cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay tracking scam

So I am currently getting scammed on two different ebay purchases. The basic way the scam works is that you buy the item and nothing happens so you open a case, the seller than sends a tracking number that says it was delivered at some point and ebay immediately closes the case. The catch is that the package was not yours, they scrap UPS/USPS sites for any package that arrived in your town on those dates, because neither agency will provide the name or location of that package you can't prove to ebay that the package was meant for you. Actually, they will tell you that it was NOT addressed to you or any address you've ever lived but communicating that to ebay is basically impossible. I learned that the tracking number I got for one of them was for a package originating from a medical supply company to the local optometry office. Either way, they will immediately side with the seller and appealing doesn't even seem possible.

I managed to call and get an appeal but now Ebay wants me to sign something that says I swear I didn't receive it even though tracking "confirms delivery". The whole interaction is extremely sketchy, the document isn't even a formal document it's just some words in the footer of the persons email. The seller now has 6 negative feedbacks from this same listing that I purchased (it would be 7 but mine got removed). Is there a way to contact ebay such that they will resolve this? Everytime I manage to get through to a human on the phones they aren't helpful, I'm sure scammers are raking on this and it's enabled by how hard it is to get help.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Ebay tracking scam

I just heard back from the facebook approach. They took the document I provided and changed the outcome of the case. Thanks for providing that avenue, it was by far the most effective and reasonable way to interact with customer service. No other channel even flinched when I gave them proof that the package wasn't headed to me, but they actually just took it and used it to change the outcome (now if only USPS/UPS would give that information out more readily).

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

UPS would give that information out more readily).

@robbrew40 

Thanks so much for the update, and so happy to hear you had success!!!!   Yes, you can use the tracking service for UPS as well. When that link was first suggested here I used it on some of my outgoing parcels and incoming packages.  It worked for UPS, FedEx, and DHL, not USPS (my available test sample was rather small....LOL) .   Other users have used it for incoming international by different carriers as well.   It was reported that there was occasional info for USPS, but the parcels were originally from international carriers. 

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

Wow this is still happening 3 years later!!! Same thing happened to me, on a ninja air fryer. I didn't have to sign anything thou.

I had my capital one take care it. Opened a claim with the fraud lawyers at capital one. I told cap one I had proof and they took care of the rest. I contacted ebay with proof from USPS the tracking didn't match my address multiple times. They didn't treat me like a customer at all or even care to investigate until the transaction was reversed and the card company was going after em. I've not bought anything from here since 

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Its ridiculous you have to open a fakebook account to resolve an ebay case.  

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

@deltilogical,

Didn't you see the date this topic was first posted?  When it was written the scam was just gaining traction on ebay and other 3rd party listing sites, who also have issues dealing with it.

Because of its age it will soon be locked to replies.  I suggest that you look up more recent fake tracking topics and READ the replies.  Unfortunately, in some cases a person might have to open a social media account to get resolution. However, they can quickly be deleted.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply