cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it safe to buy stuff from eBay?

Hello Guys,

As we all know, eBay is an online marketplace where people can buy and sell a wide variety of items. It has become one of the world's largest online marketplaces, with more than 1 billion active users. eBay allows users to buy and sell items in a wide variety of categories, including electronics, fashion, collectibles, and home & garden. eBay is a convenient place to find great deals on a wide variety of items, and it's easy to get started selling your own stuff, too. But here are some questions in my mind about eBay.

Have you ever bought a car from eBay?

How does buying cars on eBay work?

What is the usual delivery time on eBay?

Have you ever been scammed on eBay?

Why do most people choose Amazon rather than eBay for buying products?

Where can I find eBay promo deals and coupons? While searching on Google I have found some coupon sites that claim to have valid eBay coupon codes. These sites are below.  Any of you know about these sites?

https://www.retailmenot.com/view/ebay.com

https://www.joinhoney.com/shop/ebay

https://www.coupongot.com/

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@nah_468 

I wouldn't buy a vehicle anywhere without seeing, checking it out and test driving it first.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I've been on eBay since 2010, and with over 500 transactions, I think I've had a problem with only 2.

Only buy from reputable sellers with a good feedback rating, and you shouldn't have any problems, but, as previously mentioned, I certainly wouldn't buy a car on here

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Hi~~ I've bought 2 cars on ebay with success!  As with any purchases, due your own due diligence: Read feedbacks (Feedback left for OTHERS can tell you more than just for buyers, etc.) look to Carfax for history (that's the VIN number you'll need to do that), use the Blue Book for values, send a couple of messages to see if the seller is open and not evasive, check to see how, and price, the delivery will be made.  Others will come up with more advise so listen to them, too, but I've had good luck with buying that way and it was fun, too!  Very exciting! Most sellers are very interested in building their biz and it's not profitable or smart to rip people off. So unless they're obvious, you can relax and enjoy the transaction.

P.S. I'm also a fan of buying in person, but buying on ebay did work for me, too.  

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I was just thinking: Is this your buying ID?  You need to get some feedbacks under your belt since buying a car is a high-end purchase and with no feedbacks, you'll be seen as a scammer by the sellers and possibly blocked. You'll be your own worst enemy, so get some buying feedbacks!  Postcards are low priced as are other things.  You don't need high priced items, just some low priced ones to get those feedbacks to show your history of buying. 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I've been on eBay for 25 years, and I can count my problem transactions on the fingers of one hand. The most important thing in being safe on eBay is learning to vet your sellers. Before any purchase you want to first look at the seller's feedback. Of course you want to look at the percentage (as a general rule you want it to be 98.6% or above). But you should also take the time to read the comments on seller's negative and neutral feedback, as well as any response the seller has made to them. Often that will tell you whether the seller was at fault or whether it was a problematic buyer. 

As for buying cars, first and foremost you need to know that any car you find on another site that says eBay is handling the sale is a scam. Ebay doesn't do that. Beyond that, I question how many cars you're going to find listed that are located in Pakistan. 

Delivery time will vary depending on the seller's handling time and location, and the shipping service. But every listing will show you the estimated delivery dates before you make the purchase.

As to the Amazon v eBay issue, I would disagree with your statement that most people use Amazon. It depends on what you're buying. I shop both places. The things I buy on eBay generally can't be found on Amazon.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@nah_468 wrote:

Hello Guys,

As we all know, eBay is an online marketplace where people can buy and sell a wide variety of items. It has become one of the world's largest online marketplaces, with more than 1 billion active users. eBay allows users to buy and sell items in a wide variety of categories, including electronics, fashion, collectibles, and home & garden. eBay is a convenient place to find great deals on a wide variety of items, and it's easy to get started selling your own stuff, too. But here are some questions in my mind about eBay.

Have you ever bought a car from eBay?

How does buying cars on eBay work?

What is the usual delivery time on eBay?

Have you ever been scammed on eBay?

Why do most people choose Amazon rather than eBay for buying products?

Where can I find eBay promo deals and coupons? While searching on Google I have found some coupon sites that claim to have valid eBay coupon codes. These sites are below.  Any of you know about these sites?

https://www.retailmenot.com/view/ebay.com

https://www.joinhoney.com/shop/ebay

https://www.coupongot.com/

Location is a problem for you as shipping, import export laws also apply.

Any vehicle not found on eBay and they say eBay is handling the sale is a SCAM.

As for finding things on the net: that is a good way to find yourself in trouble or ripped off.

eBay does only eBay, and has nothing  from them other sites..

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@nah_468,

You gave your country of registry as Pakistan and if you are located in another country, it would be best to start a new account with that country of registry.  There are a lot of sellers who will not ship to Pakistan and changing your address alone will not keep you from being blocked from buying from them.

Other than that you should be fine if you always check each seller's feedback profile page before buying from them.  You do that by clicking on the number in (  ) to the right of their user name.  On that page there is a box with the numbers of the 3 types of feedback the seller has received in the last 12 months.  You can click on the numbers of neutral and negative feedback if they have any, to read only those comments.  

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Why do you ask specifically about cars on eBay?

Given your location (Pakistan) eBay is the last place you should be car-shopping.  

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@nah_468 wrote:

Buy?

Safest there is.

Sell?

Least safe there is.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

If you found a car or any vehicle on another site and they told you eBay would handle any part of it you are being scammed.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

With cars your supposed to inspect it person and then pay when you pick it up. 

I do not suggest you by mail order.

Most of those coupon sites are scams. At least any that ask for any payment are.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I've been on eBay since 2000.  I haven't had one bad transaction.  I mainly buy dolls and coins. I bought a few stereo components.  I look at the feedback of my potential sellers.  I took a chance with a low feedback seller once and the transaction was perfect. 

As for a car?  Never and never will. I need to see it first.  

Message 13 of 13
latest reply