cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Tires - Installer unaware that of installation

First time buying tires with eBay, took advantage of the free installation offer, paid for everything, the installation charge is on the order along with the full credit, so it is "paid" for and on the order but of course also zeroed out due to the promotion.

Set this up over a week ago, got numerous emails confirmting the appointment at the installer (Firestone in Hackensack, NJ) as well as confirmation that the tires arrived there a week before the installation date which is today.

Got there this morning to drop off the car, the guy working there said he had nothing in their system about any of this - went in the back to look for the tires, couldn't find them.  I pulled up every email and confirmation and he went back to look again and said he found them in some other back room.  Then he proceeded to take my info to set up the installation and then he quoted me pricing on the installation.  I explained it was included and paid for - showed him the receipts and email confirmations.  He said "it's not in our system" and advised that I pay for the installation and seek a refund later from eBay/SimpleTire.

I called SimpleTire on the spot (a number they provided in one of their emails to me) and the rep said I could proceed and be refunded.  Of course, the price I will pay is slightly higher (about $10) than what they will refund me.  But I'm stuck, so I proceeded, because over $10 it's not worth going back another day.  

But the bottom line is that eBay and SimpleTire do NOT have their act together.  Their installers are completely unaware of them or anything they do.  Sounds like a bit of a scam so that they can get you to buy their installation package but then have an understanding with the installer that the installer will not have the installation in "their system" so they can do this charge and refund game.  This way the installer can charge what they want and SimpleTire just backs out by refunding what you paid them - the result being you pay more to the installer directly.

The good prices with eBay come at this kind of cost - no help when you need it, shady business practice.  I still can't get help - I could only call Simple Tire back to ask them to pursue this with that installer since the installer won't charge me for another 7 hours or so which is when I will go to pick up the car.  However, even after calling simple tire back, they insisted I do the pay-the-installer-and-get-a-refund method.  So they are in on this stupid setup.

And as for eBay?  Zero help, no number to contact, just their stupid online chat assistant which takes me to a page that says "OOPS the information is not available!  Please try later" but of course even "later" the information isn't there - they have nobody to talk to or help, anyway, just stupid bots that don't work.

Think real hard about buying your tires from eBay, it is like an organized scam.  And the only place I'm directed to for any help is this stupid community forum, where I thought perhaps there are some customer service reps, but it seems to just be a place for customers to post about their rotten experiences with eBay.

What a pathetic joke this experience has been.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Well, I have been fortunate enough to find good deals on 4 tires at a time through eBay.  And as you said, you need to know what you are buying.

That said, I have had really good results with brands that few have heard of.  And I look at date codes they are listed with.  Tires that are a year to three old from manufacturing aren't an issue.  Tires that have been sitting for 5+ years on the other hand need examined.  Depending on how they were stored, they may still be fine, or they could be junk.  Have to know what you are looking at and how to check.  Their quality also affects their storage life.

Anyway.

Just like anything else you buy, you should always research your purchase options and know your product.  Blindly buying things on a deal doesn't mean its a good deal for you.

As for @johnny_07656 

Its pretty obvious to us, that no matter what our opinion is, you have made up your own.  So I'm out.  Enjoy your rant thread, get it out of your system.  But stop taking it out on the rest of us.  All that does is make you look bad.

Have fun everyone.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

View Best Answer in original post

Message 17 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

I buy tires on eBay often, but I don't buy them for these kinds of deals.  I just get the tires I want, take them to my local tire place and have them put them on.  *shrug

Been a great deal for me.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

eBay does not sell or install anything.   Your getting into a third party deal where you buy from a seller on eBay and another provides a service.   It's not a good thing for either buyer or seller as you could have filed a not as described case and gotten a full refund.   Best not to get involved is such deals.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

@johnny_07656,

The problem is not eBay's, it is Simple Tire's, all ebay did was provide space on their site for Simple Tire's ad. Simple Tire is who has the network of installers/dealers they send tires to. It is their responsibility to make sure those shops honor the ads/promotions they come up with or to make sure any store that doesn't want to participate is not included in the dealer list.

They are the ones who should have reached out to the shop and explained to the manager or owner how they would get paid for the installation, and it should not cost you a penny more, they should cover what the shop charges you. Make sure you keep your receipt, and save copies of the details of the promotion.

"And as for eBay? Zero help, no number to contact, just their stupid online chat assistant which takes me to a page that says "OOPS the information is not available! Please try later" but of course even "later" the information isn't there - they have nobody to talk to or help, anyway, just stupid bots that don't work".

eBay's customer service would not work in this situation, because it is not ebay's problem as I have explained above.  Their CS dept. isn't set up to deal with a 4th party transaction.   You should be trying to get Simple Tire's customer service to help you, and if they don't help, contacting your state's A.G. office might end up being an option.

