cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New "feature" - Promoted listings inserted into watchlist

Just want to give feedback that I really dislike promoted listings popping up in my personal watchlist.  They don't belong there - I can't think of another site that inserts advertising directly into a watchlist/wishlist. 

On top of that, I use the watchlist a lot, and move things into customized lists.  This has become a lot more awkward with an advertisement in the middle of the list.  It seems to also cause the checkboxes on the page to sometimes stop working and I have to refresh the page.  Additionally, when I have a bunch of auctions ending soon and I'm using the watchlist, I don't want to have these other items obscuring the view.  It's not a huge change, but it's really annoying the heck out of me.  Just wanted to cast my vote to revert back to a clean watchlist that does just what it's supposed to do - be my personal watchlist.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@arrrrpirates,

Posting about the issue on this board will not get the attention of ebay.  If you go to the headers above on this page and mouse over Community Info, then select Share ebay technical issues, and post about it there, it will be seen and others may add their comments. 

I have not had this happening to my watch list, so it may be a test feature. 

"Additionally, when I have a bunch of auctions ending soon and I'm using the watchlist, I don't want to have these other items obscuring the view".

If you have your watch list view set up to  Sort: Ending Soonest   which is on the right side of the page just above the first item in your list.  If it shows Priced: Lowest/Highest or something else, use the drop down arrow to reset the listings order.

Then Auctions or listing ending today or in the next few days, will show up first.  The promoted listings should not show up until near the end of their 30 day listing cycle. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

It's also showing up in custom watchlists too.  Would have rather seen this time spent on getting custom watchlists added to the app.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I'm using the desktop platform with Adblock and AdblockPlus enabled. I don't see promoted listings on my watchlists. Maybe eBay is rolling it out slowly? Hard to say.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@arrrrpirates,

Posting about the issue on this board will not get the attention of ebay.  If you go to the headers above on this page and mouse over Community Info, then select Share ebay technical issues, and post about it there, it will be seen and others may add their comments. 

"Additionally, when I have a bunch of auctions ending soon and I'm using the watchlist, I don't want to have these other items obscuring the view".

If you have your watch list view set up to  Sort: Ending Soonest   which is on the right side of the page just above the first item in your list.  If it shows Priced: Lowest/Highest or something else, use the drop down arrow to reset the listings order.

Then Auctions or listing ending today or in the next few days, will show up first.  The promoted listings should not show up until near the end of their 30 day listing cycle. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@mudshark61369 wrote:

@arrrrpirates,

@mudshark61369 resetting the list order doesn't change where or how the Promoted Listings display. It's a scrolling ad carousel inserted after the first result in the last, no matter how you sort it.

I'm also personally not a fan of the fact they inserted the Promoted version of one of the items in the watch list into that ad carousel.

If I had added it to my watch list without ever click on PL and then eventually purchased, the seller wouldn't pay an ad fee, but by putting it in the ads like this it increases the likelihood the buyer might click on it from there to purchase (instead of the actual entry in the watch list) which would then incur the fee.

plwatchlist1.jpg 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Nope the promoted listings show up in the center of the listings even when sorting by ending first.  It picks the halfway point and puts them there.  So, if you have 1 or 2 items, it's after the first one.  With 4 items, it would be between the 2nd and 3rd.

Thanks for the advice on submitting feedback.  I ended up contacting eBay support and submitted a complaint that way, but it won't hurt to make another post in technical support.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@valueaddedresource glad I'm not the only one who finds this annoying 🙂

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I have learned to completely ignore any promoted listings if it's not for an item that I am looking for. I have gotten good at ignoring every ad that shows up on my Facebook page.  I won't buy anything promoted or advertised in the flyers that come when I get my Kohls or Macys bill.  Learn to ignore too. Don't let it bother you . Don't let it divert your attention to what you were looking at or reading.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

This is a Selling Website. Those type of things will NEVER stop and they will CONTINUE to show in various places. 

It's just the way of the internet and ignoring things like that needs to become 2nd nature. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply