cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having an issue with a seller; how will this be ruled if I file a dispute?

alphawolf98
Adventurer

I purchased an item on 8/23; on the original listing, it was estimated to arrive via USPS on 9/21. When I placed the order, I received a tracking number. After a few days this tracking number showed my item was set to arrive on 8/27, well before the original estimated date. However, on the 27th the item sat in a shipping facility in my state and stayed there until 9/10 when it shipped across the country to another state, arriving on 9/11 at another location.

I contacted the seller and filed a refund request.

They responded, a day later, with a new tracking number which showed my item as being delivered by USPS on August 27 on my front porch.

I don't know what's going on here. I never received my item despite USPS showing it was delivered. And whether it was or not, I had no way of knowing.

Also, there are 4 negative reviews about the seller claiming those people got a "fake" or wrong tracking number, and the item was either never sent, or shown as arriving somewhere else (like in my situation). These reviews are new and were not there when I ordered the item.

What can be done in a situation like this? Where does the fault lie in this situation? Am I out for the money I paid? Does this sound like a scam?

Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Having an issue with a seller; how will this be ruled if I file a dispute?

In each of these 3 situations where the tracking number shows Delivered:

- The tracking number shows Delivered, but no item has arrived

- The tracking number shows Delivered, but there's nothing in the box

- The tracking number shows Delivered, but one of the items is not in the box

You would start a return request using the reason "Missing parts or pieces" because the item is missing, and you have nothing to return. If instead you start a refund request, you will lose, as in each of the 3 situations, tracking shows Delivered.

Your seller will have to either refund no return needed, or issue a return label for you to return the missing item for a refund after it is delivered back to the seller.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

"or issue a return label for you to return the missing item for a refund after it is delivered back to the seller."

Well if he sends a label for me to return it and there's nothing to return, what happens then? Can't he claim I'm not returning the "missing parts or pieces?"

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Let us know what you find out. I have had this happen with the changing of tracking numbers. I did finally receive my item but I thought the changing of tracking numbers was weird.  

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

If you bought three books and one is missing, he sends a label for me to return it and there's nothing to return, what happens then? Can't he claim I'm not returning the "missing parts or pieces?"

If you bought a rare vintage collectible and it is not in the box, he sends a label for me to return it and there's nothing to return, what happens then? Can't he claim I'm not returning the "missing parts or pieces?"

If you bought an item and you find out it was addressed to someone else in your zip code, he sends a label for me to return it and there's nothing to return, what happens then? Can't he claim I'm not returning the "missing parts or pieces?"

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@alphawolf98,

Because the seller provided a tracking number that shows the item was delivered (somewhere) you will lose the original item Not Received (INR) dispute because of the tracking.  The automated system that decides the disputes is dumb.  It only checks the tracking number shown on a listing for a delivery scan.

However, if you go to you P.O. and get the info about the tracking the address it was delivered to, and the type of package in writing on USPS stationary.  You can appeal the original decision. (link below)

When you appeal, you can add a clear photo or scan of the USPS information showing the package was not delivered to your address, to the dispute which will be handled by a person not a computer.  Go to the resolution center to find the closed dispute. There should be a button there that says send an appeal.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/returns-refunds/appeal-ebays-decision-return-missing-item-buyers?id...

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@vintagemoth12,

"I have had this happen with the changing of tracking numbers. I did finally receive my item but I thought the changing of tracking numbers was weird".

In your situation it is likely the seller manually uploaded the tracking information and added the wrong tracking number to the purchase details, and had to change it.  If they put the wrong shipping label on a package there is a way to have the USPS redirect a package before it is listed as out for delivery, but there is a charge for that service.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@otow_18 wrote:

In each of these 3 situations where the tracking number shows Delivered:

- The tracking number shows Delivered, but no item has arrived

- The tracking number shows Delivered, but there's nothing in the box

- The tracking number shows Delivered, but one of the items is not in the box

You would start a return request using the reason "Missing parts or pieces" because the item is missing, and you have nothing to return. If instead you start a refund request, you will lose, as in each of the 3 situations, tracking shows Delivered.

Your seller will have to either refund no return needed, or issue a return label for you to return the missing item for a refund after it is delivered back to the seller.

This bad advice and will disqualify you from Buyer Protection if the seller knows the rules. The place to start is to file a case with USPS and  have them check the address of where the item was delivered. Then you proceed accordingly. If it was delivered to a different address file an INR with eBay but contact them first with the case info from USPS. If it was delivered to your address then a porch  pirate took it and that is between you and USPS as you seller delivered the item. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@otow_18 wrote:

You would start a return request using the reason "Missing parts or pieces" because the item is missing, and you have nothing to return. 

If you have" nothing to return ", because you never received delivery, you do not open a request as missing parts or pieces.

OP does not even have the packaging to return, because the op states the package was not received.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

What is an INR?

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@alphawolf98 wrote:

What is an INR?

Item Not Received and it is the type of dispute one should file if their purchase has not arrived.

Do not file an INR dispute if the tracking shows delivery has been made or if something is missing from a delivered purchase.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 11 of 11
latest reply