" And the only place I'm directed to for any help is this stupid community forum, where I thought perhaps there are some customer service reps, but it seems to just be a place for customers to post about their rotten experiences with eBay".

If you think the community is stupid, then why post here?    You are being provided with help. If you read the topics on these board, you will see that we do provide information that helps people get resolution for problems with eBay's issues. Most of us regulars know more about ebay policies, than their reps who work for a 3rd party call/chat center do.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 26
latest reply

eBay sent that ad out as an email too.  I received it.

Sending America's collectibles where they belong, one auction at a time!

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Having worked in the Automotive business for the past 43 years, I've learned a few things....tires are the only things that connect your vehicle to the road.  These kinds of purchase-mount-balance-new valve stem- 'ebay deals' often involve tires produced in another corner of the world such as China or Indonesia, or worse..  In addition, tires are date coded, and like beer or bread they reach a 'stale date', and are rotated out of 'first line' stock.   gator08041971 buys the tires he likes, and go from there -  knowing what he's buying.

For me, I've always found buying form the local tire shop keeps everyone on both sides of the service counter happy. 

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

@johnny_07656  wrote>

" ... the only place I'm directed to for any help is this stupid community forum, where I thought perhaps there are some customer service reps, but it seems to just be a place for customers to post about their rotten experiences with eBay.

What a pathetic joke this experience has been."

________________---------_________________-----------____________________------------

Why did u bother to post if u think we are so stupid?

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

I didn't say you are stupid.  Defensive much?  Check your sensitivity.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

OK thank you for your opinion that tires from eBay are junk and a scam and that one should only buy tires from an installer directly.  Same can be said of any of the shlock ebay sells yet here you are anyway.  Tells me a lot....

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

@johnny_07656 

You're SO welcome, and thanks for posting.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

The problem is not eBay's, it is Simple Tire's, all ebay did was provide space on their site for Simple Tire's ad. 

Wrong.  It is both of their problem.  eBay is partnered with SimpleTire and presents this as "eBay Tire Installation".  They share in the responsibility for providing support for the service they are selling together.  They both also fall short of providing good or adequate service.

eBay's customer service would not work in this situation, because it is not ebay's problem as I have explained above.  

Wrong again.  They would have to work with this in some capacity as eBay shares in the responsibility; they share in the sale of the service (including the profit) so they share in the responsibility to support that sale.

If you think the community is stupid, then why post here? 

Do you really not understand why?  Did you read my OP?  I have no other option.  This is the only option so I post here with the hope that perhaps someone from eBay can assist me.  And I was wrong.  It's a bunch of people who are not authorized to provide customer support for eBay just throwring their ignorant opinions at me. Yes, it is stupid to have a "community forum" act as customer support for your sales.

You are being provided with help.

That's debatable - I think i'm not being provided with help.  But if it is help, it is absolutely terrible help as it is completely unhelpful.

I don't understand why you and others are so sensitive and hurt by my criticism of eBay's poor support of the sale they made to me.  I don't understand why you are taking it so personally.  That's the problem with having a "community forum" as a customer service outlet - it doesn't work.  It's just random people, nobody knows who anyone is, people who are not authorized to speak and not empowered to help, simply offering their opinions on whatever they want to talk about, not even adressing a customer's actual problem.'

If this were real customer support I would not be asked "well why are you asking here then, HUH?? HUH??? HUH???"  like you people are doing.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Wrong.  eBay partners to sell things.  They share in the profits and therefore they share in the responsibility for the sales. 

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Thanks for your reply that provide me with zero help whatsoever.  Here is a pat on the back for you for how smart you think you are:  [pat]

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

@johnny_07656 wrote:

OK thank you for your opinion that tires from eBay are junk and a scam and that one should only buy tires from an installer directly.  Same can be said of any of the shlock ebay sells yet here you are anyway.  Tells me a lot....

@johnny_07656 

You’re surely twisting the meaning of most replies to validate your preconceived ideas about eBay.

[* sigh *]  How difficult it must be to be ‘you’ … having to deal with so much perceived stupidity (and wrongness) from so many sources.  I wonder how you manage to get through a day.   😐

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

I haven't twisted anything.  Feel free to give me an example (although I won't hold my breath).  Easy to sling accusations but without any backup it's just hot air.

Another over-sensitive, defensive person for who knows what reason.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply