cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought a counterfeit item and its in the post office at this moment.

Bought a guitar from a UK seller. And found out it is not an authentic item. After a good long search on the internet, and found legit comparison for reference. The guitar that I m getting have many variants from the original. For example, the print on the guitar is way off , the length of the head stock is off, the guaranteed label is wrong, ( the guitar plant has closed down 14 years before that guitar has ever been released), the serial number is wrong etc... I should have taken the responsibility of not checking out the guitar thoroughly before I pulled the trigger.. But whats been done its done. So the item is in the office.. Should i still pick it up anyway first before I return it ? Or leave it in the post office and let the post office to return it ? Been talking with the seller, he insisted to issue refund or what so ever, and claimed the guitar is legit. I m wondering who is out there have been in the similar situation and how have u dealt with it ? Please share ur experience and leave ur comments or advice here. Greatly appreciated for ur help. Cheers. 

Message 1 of 80
latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

Re: Bought a counterfeit item and its in the post office at this moment.

@aus8070 wrote:

Yes i did. And taking a lot of photos. Having it in hand . i m 100% it is not an authentic item. 

So very sorry to hear that you are sure.  Just see what Ebay says and follow their instructions and you will be fine.

But how disappointing.

Message 46 of 80
latest reply

@phono_0490xxxxxx wrote:

@aus8070 wrote:

Yes i did. And taking a lot of photos. Having it in hand . i m 100% it is not an authentic item. 

OK, now you have options to seek remedy, @aus8070

Hows the 'action'... would you want to be seen in public using it?

Would you want someone else conned into buying it on ebay?

@phono_0490xxxxxx

There is a very simple way you can stop someone else being conned into buying it on Ebay.  Tell the OP you will paypal him the money for the guitar, and then actually do so.  Then he will do as you say and destroy it.  Why aren't you doing this?  You have already made your opinion known, and badgering OP to do something that he has been advised not to do as a return may be required for him to get his money back is JUST WRONG!

Message 47 of 80
latest reply

OP, as an Ebay user, you agreed to the terms and to follow Ebay policies as outlined in the user's agreement.

It's very easy for someone with no skin in the game to rant about the ethics of returning it, they wouldn't be out any money by encouraging that.  BUT if you destroy it, and a return IS required, then YOU lose all your money from that purchase.

Present your evidence and see what Ebay has to say; if they say return, you return.  If not, then do as you see fit.  That is the best way to protect YOUR money.  And that is what the majority of posters on this thread have been trying to do~act in YOUR best interests~not egg someone on into losing their money because of their pseudo concern about counterfeits.

Message 48 of 80
latest reply

Denying the antecedent, sometimes also called inverse error or fallacy of the inverse, is a formal fallacy of inferring the inverse from the original statement.

Message 49 of 80
latest reply

@phono_0490xxxxxx wrote:

Denying the antecedent, sometimes also called inverse error or fallacy of the inverse, is a formal fallacy of inferring the inverse from the original statement.

Quite an impressive statement.  If I understand you correctly, you're saying that just because "A" is true and "B" is true doesn't necessarily mean "C" is true.  For example:

A= Bob has blue eyes.  B= Bob is a boy.  C= All boys have blue eyes, however is a not necessarily true.  A+B doesn't always equal C.

Am I close to what you're saying, ph0490xxxxxx?

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 50 of 80
latest reply

Great call, OP, I see you chose Trinton's post as your solution.

That is the right thing to do, and I'm sure those of us that are actually trying to HELP you all breathed a sigh of relief when we saw that!

Sorry you had a negative experience in getting a counterfeit, but so glad you aren't going to make it worse by destroying prematurely and jeopardizing your refund!

As I said, just follow Ebay's instructions and all will be well.  

Message 51 of 80
latest reply

OP~~I'm happy you chose Trintons response as the solution.  

I have a housemate who collects guitars and he has MANY that were "questionable" when he got them and they turned out to be actual collectibles worth $$.  I don't know if you have a book on the collectible guitars but you may want to invest in one if you don't already have one.  You mayn learn a lot from the books.

Whatever you do, DO NOT destroy it~~if you feel it may be a fake go through the proper channels to get a refund.  You will need to have the guitar in hand to do that or you WILL be totally out of luck.

