cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed-Ex Shipment Requiring Signature-How to Handle

It's a constant and recurring pet peeve of mine when sellers ship an item to me with signature required when the price is well below the threshold for where Ebay requires it. As someone who works a regular job, it's virtually impossible for me to physically be present for delivery, and consequently for USPS delivers it means a Saturday morning trip to the PO that often takes an hour(15 minutes each way, 30 minutes usually at the PO).

Not too long ago, I bought something that was $230 including shipping-it's below the "old" signature threshold, which was $250, but the last I checked that had been raised to $750.

In any case, delivery was attempted on Friday, and apparently they're going to re-attempt tomorrow(I'm currently out of town and won't return until tomorrow evening). Past experience with Fed-Ex tells me that they attempt delivery 3 times then return to the sender.

Often, I can get around signature required issues with Fed-Ex by re-directing shipments to a Fed-Ex office store-I use one that's about a half mile from my work, and can either run over there on my lunch break or go after work. Alternatively, if I know ahead of time(again, didn't expect it on this shipment, and it wasn't stated as such in the shipping information) I will just send items directly to work(I have to be careful with this since UPS and Fed-Ex come to the room next to my office and I'm often the one who signs for them, but USPS goes through the campus mail room and they get funny about personal packages).

Sometimes, though-and this is the case with this particular shipper-the shipment is specified such that only the sender can make the request to deliver to a Fed-Ex office location. When I realized that the tracking info showed "direct signature required" last Tuesday(well ahead of the scheduled delivery on Friday) I contacted the seller and asked if they would request hold for pick-up at the specified Fed-Ex Office store. They never responded to my request.

I know that I can sign the slip and request delivery to my neighbors, but the only neighbors I actually know work about the same schedule I do so there's no guarantee that they would be able to sign for it either.

So, in a round-a-bout way I'm asking if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can actually get this package delivered. Also, I do WANT the item, but in the even that it gets returned to the sender, how is that treated? I know you forfeit buyer protection if you refuse delivery, but how does that work if the package simply is "undeliverable?"

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Fed-Ex Shipment Requiring Signature-How to Handle

Even though I am irritated with the seller, I'd rather let them refund voluntarily rather than open a case...

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

I contacted the seller and asked if they would request hold for pick-up at the specified Fed-Ex Office store. They never responded to my request.
___

If the seller ignored you then, what makes you think he'll refund voluntarily?
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

Just to provide a follow up and ultimate resolution to this thread:

The camera arrived back at the seller's last week, and they sent it back out to me without signature confirmation the next day.

Everything arrived and it's overall in much nicer condition than described. In addition, the listing had initially been advertised with an upgraded "Acute-Matte" focusing screen, and the seller had initially messaged me and said that the camera didn't have one and offered to cancel the sale. I instead negotiated that they include a few other items in lieu of that. The delivered camera included all the negotiated "extras" AND had an acute-matte screen-the screen is in solid "user" condition and I'd budgeted $40-50 to buy one in this condition to go with the camera.

So, even though the whole thing was a bit of a pain, I can't complain about the ultimate resolution. Once the seller realized there was a problem and started talking to me, they bent over backwards to make me happy.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

Thanks for the followup. It is nice to hear that buyers and sellers can and do still talk and work things out.
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

As a Buyer, I strongly suggest to STAY AWAY from FedEx. 

We purposely avoid buying Ebay items that ship via FedEx - their online and telephone help is almost completely worthless.  Their drivers are the most dishonestin the carrier business.  Way too much of a hassle. 

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

JUST Spent 1/2 hour on phone with FedEx, "Account Services: this time, for about 20th time.  They said (this time!) that technically "Ebay" is the shipper, and Ebay determines the restrictions (not the Seller!) for every shipment.  I asked if it is in the Ebay agreement.  FedEx said every shipment is different, and they have no idea how to lift a restriction on pick up/

I said Thanks again for nothing useful.

STAY AWAY FROM FEDEX!!!

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

@donofthedesert,

You've replied to a topic written over a year ago and to one person who hasn't been active for since then.  If you've had a problem with a recent Fed-Ex delivery, you should post your own topic about it.

"JUST Spent 1/2 hour on phone with FedEx, "Account Services: this time, for about 20th time. They said (this time!) that technically "Ebay" is the shipper, and Ebay determines the restrictions (not the Seller!) for every shipment".

Chances are the call center has flagged you because of so many calls,  so you were deflected by the rep. The person who purchases a label from a shipping company is the shipper. Since eBay does not ship anything them selves, it is individual sellers who select shipping agencies, not eBay. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 22 of 23
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 23 of 23
latest reply