cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting shafted on Spice Girls CDs

I've ordered a couple Spice Girls CDs here on eBay.  The first was, naturally, their first album, which I received in a less-than-playable form.  The CD would skip terribly on as many as 3 of the 10 songs.  I ended up not sending it back because I only spent $3.27 on it.  Just today, I received the copy of Spiceworld that I ordered on December 28th.  The CD was advertised as new and even came with the plastic film covering you typically find on new CDs.  When I put the CD in, it turned out to be Spice, not Spiceworld.  I'm sending it back tomorrow.  Are there any RELIABLE sellers selling Spiceworld?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Getting shafted on Spice Girls CDs

Did you check the feedback of those sellers before making your purchases?

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I've had the kind of problems you describe buying from the mega sellers of media items. Books, video games, dvds, cds. They buy their inventory by the truck load and have employees list it in mass with out much care  or attention paid to the item or its condition. I only buy from those guys when they are the cheapest and I don't care much about condition.

When I do care about condition I like to buy from small-medium sellers who are taking good photos and inspecting items carefully because they can't afford to absorb blemishes on their reputation like the big guys can.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@traam.us.7a8jhqema wrote:

I've ordered a couple Spice Girls CDs here on eBay.  The first was, naturally, their first album, which I received in a less-than-playable form.  The CD would skip terribly on as many as 3 of the 10 songs.  I ended up not sending it back because I only spent $3.27 on it.  Just today, I received the copy of Spiceworld that I ordered on December 28th.  The CD was advertised as new and even came with the plastic film covering you typically find on new CDs.  When I put the CD in, it turned out to be Spice, not Spiceworld.  I'm sending it back tomorrow.  Are there any RELIABLE sellers selling Spiceworld?

You may already know to do this but I thought it worth mentioning especially since you stated you are already returning it tomorrow ... please go through the proper steps for returning an item for a refund. Otherwise, we may be seeing you back here with a whole different issue. Just saying.

It is against eBay policy to post seller ID's, just do your homework first. I agree with previous posters, check the feedback of the sellers you buy from. Before you buy. That's not a given that your experience will be positive but the odds are much greater that it will be. Buying should be fun, not the opposite. Also, if the price seems too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@traam.us.7a8jhqema,

"The CD would skip terribly on as many as 3 of the 10 songs.  I ended up not sending it back because I only spent $3.27 on it".

Before you send the other CD back you really need to read the terms of ebay's money back guarantee (MBG) Both CDs are coverd by the policy under the Significantly Not As Described (SNAD) policy.  When you receive an item that is SNAD the seller upon receiving a return request should provide you with a return shipping label (no matter what thier return policy is) If they will not pay the return shipping you open a SNAD dispute.  The seller has 3 days to respond, if they do not you ask ebay to step in and get a refund. If they want the item back you will be sent a return label, once tracking shows the item is on its way, you will get a refund.  The seller may give you a refund without you having to return an item as well.  Read all of the info in the link below and pay attention to the time frames for taking actions.  You have up to 30 days from tracking showing an item was delivered, or if no tracking was used 30 days from the last estimated delivery date, to file disputes.

https://pages.ebay.com/ebay-money-back-guarantee/

In the future, you need to vet your sellers. You do that by checking their feedback profile. Do not just go by feedback percentage alone.  On a seller's profile page you can click on the numbers of non positive feedback to read only those comments.  One of the seller's you bought from recently has a 99.1% rating but has received over 5K negatives & 4K neutrals in the last year.

FYI, many CD / DVD sellers reshrink wrap used discs. That is no indication a disc is new.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

The first thing I do is check the negative feedback for the seller, especially for the last 30 days. Then I look at the percent of all feedback that is positive. I want to see 99% or more. I took a chance and bought from a seller with 96% positive feedback and only after I placed my order I saw many negative feedbacks about very slow shipping time (2 months!)

Next you can ask Ebay for a refund because item is not described but first check the item listing. Does the listing say "as is" or "may not play"? Then you might be out of luck. The "as is" clause gets the seller off the hook.

Buyer beware.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Next you can ask Ebay for a refund because item is not described but first check the item listing. Does the listing say "as is" or "may not play"? Then you might be out of luck. The "as is" clause gets the seller off the hook.

Buyer can open a not as describe case, seller may or may not just give a refund, they may request return for refund, in which case, they pay for the return shipping and refund item price and original shipping when tracking shows delivery to them.

Buyer beware?  Caveat Emptor?  Absolutely.

There is no as is on Ebay.  The MBG protects the buyer from receiving not as described.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

The person who sold me that not-Spiceworld CD gave me my money back and said that I actually didn't need to send back the item.  I just contacted the person who sold me that defective Spice CD last month to tell them what went wrong.  I don't expect to get money back on that, I ended up pitching the CD, thinking that the cost of return shipping would negate the recovery from my $3.27 loss.  Oh well...I ordered the CD again from a different seller, but if it ends up being another dud, I may just give up on Spice Girls CDs and go the digital download route once I have the money to do so.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Hey there. 

This is OffTopic and I apologize for that. Do you know anything about the Spice Girl's cover of Slade's Christmas song? I don't know what it's called, it goes "Here it is, Merry Christmas, Everybody's Having Fun..."  It is literally the only song I haven't been able to find to download anywhere (and I download some obscure stuff). Just curious. 

As for your OP, I would just check the sellers feedback as others have suggested. If it was me I'd probably try ordering it here from a different seller, but I know the frustration of just wanting to go to A to get something like that.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I dont have any of the spice girls stuff right now but I check my stuff when I get it, when I sell it and before I send it out.  That being said, I had a cd sold last month that was checked when I got it, when I went to sell it and right before I sent it out I noticed it was a different cd.  I dont know how the cd changed but it was pretty weird.  

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@cherry*fizz wrote:

Hey there. 

This is OffTopic and I apologize for that. Do you know anything about the Spice Girl's cover of Slade's Christmas song? I don't know what it's called, it goes "Here it is, Merry Christmas, Everybody's Having Fun..."  It is literally the only song I haven't been able to find to download anywhere (and I download some obscure stuff). Just curious. 

I saw the Spice Girls sing it live when I took my daughter to see them. It's called Merry Christmas everybody, although Slade called it Merry Xmas everybody when they released the song in 1973.

There is a video of the Spice Girls on YouTube singing the song live at a concert, perhaps you could download that?

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I think what @*madison means is his girls are Tibetan Mastiffs but yet memorized the entire spice girls catalog and wants to know why you think you were obligated to pay return shipping on a defective item?
Message 12 of 12
latest reply