Message 52 of 80
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:

OP~~I'm happy you chose Trintons response as the solution.  

I have a housemate who collects guitars and he has MANY that were "questionable" when he got them and they turned out to be actual collectibles worth $$.  I don't know if you have a book on the collectible guitars but you may want to invest in one if you don't already have one.  You mayn learn a lot from the books.

Whatever you do, DO NOT destroy it~~if you feel it may be a fake go through the proper channels to get a refund.  You will need to have the guitar in hand to do that or you WILL be totally out of luck.

GREAT post, Kat!  OP could also check to see if his library has a book like that.

It's just sad when someone posts blatantly wrong info that can harm an OP.

Message 53 of 80
latest reply

@aus8070 wrote:

100%, lesson learnt. 

I was only thinking a budget guitar wouldn't be fake.. And then.. Obviously.. It isn't the case. And it never will be. 

OP~~You call this a "budget guitar" which I take to mean was a low end guitar?  What was the name brand of the guitar?  If this was a low end "budget guitar" as you call it, maybe there are no laws against "replicas" (or as you call it "fake") of it being made?  Maybe you have no case for returning it other than buyer remorse?

Message 54 of 80
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:

@aus8070 wrote:

100%, lesson learnt. 

I was only thinking a budget guitar wouldn't be fake.. And then.. Obviously.. It isn't the case. And it never will be. 

OP~~You call this a "budget guitar" which I take to mean was a low end guitar?  What was the name brand of the guitar?  If this was a low end "budget guitar" as you call it, maybe there are no laws against "replicas" (or as you call it "fake") of it being made?  Maybe you have no case for returning it other than buyer remorse?

a replica would still be snad if advertised as the real thing. regardless if it is an authorized reproduction or an outright attempt to create fakes, o.p. wanted the real thing. it is possable seller has a reproduction and beleives it is the real thing. i have seen items faked with retail values of only ten bucks so if there is a market for budget guitars, it is worth faking! is there a huge cost difference between what you thought you bought and other brands/models? valued for rarity, not quality?

Message 55 of 80
latest reply

Since ebay doesn't accept anything as far as proof from the seller that something IS as described, and 99% of the time takes the buyers word on it regardless, how can ebay prove that the "proof of 'disposal'" is real?

We all know where the counterfeits went when they were shipped to ebay to 'dispose' of. And we all know what happened to them.

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Since ebay doesn't accept anything as far as proof from the seller that something IS as described, and 99% of the time takes the buyers word on it regardless, how can ebay prove that the "proof of 'disposal'" is real?

We all know where the counterfeits went when they were shipped to ebay to 'dispose' of. And we all know what happened to them.

They can’t and this is why they and PayPal kind of abandoned their policy of telling buyers to destroy the alleged counterfeit items IMHO. IIRC that policy started around 2010-ish? That may be when I became aware of it however. I do recall that they were heavily enforcing this practice, back then I was part of a forum for people who collected designer denim and this policy was widely discussed because many of them had been told to destroy the item and upload pictures to prove it. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 57 of 80
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

They can’t and this is why they and PayPal kind of abandoned their policy of telling buyers to destroy the alleged counterfeit items IMHO. IIRC that policy started around 2010-ish? That may be when I became aware of it however. I do recall that they were heavily enforcing this practice, back then I was part of a forum for people who collected designer denim and this policy was widely discussed because many of them had been told to destroy the item and upload pictures to prove it. 

Probably around that timeframe, since before that you shipped them to a designated warehouse in Texas(I think) to be destroyed, only later they all just happened to come up for sale on here ......................

If I sold something to a buyer in Hong Kong and they claimed my item was a counterfeit I would be worried as to what I would get returned to me.  China is full of any kind of counterfeit item you may want.

Message 59 of 80
latest reply

I know how reputation that mainland China is like... I totally understand where ur coming from. 

Yet.. Its more bout the morale of individual. The counterfeit items are mostly being produced in mainland China doesn't mean that I have one and it doesn't mean a Chinese is a fraud.. However, in this particular case.. An UK seller s possessing counterfeit item which I did not expect it.. And hence I m here opening up a case for that.. 

Message 60 of 80
latest reply