyer leaves, another person discovers Ebay and becomes a buyer. 

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

The worst part is that with that they won't allow someone to pay with one of their own fleabay gift cards. 

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@slyders_finds wrote:

The old saying one buyer leaves, another person discovers Ebay and becomes a buyer. 

Sales may have peaked & in decline

Ebay may really need to spend a ton of money advertising itself to gain more buyers not just shoppers, or more sellers may leave or diversify to other selling platforms.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Thanks for your reply, though it sounds like conjecture to me.  I haven't seen an explanation directly from eBay about how they manage or secure the information--particularly when it is stored.  You seem to have glossed over the distinction between being a pass-through for payment information and storing that information, particularly related to PayPal.

What I see in many of these threads is sellers over-simplifying--often misrepresenting--the concern and making unfounded assertions about the process, seemingly because it benefits them.  I sympathize with sellers not wanting to waste their time with deadbeat bidders (just as buyers don't want to waste time with deadbeat sellers); that's what the reputational system is for.  It's as if many sellers just don't want to try to understand the actual concern.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Hi @ncooty 

You were okay with eBay having your PayPal information when eBay owned PayPal ... but after eBay and PayPal parted ways, you decided that only PayPal was trustworthy?  I've been trying to follow your argument ... but have to admit that I'm having difficulty.

I understand you're not liking to provide payment info before making an offer ... but it's not 'dangerous'.

We ALL our protected by federal law if our credit card information gets compromised.  We're not responsible for paying for items we haven't authorized personally.   I've had credit cards compromised maybe 5-6 times over the years.  [There's no way to know the 'how' of it.]  It was inconvenient ... but really no big deal.  I lost no money.  I really hate to see people being so scared about a problem with minimal consequences.  

[I'm an occasional eBay buyer ... no selling ... if that matters.  I have no more fear of providing eBay with my payment information than any other company.]

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

It's not about trusting PayPal or eBay, per se, but about trusting the protections they promise.  eBay simply doesn't promise much and explains very little.  You seem like a trusting person, whereas I haven't had my credit card information compromised nearly as much as you have.  There might be a connection there.

That said, one solution I would find acceptable and reasonable from eBay would be (i) that the pre-approvals are for specific transactions (i.e., a specific amount for a specific product) rather than blanket, retained pre-approval with stored information and (ii) an explanation that obligates eBay to those conditions.  That's not much to ask.  In that case, it would be similar to obtaining pre-approval for any specific purchase (like a pre-approved charge at a hotel) rather than blanket access to a form of payment, with no promises.

Separately, regarding other buyers' concerns, eBay might consider how to use pre-approvals as a mere back-stop rather than a primary method of payment.  E.g., eBay could use this form of payment if (i) a specific transaction has been pre-approved (e.g., via a binding offer or bid) and (ii) it has not been paid within X days of the obligation (presumably, X would = the maximum number of days under eBay's terms of service).

As I said, there are many better ways this could have been handled by eBay.  I hope they'll correct this current blunder and learn from it for future changes.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

That said, one solution I would find acceptable and reasonable from eBay would be (i) that the pre-approvals are for specific transactions (i.e., a specific amount for a specific product) rather than blanket, retained pre-approval with stored information and (ii) an explanation that obligates eBay to those conditions. 

------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't that how it works?

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

I pay my telephone, cable, Starbucks, insurance, food orders, Uber, etc. etc. with a credit card on file on all their platforms for years. Haven't had a problem yet. Plus I have two debits cards from 2 different banks to do them with. This is the high tech world we live in now. 

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

eBay is just forcing users to comply.

No one is forcing you. 

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@house*of*paws wrote:

You were okay with eBay having your PayPal information when eBay owned PayPal ... but after eBay and PayPal parted ways, you decided that only PayPal was trustworthy?  I've been trying to follow your argument ... but have to admit that I'm having difficulty. 

The difference is eBay now hands off payments to Adyen to 100% manage, in the same way that eBay hands off the Authentication Guarantee to authenticators to 100% handle, so you shouldn't be suffering any difficulty following this?

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@ncooty wrote:

It's not about trusting PayPal or eBay, per se, but about trusting the protections they promise.  eBay simply doesn't promise much and explains very little.  You seem like a trusting person, whereas I haven't had my credit card information compromised nearly as much as you have.  There might be a connection there.

@ncooty 
I don't think I'm especially trusting ... progressively less so with age.    It's more that I'm aware of the minimal consequences of having credit card information stolen ... and I've learned not to sweat the small stuff.

You are wanting eBay to offer you assurances that the federal government has granted us years ago.  We don't need eBay's 'protections'.  We have protections from our credit card company.

Please don't take my word for it.  Check it out for yourself.  

And BTW, it's not that I care whether or not you buy on eBay.  I care about people being uninformed about what they worry about.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply