cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I cancel a return and then ask ebay to step in? Or ask ebay to step in with a return open?

Bought a sports card last week. The card was initially listed at $19.99. The picture made it seem like it a dark blue prizm so I added it to my watch list. A few days later I received a 50% off offer. So I accepted at $9.99. The picture made it seem like the card was a blue variation but when I received it this Monday it ended up being a LIGHT blue variation. Huge difference. The blue is a SP but the LIGHT blue is common. There is a light blue listed at $1.99 right now on here. Not only did the seller trick me with image but he overcharged me as well.

I was very upset and messaged the seller immediately. He replied and said he would give a full refund upon eBay guidelines.  Mentioned he had bad lighting when he took photo of card. I did not see a straight up refund option. Only a return option. So I jumped the gun and sent a refund request. I assumed he would just refund me and we would resolve without return. But he didn't. He accepted the return request. And paid for shipping label. I found it odd that he would do this for a $1.99 card. I don't want to waste more time and money on this $1.99 card. I don't want to risk this being lost on the way back. Why wouldn't the seller just refund me straight up? 

The seller says, they cannot be refunded for the return shipping label. Is this true? 

I really regret sending the return request. I just didn't see any other option available.

Can I cancel the return and ask ebay to step in? Or maybe the ask ebay to step in option appears in a few days and I should leave the return request open? I have not mailed the card back yet.

Hoping I have more options. I received the card on Monday two days ago.

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: Can I cancel a return and then ask ebay to step in? Or ask ebay to step in with a return open?

So I can get a refund or partial refund. That option was not available to me right away. I regret sending the return request right away. I admit that.

The card I received is not what I paid for and it is so cheap/worthless that I do not want to send back because I want to avoid having it lost/wasting time/me having to waste more money than I already have when it was the seller who tried to scam me and lied about what the card was.

The card that I received in the mail is worth less than or equal to $1.99. I paid $9.99 for it thinking it was the rarer blue variation. It wasn't.

All this back and forth for a $1.99 card that can possibly get lost shipping it back makes no sense to me. Plus wasting more money to ship it back.

I shouldn't have sent the request so fast. Better for ebay to step in and me get a refund or partial refund.

Message 16 of 52
latest reply

Re: Can I cancel a return and then ask ebay to step in? Or ask ebay to step in with a return open?

@worldseriesattitude91 wrote:

Why are you ignoring the fact that the seller had a photo and described the card as something more rare and different color to trick me into buying it as well as overcharging me for it?

Seems like you didn't read all the details. I guess you don't understand because you are not in the sports card hobby world.

I admitted in my original post that I regret sending the return request. But there was no other option available.

So I asked if I can cancel and then have ebay step in to possibly give a refund or partial refund.

No, that's not how Ebay works.

If you want a refund, use the shipping label and return the card.

Have a great day
Message 17 of 52
latest reply

For the card to be worthless, you're sure trying hard to get your money back and keep the worthless card.

Have a great day
Message 18 of 52
latest reply

It's not that we don't understand the issue and why you feel the seller done you wrong. But you don't seem to understand that wishing for something to happen doesn't mean it can. Ebay's Money Back Guarantee policy is carved in stone. They will only enforce a return for refund. Sellers are given absolute discretion to accept or decline a partial refund request. This seller refused. It doesn't matter if you can cancel the return request for a do-over (which, btw, you can't). The outcome would be no different. 

Message 19 of 52
latest reply

Why would eBay step in and get you a refund without your being required to return the card?

Am sure you know this, but will reiterate:  You apparently received an item that was not as described.

You opened an item not as described case, right? And you were sent a prepaid return label by the seller?

Then why not jut use the return label and return the card? What money would you be wasting by returning the card? 

Why is this particular card more likely to "get lost in shipping" than any other card?

It doesn't really matter if it's now a $1.99 card in your estimation rather than a $9.99 card.  If/when you use the label to return it, you will be refunded what you paid.  

Message 20 of 52
latest reply

That's what I wanted to know. I was hoping I had the ebay to step in option. 

I just checked my messages. The seller was going to refund me without wanting the card back. 

But he said he didn't know how to just refund me straight up. So I sent the return request which was so dumb. I had to wait for the ebay to step in option. Would have received partial refund probably.

Message 21 of 52
latest reply

I do not feel comfortable sending back the cheap worthless card honestly. It is less than actual shipping. Plus it can get lost. Or seller can pretend it is lost. Then I get nothing. 

I understand. Nobody on here gets the sports card hobby world and how it works. Everyone is looking at this the wrong way.

Isn't it better for me to receive a partial refund? Better for both sides. 

I just made the big mistake of sending a return request. 

I got scammed from the sellers description and photo. A completely different variation of the card showed up in the mail. 

Message 22 of 52
latest reply

Yea I screwed myself over with sending that return request. 

He didn't really decline a partial refund he said he didn't know how to give one which was **bleep**

I forgot how the ask ebay to step in option works. It's been a few years since I dealt with a situation like this on ebay. 

Message 23 of 52
latest reply

Why don't you understand that the seller is the scammer in this situation putting up a bad photo on purpose and lying in his description? 

