cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a seller speculatively block you

I had bid on very good listings by a seller. Two i retracted from days before the listing ended.

Well if I won i would have paid

The seller went on to block me from their listing n bid or buy because apparently I was going to change my mind if I bid ,n not pay on time n without ever doing business with me ever Carolyn thinks I will pull out nnot pay if I win bids .

I have been buying a lot on Ebay n kind of bought a lot for Christmas for a big family.  Have bought as high as 50 pounds. So,I was awestruck by such a weird experience or spectacular speculation by a seller who thinks I will risk her shop if I bid on say total 8 polishes..all at base prices she listed.

Is this a normal experience on Ebay.  Struck first time,feel insulted

Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

Re: Can a seller speculatively block you

I think that the blocked bidder lists of every seller on this thread has grown by at least one at this point. 

"Free" shipping is like "free" kittens. Ain't no such thing.
eBay buyer and seller since January, 1998 - Former member of the "Answer Center Irregulars"....In memory of flowerpot.4
Message 46 of 63
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

" sellers are NOT obligated to cancel a sale and for someone to ding the seller and the seller's feedback for YOUR change of mind is wrong! "

But it happens all the time, which is why it's prudent for a seller to cancel a transaction when requested.

I'm not disagreeing with you! Although a smart seller will agree (and block the buyer), the seller isn't required to do so!

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 47 of 63
latest reply

@sharmis66 wrote:

Hi all,

Thankyou for replying. 

To sellers who have explained to me the policy-thankyou .

I understand I can't retract a bid even when outbid as that is an issue.  So will, be only bidding if sell is reasonable n if outbid will not be bothered.  Now,some who are bothered about leaving 5 negative feedbacks in whole year. If sellers don't send an item and there's no response from them,negative can be left as per Ebay rep .thankyou 

If you have truly learned lessons here, scrap your account and create a new one, because you will only get more problems with your existing account.

Don't place bids and then retract.

And don't leave bad feedback unless it's 100% the sellers fault, and not a issue caused by yourself.

Message 48 of 63
latest reply

eBay is soon to be, BIN only and immediate payment required, this will get rid of all the deadbeats who just play on eBay

Message 49 of 63
latest reply

Oh yes, you are so correct, I did it...

We all know who got blocked..

Message 50 of 63
latest reply

@selsa84 wrote:

86 retractions and you have private feedback. thats a sign

It wasn't private 30 minutes ago! 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 51 of 63
latest reply

Message 52 of 63
latest reply

.............general reply...........

I have a certain disdain for bid cancelers.If a bidder is not aware of hw a policy works then that can have an akward effect on their cancellation rate.

I am an auction seller and have sold millions of dollars of watches at 1 dollar no reserve with plenty of nice ones mixed in.Bid cancelers cast a bad light on an auction,regular bidders do not like surprises from bid cancelers,regular bidders detest any auctions that do not run the full 7 days.

when an auction is not payed for it need to be relisted again for 1 dollar.........80% of the time its going to sell for less.........its as simple as that.

bid retractors jinx it for many regular bidders and they no longer want part of that auction.

ending an auction prematurely will immediately cause your regulars to lose faith in the system/seller

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 53 of 63
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@selsa84 wrote:

86 retractions and you have private feedback. thats a sign

It wasn't private 30 minutes ago! 

Nope.  But it is now.  For someone who earlier today didn't even know how an auction works, s/he was sure quick to learn how to hide negging and retracting.  😄

Message 54 of 63
latest reply

Isnt there a site that will still tell what feedback an eBay user gave even if private.

Message 55 of 63
latest reply

Yep!

Frankly, I would block you because you have your feedback set to private but I don't really need a reason.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 56 of 63
latest reply

How do you know this? Inside track? 

Message 57 of 63
latest reply

You can send me low ball offers. I ignore. It doesnt even phase me and I dont block. In fact secretly I like them because.....  (cant tell or then my secrets out)

Message 58 of 63
latest reply

Retracting so many bids can indicate a problem buyer to a seller. 

Also, making your feedback private doesn't help your cause.  

Message 59 of 63
latest reply

The OP has made their feedback private so no one can see how many retractions they have now.

GloryBells  • 
eBay Mentor Since 2008

Message 60 of 63
latest reply