cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make an Offer - Instant Payment - Broken?

So - I found an item in Japan that I liked - made an offer & ebay states payment was required when making the offer, if accepted. I agreed & made offer.

Offer was accepted & I still had to manually make the payment. Did something break or malfunction? Should I worry about a double payment being processed?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Make an Offer - Instant Payment - Broken?

Probably because that was an international sale.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

ise710
Thrill-Seeker

@kalyoth wrote:

So - I found an item in Japan that I liked - made an offer & ebay states payment was required when making the offer, if accepted. I agreed & made offer.

Offer was accepted & I still had to manually make the payment. Did something break or malfunction? Should I worry about a double payment being processed? 

Did eBay tell you @kalyoth that the seller accepted your offer, but your payment failed, and to check it out?

ise710_0-1710833113370.jpeg

If so, the check out was your only payment, because you defaulted on your default payment method.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Offer was accepted & I still had to manually make the payment.

@kalyoth 

When you went to make the offer were you presented with a screen similar to this that you were REQUIRED to fill out BEFORE you could make the offer? 

offer3.jpg

That for quite some time is the form that would generate an automatic payment if the seller accepted.  You would NOT be shown that form unless the seller required you to put up a payment source before making an offer.  It was not a popular feature with buyers since it limited their payment options, and disallowed combined shipping.  Many sellers turned it off once they figured out what was going on. 

Subsequently, eBay was also making many unannounced changes to the process as well.  For a while, if a seller accepted your offer, eBay would rename it as the "SELLER SENT YOU AN OFFER" with no notifications to either party.  That was a real mess, which eBay refused to discuss even though a bad time was being had by both buyers and sellers alike. 

It may be that your seller does not require the auto-pay (no screen pop up), it may be that no auto-payment was required due to it being an international purchase, or as suggested if your pre selected payment failed, it would revert to a regular acceptance situation giving you time to pay, combine items, and pick the payment source of your choice. 

Since there are others reporting the same thing over the past few days i.e. auto-billing is not happening, it may be that eBay has turned it off even if you have to fill out that form in order to proceed. 

eBay DID remove the requirement for AUCTIONS, and sellers can still manually turn off the buyer requirement for making offers.

So until we get more reports from users, or eBay decides to discuss this with its users, we are still left to guess whether it is a glitch, intended change, or a new test to see if people will still back out when the pop up form appears mandating buyer compliance. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

They did not.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

That IS what I was presented. I run into it frequently for domestic purchases & never have an issue with needing to transact payment. Was just odd that for this one it did not automatically do the same.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

Since there are others reporting the same thing over the past few days i.e. auto-billing is not happening, it may be that eBay has turned it off even if you have to fill out that form in order to proceed. 

eBay DID remove the requirement for AUCTIONS, and sellers can still manually turn off the buyer requirement for making offers.

So until we get more reports from users, or eBay decides to discuss this with its users, we are still left to guess whether it is a glitch, intended change, or a new test to see if people will still back out when the pop up form appears mandating buyer compliance. 

I hope what your saying is true. I haven't made an offer in almost a year and many sellers don't even understand if you message them and think your trying to scam them.

I also saw they did away with the option for auctions but I totally sourced all my laptops and parts from elsewhere beforehand rather than buying them on ebay any longer . I wasn't going to wait until ebay pulled the rug out first since that is my bread and butter. I may actually switch back if I see them totally scrap auto-pay for offers too.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@kalyoth,

You replied to @ittybitnot 's reply with the screen shot of a payment, writing:

"That IS what I was presented. I run into it frequently for domestic purchases & never have an issue with needing to transact payment. Was just odd that for this one it did not automatically do the same".

Which leads me to ask a few questions. 

Is your seller a newer one? 

Did the listing have payment in a foreign currency with a U.S. dollar conversion?

If your default payment method is PayPal did you have PP's pay in 4, or credit selected as your preferred/primary payment method, instead of a card or bank account?

It could be the payment failed because of your primary/preferred Payment selection.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 8 of 8
latest reply