Also the card is $1.99 shipping is $3.50/$4

Isn't it better to give a partial refund instead of sending back and forth. With the card being at risk of being lost. Then what?

I'm not the scammer here. The seller lied about what the card was.

Would have been easier for partial refund $9.99 (what I paid) - $1.99 (worth) = $8

Message 24 of 52
latest reply

I do not feel comfortable sending back the cheap worthless card honestly. It is less than actual shipping. Plus it can get lost. Or seller can pretend it is lost. Then I get nothing

@worldseriesattitude91 

Totally untrue.  You simply are unfamiliar with eBay policies.  Once you return an item using the shipping label provided by either eBay OR the seller ... you will be refunded regardless of whether the item reaches the seller.  You will be refunded if the seller refuses delivery.  You WILL be refunded no matter what happens to the item!

Most of us have had an experience similar to yours.  I've had to return a counterfeit item (software) that wrecked my computer and cost me $150+ to have fixed by a technician.  I hated doing it ... but eBay AND PayPal required I return it ... back then, it was at MY expense ... to get a refund.  I returned it.

Message 25 of 52
latest reply

RETURN THE CARD.

Be refunded in full.

eBay does not step in unless the seller, or buyer fails to comply with eBay policies.

If you do not send the card back eBay will step in to close the case.

All replying understand.

Message 26 of 52
latest reply

I do not feel comfortable sending back the cheap worthless card honestly. It is less than actual shipping. Plus it can get lost. Or seller can pretend it is lost. Then I get nothing. 

I understand. Nobody on here gets the sports card hobby world and how it works. Everyone is looking at this the wrong way.

Isn't it better for me to receive a partial refund? Better for both sides. 

I just made the big mistake of sending a return request. 

I got scammed from the sellers description and photo. A completely different variation of the card showed up in the mail. 

As long as you use the shipping label they provided, if it gets lost, you're covered and will get your refund.

If you bought the shipping label and it got lost, then you would be out of luck.

It doesn't matter if it's a sports card or baby bottle, returns work the same way.

Have a great day
Message 27 of 52
latest reply

Anything with a foil surface, cards, comics etc, aren't ever going to photograph or even scan accurately, even with high quality imaging equipment and they're always going to show up darker. It's not the seller's fault but he's blaming himself so you don't go full karen over it. Just keep the card,  how much of a big deal is $10? lol

Message 28 of 52
latest reply

UGH............................... 

Message 29 of 52
latest reply

Ok, let me simplify this for you.

1. The seller took a photo of card to make it look like it was a different variation. Made it seem BLUE but when card arrived it was LIGHT BLUE. LIGHT BLUE IS WAAAY CHEAPER. With these football cards they make a ton of the LIGHT BLUE variations. So when you say "apparently similar item is listed for $1.99" you are WRONG. It is literally the SAME card. It is worth $1.99 might even be worth less. That's how this hobby works.

2. The seller listed it at $20 initially. Not mentioning that it is the LIGHT BLUE version in the description. But in the photo it looks just like the BLUE (very rare variation). I received a 50% off offer after I put this card on my watch list. Bought it of course thinking it was what it looked like in the photo/description for $9.99. That's almost 10x of it's value

How am I the scammer? This person lied in their description and took a photo to make it seem like it was a different card.

I admitted in my initial post that I jumped the gun in sending a return request but we were talking about solving the issue. I just didn't see a refund option.

The best solution would've been to get a partial refund. 

So I asked if I canceled the return can I ask ebay to get involved to try and get a partial refund. Not trying to scam. The seller tried to scam me. I don't understand how you can't see the seller is the scammer here.

@worldseriesattitude91 

I believe I did understand the issue ... as well as understand that you are jumping to conclusions and are unfamiliar with eBay policies.

1. You didn't see the card that is selling for $1.99 ... so you don't know its true condition.   That's why I said 'apparently similar'.   [You thought you knew what you were buying for $9.99 ... but that turned out to be incorrect.]
  2. You don't know whether your seller was scamming, ignorant of prices, or simply a bad photographer.  You only think you know what is in the seller's mind.  [You've offered no evidence of being clairvoyant.]  

Anyone insisting on getting a full refund ... while refusing to return the item when given a free label ... is attempting to scam IMHO.  You have nothing to lose by returning the card ... and have a full refund to gain.  [You are guaranteed a full refund whether the item is lost in transit, refused delivery by the seller, or any other horrible outcome you can imagine.  You are being stubborn ... if not attempting to scam.]

You were sent a return shipping label ... so receiving a partial refund was no longer possible.  [That would have had to be discussed with the seller before seller sent you the label.]

eBay doesn't allow buyers to even request partial refunds any more ... so talking to an eBay agent would be pointless.  Partial refunds are between the buyer and seller ... NOT eBay.

Buyers cannot 'cancel' transactions.  Only sellers can.  [Buyers need to request cancellation from the seller.  eBay will NOT cancel for a buyer.]

Anyway, you can continue to argue your point of view ... or you can return the item for a full refund.  You're not doing yourself any favors by insisting on your rightness and my wrongness.  [I'm not offended; just tired of making the same points over and over again ... as are the others members I'm sure.]

Message 30 of 52
latest reply