cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offers now require me to store access to my forms of payment on eBay. Hard pass.

The whole reason PayPal exists as a separate entity from eBay is that people don't trust eBay to store credit card information.  I'm not going to give eBay permission to store my credit card information or provide it with direct access into my PayPal account, because I don't trust eBay to store that information securely--and eBay's terms of use explicitly indemnify it from responsibility for harms from security breaches (including loss of my payment information).

Rather than addressing the actual issues with the platform (e.g., that reputational scores are somehow insufficient for sellers, though they were designed for exactly this issue), eBay is just trying to force users to comply.  All that does is push reputable buyers to other platforms.  That's exactly what I just did.  I went to make an offer, got a message from eBay that indicated, "We don't trust you, schmuck.  Trust us with your PayPal access," so I left and bought all of the items in my cart elsewhere.  I don't need the risk or the hassle.

Worse, eBay doesn't even respect users enough to link to explanations of how this sort of information is protected.  It's yet another in a long list of increasingly and needlessly aggravating blunders from eBay.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Offers now require me to store access to my forms of payment on eBay. Hard pass.

@qeqo_0 wrote:

The difference is eBay now hands off payments to Adyen to 100% manage, in the same way that eBay hands off the Authentication Guarantee to authenticators to 100% handle, so you shouldn't be suffering any difficulty following this?

@qeqo_0 
Pardon my flippancy ... but so what?  We are protected by federal law ... via our credit card company ... for any fraud involving our credit card. 

We don't need eBay to protect us.  We just need to notify our credit card company if any unauthorized charges are made on our account ... be they from eBay, Adyen, PayPal, or phantom thieves.  We lose nothing.

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

Re: Offers now require me to store access to my forms of payment on eBay. Hard pass.

@house*of*paws wrote:

@qeqo_0 wrote:

The difference is eBay now hands off payments to Adyen to 100% manage, in the same way that eBay hands off the Authentication Guarantee to authenticators to 100% handle, so you shouldn't be suffering any difficulty following this?

@qeqo_0 
Pardon my flippancy ... but so what?  We are protected by federal law ... via our credit card company ... for any fraud involving our credit card. 

We don't need eBay to protect us.  We just need to notify our credit card company if any unauthorized charges are made on our account ... be they from eBay, Adyen, PayPal, or phantom thieves.  We lose nothing. 

You couldn't sink your teeth into the apple, so you moved on to an orange.

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

Most people store CC info on various websites. I store mine in a lot of places. I sell on here and use managed payments totally through Ebay. Been with them on this for over 4 or 5 years with them handling my payments my purchases. NO PROBLEMS. On sites where buyers are allowed to make offers and bid on items they should provide the info that shows they have the ability to pay for the item. Many sellers are here are fed up with buyers who make offers, hold up the payments for their products and/or refuse to pay for what they offered, or bid up to the high heavens. Glad they finally did this. If you are not going to purchase something do not bid or do not send offers that you will not pay for. Simple.

Message 18 of 18
latest reply