cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FB Marketplace to eBay...Is this legit? Seem like a scam

I found a good deal on a used truck that I really like.  It was NOT thru ebay however.  I facebook messaged this "dealership" and it was an auto reply asking for my email to communicate.  Many dealership do this, no harm yet.  I got an email from a lady and this is what it say....

"Hi, thanks for getting back to me. My 1988 Toyota Pickup at $1600 is still available for sale. It is in great shape. it has no damage, no scratches, dents or hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained. It has 85389 miles, 4-Wheel Drive, manual transmission, engine 3.0L V6, gas, and clean title. Everything works great, it was recently professionally detailed interior and exterior. I am selling it because my husband passed away last 3 months ago. I was completely devastated and I am still trying to recover. It reminds me a lot of him, and that doesn't help me at all in the healing process and my daughter can't see me like this anymore, that’s the reason I want to sell it asap. I also got a new job after Michael passed away and moved to my sister in Augusta, ME and the vehicle is here with me, many other things have priority now so it has to go. Before leaving I had prearranged a deal with ebay buyer protection so my presence isn't necessary. If you want to buy it the deal will be done using ebay's services and I can provide free delivery as I have a promotional free shipping card with them and I am planning to redeem it for this transaction if we move forward. The deal includes 5 days to test and inspect the vehicle. No money will be released to me until you decided to keep it or not. If you want to start the process all I need from you is the following info: your full name, full delivery address and phone number. Once I got all the info, I will forward it to ebay and register you as my buyer. They'll email you with all the information you need to complete this deal.
Waiting on your response asap.

Thank you"

Is this a scam?  I have never done this before.  Why wouldn't this already be on eBay?  Thanks so much.
Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Total, 100% scam. This is similar to a lot of scams on Craigslist as well. I emailed about a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder for $1,500 (admittedly an unlikely price but, maybe due to a salvage title for something weird but not indicating serious damage) and got this reply also from a "Nancy R Randle":

Hello!
I am the owner of the 2006 Nissan Pathfinder LE. I had it advertised nationwide through Facebook Marketplace. It is still available for sale. It is in great shape. it has no damage, no scratches, dents or hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained. It has 82,794 and clean title. It has 4.0L V6 engine, gasoline fuel and automatic transmission. Many customizations. Auto on/off headlights, Body-color pwr/heated outside mirrors, Flip-up liftgate window, Fog lamps, Mesh grille w/chrome surround, Pwr sliding glass sunroof, Rear privacy glass, Rear window fixed intermittent wiper, Roof rack w/cross bars, Running boards, Tow receiver hitch. Everything works great, it was recently professionally detailed interior and exterior. I am selling it at this final price of $1,500 because my husband passed away last month and it brings me a lot of bad memories and that’s the reason I want to sell it asap... I also got a new job and moved to Augusta, ME and many other things have priority now so it has to go. I attached you some photos. I want to use eBay Services for both our safety, so if you're interested in purchasing this vehicle just email me your full name, address including the zip code and phone number. I will inform eBay that you are selected as my possible buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure.
I look forward to your answer.
Thank you

I typically email strangers in these scenarios from a dummy email account to protect my identity. I'll string this clown along as much as possible to see if they make a mistake. It's happened before. I've gotten enough info in the past to alert banks about stolen accounts and stuff. So, maybe this time too... 
Message 31 of 35
latest reply

I just got one recently. I always ask them to call and verify who they are..... plus eBay never calls anyone.... unless you are late on your dues or sellers fees etc. 

She (or the Indian scammers) never called back. 

Message 32 of 35
latest reply

Anyone notice, or care, that the date of the 1st post on this thread is February 1, 2020?

Message 33 of 35
latest reply

Sounds funky to me. I doubt if Ebay would let her send a truck on a shipping card??? Never heard of that. I have seen these kind of adds before. They want your contact info. What they do with it from there?? Anybody's guess...

Message 34 of 35
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 35 of 35
latest reply