cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Delivered to PO Box Is Missing

I had a purchase shipped to my PO box. It was marked as delivered at 9 pm in the evening with a comment of "DELIVERED INDIVIDUAL PICKED UP AT PO". Obviously this isn't possible since my post office isn't open then. It never showed up in my PO box and there's be no sign of it since. I've asked about it at my post office last week and they said they would look for it but I haven't heard back from them. Anything else I can do or am I out of luck? 
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Item Delivered to PO Box Is Missing

USPS should have data that shows where the delivery scan was made and what address was on the package. They won't be able to tell you the address, but they can verify whether it was yours. That information will dictate your next actions. If the package was addressed to an address other than yours come back and we can tell you how to proceed. But if the error is on the part of USPS your issue is with them. In that case neither eBay nor the seller can help.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

USPS should have data that shows where the delivery scan was made and what address was on the package. They won't be able to tell you the address, but they can verify whether it was yours. That information will dictate your next actions. If the package was addressed to an address other than yours come back and we can tell you how to proceed. But if the error is on the part of USPS your issue is with them. In that case neither eBay nor the seller can help.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

The time stamp could be time the carrier's scanning device was uploaded or the time it reached the loading dock at the PO or when it was stuffed in your box. My PO closes to the public at 4:30pm and doesn't reopen until 9am but there are people in there filling boxes after hours because I've  heard them in there late at night when I check my mail. I had tracking show delivered at 3:57am before and it was there. Sometimes I get mail intended for the box above mine or below or next to mine. So I know they can put mail in the wrong box. Most people are honest and they'll take it to the counter and say this isn't my mail.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

It's possible that they put it in the one of your neighbors boxes. Either the box above, below, to the left or to the right. I have received items from the boxes just above mine and just below.  I was honest and returned it.  Let's hope that if this was the case, your "neighbor" will return it.  Ask your post office if perhaps they can put a little note on these mailboxes surrounding yours and ask them if they received the item by mistake and can they return it "no questions asked."  Hopefully, you get it. Otherwise, you can't go after the seller.  This is on the post office.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the information.  I confirmed with the post office the address was correct on their end, and there's no evidence that the package was sent back or undeliverable. Unfortunately there is no sign of the package.  My guess is that it was misdelivered to another box and the owner kept it or threw it out.  I suppose there is also the possibility that it is in one of the other boxes still.

I had another package 2 weeks after this one which was delivered to one of the parcel lockers in the lobby and they put the key in the wrong PO box.  They were able to retrieve that one.  

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Seems like it's time for you to have a discussion with your local postmaster.  

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I would a note to the folks in the boxes near you. Give the notes to the supervisor at your post office and ask them to put one in each of the boxes.   The one above, below and left and right and ask if they received something that did not belong to them by mistake. If they could kindly return it to the clerk and have the clerk put it in your po box .   I too have gotten mail from the person above my box and below my box.  It's easy for the clerk to slip the item into the wrong box.    Make sure you write your PO BOX # on the letter .  Make sure that you write "no questions asked, I just need my item. It was a gift for my X.  Make X  your child or mom or whatever depending on what the item was .  Hopefully the person is sympathetic and will return it.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply