cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do manage receiving many packages from eBay as a buyer?

Lately, I've been purchasing a lot on eBay for used products that offer an excellent value. Many items are the exact same product and they sometimes come to me out of order. Something I ordered yesterday is here today, something I ordered 10 days is still travelling. 

What strategies do you implement in receiving your orders? 

Sometimes sellers do not include any paperwork in the package. So, it is not clear which order it is for. Sometimes I use the tracking number and backtrack based on the ship/pick up date what order it is for.

It is more work, but I am thinking of changing the shipping address and including a reference number so at least I have to lookup. But I tend to buy many items in one order, so I don't know how that will work out. 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: How do manage receiving many packages from eBay as a buyer?

Tracking number is the best way. It's easy to look at 'Purchases' and those that have been 'delivered' will state so; so it's easy to establish which order is which. 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

"... and they sometimes come to me out of order."

@tekgems 

You're buying from multiple sellers who all have different Handling Times, shipping methods, etc. They don't know of the other orders and aren't trying to confuse you. I'm with @stainlessenginecovers... the best way to sort them is through your Purchase History.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I suppose you are right. Sometimes I get a package and the seller does not enter their tracking number. In that case, it is typically a process of elimination for the same item w/o a tracking number I guess.

those that have been 'delivered' will state so

Maybe it is just me, but USPS will say it is delivered and eBay has not updated this for many days. So, for my order, eBay's purchases screen will say "This item has been shipped." even though the order was delivered to me. I think it depends on the text of delivered that seems to throw eBay's code off.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

There is no way.  Seriously.  Tracking #'s can change in mid-ship.  Or seller doesn't provide track #.  Or some items on same order w/out track #.  Delivered isn't always accurate (many shipped to different state).  If you buy many similar items from different seller's it's a nightmare.     If items come with item # I will write #'s on package.  I keep a shoebox filled with ship packages.  It helps?    I get my laptop & my husband's side by side and open one to ebay and one to a spreadsheet I keep on ebay purchases.    SELLER.  ITEM PREFIX. ITEM#.  PURCH DATE. *SHIPPED (per ebay). DATE. TRACK. *DELIVERED (per ebay).  *RECEIVED.  *X RECEIVED. *FEEDBACK GIVEN.  *OPEN ISSUE. *FINALIZED.      Plus color/material & other.    (Items with * are checkboxes).

Setting up takes a little time and entering data seems redundant.  However, I have found it to save time and headaches overall.  I can glance at spreadsheet rather than scroll through 700 items from last 60 days to miss item and have to go through again.   or get 'unable to complete request' from ebay.

Added benefit is being able to sort spreadsheet by item #, date purch, track#, seller or  however I need.  I do have to update every day (about 15*20 min) but that's nothing compared to the ebay way.

It might be possible for you to keep a list of sellers that don't include item info with shipment, and when at checkout, you can, just prior to paying, send a message to seller regarding purchase and request your own reference # next to your name on label.  It doesn't help with each item in package but does give you a better reference point.

If you figure some better way, please, PLEASE contact me & let me know.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

It is true, some sellers don't include tracking... so it then becomes a process of elimination when it is duplicate items. That's rare though.

In my ship to, I put the date I ordered the items as part of my name. So, I put SA1211-11  to say I ordered it on Saturday, December 11th at 11AM. Then most sellers include this information on their shipping label. Any small potato seller will likely use eBay's shipping label which automatically includes that info. So far, it has worked out well. Since packages come from all over the world, having the order date helps to mark shipments as received later on since eBay gives you the purchase history by date.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Print out your orders. You can then mark them off when received.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

If nothing else, match the seller's name to the order when it comes in. The return address will have the shippers name or eBay user's name. Logistically, it would be impossible to receive in the same order they were bought, coming from different sellers/locations.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Can you download order history as a file? Like for Excel?

I agree the My Ebay system could be considered clunky when purchasing a lot.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I'm not sure if you can download purchase history that way. There's a bug where the package is delivered but eBay doesn't code it as delivered in purchase history. That's a bit annoying 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply