cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay allows sellers to cancel days after payment, and not refund!

Seller has cancelled days after payment, yet never refunded my money.   I have called eBay and they promised to take care of it, but they have not!

How is this okay?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@eldontyrell wrote:

Seller has cancelled days after payment, yet never refunded my money.   I have called eBay and they promised to take care of it, but they have not!

How is this okay?

If transaction was canceled you will be or have been refunded; it goes back to the original source.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

That has not happened...which is why I'm complaining in this forum.

If you are saying that I WILL be refunded...as if some time in the future, again, how is that okay?

The transaction should not be cancelled by the seller without the refund being immediate and complete.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@eldontyrell wrote:

That has not happened...which is why I'm complaining in this forum.

If you are saying that I WILL be refunded...as if some time in the future, again, how is that okay?

The transaction should not be cancelled by the seller without the refund being immediate and complete.

When a seller cancels refunding is part of the process. Something has to go wrong in the system for it to not happen. A seller cant choose to cancel without refunding 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Refunding the buyer is an automatic part of the cancellation process. If the seller did an official cancellation it's not something over which he would have any control.

Did you get an official cancellation notice from eBay or did you just get a message from the seller?

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

If the transaction has been canceled, you were refunded automatically. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@eldontyrell 

Even if you paid via Paypal, if the payment was funded with a credit card, the refund will show on the c.c. account. It can take several days for it to show on your account.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Okay, everyone, I did not just fall off the turnip truck.    I've been buying and selling on ebay for about 20 years.

This seller cancelled three days after payment and for FIVE days, the order has said "cancellation pending", with NO REFUND ANYWHERE.

I have spoken with ebay and they said that they would email the seller and request that she refund the money, but that if she didn't, I would have to call eBay again.  She hasn't, so I will have to continue to spend my time trying to get my money back.   

There is no automation, nor any selection that allows me to escalate this.

Believe me, I am shocked and appalled that this could happen.   But it has.

Again, the transaction should not be cancelled by the seller without the refund being immediate and complete.  A buyer should NEVER have to chase down money from a reprehensible seller, or wait weeks for the "Item not received" case to be an option, because no other was available.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@eldontyrell,

"Okay, everyone, I did not just fall off the turnip truck. I've been buying and selling on ebay for about 20 years.  This seller cancelled three days after payment and for FIVE days, the order has said "cancellation pending", with NO REFUND ANYWHERE".

According to your profile you have not sold anything in over a year.  If it has been more than 2 years since you last sold anything you may not know about ebay's Managed Payments system, which is a big change from when PayPal was the only way to make electronic payments.

Did you check the seller's feedback profile before buying from them? They may have a fair number of feedback and a 100% rating but it could all be for buying not selling at all before or in over a year.  That's one reason why you need to check the profile of any seller before buying from them.

If the seller is a new or returning one, chances are they are not aware of the 21 day hold placed on their first few payments by ebay.  That could be the reason for the cancellation since on their account the payment status is marked as Pending.  It could also be why a refund is taking so long.  The seller may not know they can refund since they do not think they've been paid.

In terms of refunds with ebay's Managed Payment system, funds are returned to their base source.  If you used a card or bank account with PayPal the funds are sent to the debit card's bank account, sometimes to the card's balance. Funds no longer go back to a PayPal balance.  A credit card refund may not show on a statement for up to 30 days, but you can call the card provider to see if a refund is being processed.  Actual Transfers themselves, can take 3-5 days to be processed. They are no longer instantly processed as they were when PayPal was the only electronic payment option.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@eldontyrell wrote:

Okay, everyone, I did not just fall off the turnip truck.    I've been buying and selling on ebay for about 20 years.

This seller cancelled three days after payment and for FIVE days, the order has said "cancellation pending", with NO REFUND ANYWHERE.

I have spoken with ebay and they said that they would email the seller and request that she refund the money, but that if she didn't, I would have to call eBay again.  She hasn't, so I will have to continue to spend my time trying to get my money back.   

There is no automation, nor any selection that allows me to escalate this.

Believe me, I am shocked and appalled that this could happen.   But it has.

Again, the transaction should not be cancelled by the seller without the refund being immediate and complete.  A buyer should NEVER have to chase down money from a reprehensible seller, or wait weeks for the "Item not received" case to be an option, because no other was available.

If it says cancellation pending it may be waiting for you to agree and then your refund will be released.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

If you went thru PayPal you can file a report there.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

This thread is two years old. Any ship has sailed.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply