cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FB Marketplace to eBay...Is this legit? Seem like a scam

I found a good deal on a used truck that I really like.  It was NOT thru ebay however.  I facebook messaged this "dealership" and it was an auto reply asking for my email to communicate.  Many dealership do this, no harm yet.  I got an email from a lady and this is what it say....

"Hi, thanks for getting back to me. My 1988 Toyota Pickup at $1600 is still available for sale. It is in great shape. it has no damage, no scratches, dents or hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained. It has 85389 miles, 4-Wheel Drive, manual transmission, engine 3.0L V6, gas, and clean title. Everything works great, it was recently professionally detailed interior and exterior. I am selling it because my husband passed away last 3 months ago. I was completely devastated and I am still trying to recover. It reminds me a lot of him, and that doesn't help me at all in the healing process and my daughter can't see me like this anymore, that’s the reason I want to sell it asap. I also got a new job after Michael passed away and moved to my sister in Augusta, ME and the vehicle is here with me, many other things have priority now so it has to go. Before leaving I had prearranged a deal with ebay buyer protection so my presence isn't necessary. If you want to buy it the deal will be done using ebay's services and I can provide free delivery as I have a promotional free shipping card with them and I am planning to redeem it for this transaction if we move forward. The deal includes 5 days to test and inspect the vehicle. No money will be released to me until you decided to keep it or not. If you want to start the process all I need from you is the following info: your full name, full delivery address and phone number. Once I got all the info, I will forward it to ebay and register you as my buyer. They'll email you with all the information you need to complete this deal.
Waiting on your response asap.

Thank you"

Is this a scam?  I have never done this before.  Why wouldn't this already be on eBay?  Thanks so much.
Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Big fat SCAM!!! Thats not how Ebay works, if you had agreed, she would have next ask you to pay with gift cards, because gift cards are untraceable..scammers love them.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 35
latest reply

That's crazy!  Thanks for the heads up.

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

Glad you came here first, its an old old scam, but unbelievable how many people still fall for it.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 4 of 35
latest reply

Yes it is a scam. Standard red flags. They send fake eBay email and a fake webpage asking to be paid via gift cards.

I am selling it because my husband passed away last 3 months ago. I was completely devastated and I am still trying to recover. It reminds me a lot of him, and that doesn't help me at all in the healing process and my daughter can't see me like this anymore, that’s the reason I want to sell it asap. I also got a new job after Michael passed away and moved to my sister in Augusta, ME and the vehicle is here with me, many other things have priority now so it has to go. Before leaving I had prearranged a deal with ebay buyer protection so my presence isn't necessary. If you want to buy it the deal will be done using ebay's services and I can provide free delivery as I have a promotional free shipping card with them and I am planning to redeem it for this transaction if we move forward. The deal includes 5 days to test and inspect the vehicle. No money will be released to me until you decided to keep it or not. If you want to start the process all I need from you is the following info: your full name, full delivery address and phone number. Once I got all the info, I will forward it to ebay and register you as my buyer. They'll email you with all the information you need to complete this deal.
Waiting on your response asap.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

@russellmoran 
As already posted it's a scam 
Use the link below to read up on ebay  motors  & send the scam email to the spoof address in the link below

http://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/eua?pid=882

Nothing from Facebook, Letgo, Craigslist or other sites is related to ebay  

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

Total scam. I received the same email for a different item. Will try to report it as scam. The item I was interested in was listed on craigslist.

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

I would report it to Facebook marketplace place too 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 8 of 35
latest reply

LOL "Promotional free shipping card!"  

No such thing.

eBay doesn't ship ANYTHING, sellers do the shipping.

No money will be released to me until you decided to keep it or not.

eBay doesn't handle payments on vehicles.  A seller will not ship a vehicle until the money is in their pocket.  There's no inspection period.  Vehicles can't be be returned.  

Somebody's playing you.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

@russellmoran wrote:

... a good deal ....

Usually code for "unrealistically cheap"  😊   Didn't you ever wonder why someone with a relatively hot commodity like that to sell, would have to resort to jumping through all of these hoops to sell the vehicle? When a *for sale* sign in the window or a free listing on C/List would have done the trick?  Of course they couldn't have unscrupulously extracted money from anybody using those methods.

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

Glad I found this, i got the same exact thing.  Big fat scam is right!

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

I don't suppose the persons name was Dorothy was it? Almost word for word on a boat. 

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

@balafasm77 

Scammers use fake names. The names change, the vehicles change. The only thing that remains constant is that it is a scam. If an item is not listed on eBay, eBay is not involved in any way.

See here for some info about such scams:

https://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/security/index.html

https://www.fbi.gov/scams-and-safety/common-fraud-schemes/online-vehicle-sale-fraud

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

same here

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

Saw this almost exactly same e-mail for a car- changed the type of car and names but was also from Augusta Maine - weird!

Message 15 of 35
latest reply