cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought a counterfeit item and its in the post office at this moment.

Bought a guitar from a UK seller. And found out it is not an authentic item. After a good long search on the internet, and found legit comparison for reference. The guitar that I m getting have many variants from the original. For example, the print on the guitar is way off , the length of the head stock is off, the guaranteed label is wrong, ( the guitar plant has closed down 14 years before that guitar has ever been released), the serial number is wrong etc... I should have taken the responsibility of not checking out the guitar thoroughly before I pulled the trigger.. But whats been done its done. So the item is in the office.. Should i still pick it up anyway first before I return it ? Or leave it in the post office and let the post office to return it ? Been talking with the seller, he insisted to issue refund or what so ever, and claimed the guitar is legit. I m wondering who is out there have been in the similar situation and how have u dealt with it ? Please share ur experience and leave ur comments or advice here. Greatly appreciated for ur help. Cheers. 

Message 1 of 80
latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

Re: Bought a counterfeit item and its in the post office at this moment.

Hi @aus8070, to be eligible for the eBay Money Back Guarantee, you will need to retrieve the item. Though I understand you have been researching your purchase and comparing details online to the listing, we are not able to investigate without the guitar being in your possession. Once you have your purchase, if you remain concerned you can open a Return Request and we will work with you from there. Depending on the details of the transaction, we may request additional information and may not require a return based on what is provided.

Again, the words MAY NOT do not indicate WILL NOT, thus a return MAY BE required.

With all due respect, Ebay will determine how they want this handled; not you.  Not you.

Message 31 of 80
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

it’s NOT a criminal offense for someone in the US to return counterfeit goods. But nice try 🙂

U.S. Federal criminal offence.
https://www.justice.gov/usam/criminal-resource-manual-940-18-usc-section-1341-elements-mail-fraud

and probably a similar UK statute in force.

Message 32 of 80
latest reply

This  ^ ^ , not sure why I bother responding to 'baiting' like that.

Post 4 1,2,3. // Remedy process steps. Challenge of arbitrary return ideology of post 2.

Post 6 // What is current policy question. What ramifications follow question.  

Post 8 // Seek ebay clarification of current policy to confirm the 'not all are' return scenario.

Post 20 1, 2, 3. // Questions why; obtuse, buyer protection, denial, social foundation - ethics.

Post 20 4. // Remedy process steps, as confirmed. Recommended stance to take.

Post 22 // Lets look and see.

Post 30 // Cite ebay forum thread - confirms post 4 - NOT all require return.

Post 33 // Correct false assertion of post 23.

Nope... I can't see one incidence where I state the buyer determines 'fate' of the fake, or act without instruction from ebay [or better, PayPal] or... advise acting in a manner contra to ebay or paypal policy/user agreement as allowed under Law.  < you understand hierarchy there?

I'm not confused, as you infer and attempt ad hominem.

I know the foundation principals of 'rules', 'policy' and Act's [statutes] and their provisions.... and can read and understand and exercise my rights afforded by these 'laws'.

Believe this, it comes from >15 years of direct experience in higher jurisdictions than this.

Oh yeah, but first you need the skills to think critically and decode rhetoric, AND understand why those 'rules & Laws' are needed.   It follows:

I don't fancy a 'dog eat dog' race to the bottom, ruled by bullies, liars and thieves chaotic society.

Nor do I condone empowering peddlers of fakes by re-stocking via arbitrary returns process. 

THATS the issue here.

Message 34 of 80
latest reply

Much different case. A China SNAD. Not counterfeit.

But geeeez... perhaps offer OP this . . . . . . . . . . . .  and  , , , , , , , , , , , and  ? ? ? ? ?  and - - - - - - and

to use when needed.

Message 35 of 80
latest reply

So did you pick it up or what?

Message 36 of 80
latest reply

Or if you choose to not do due diligence before you buy, just accept what you have bought.  

Message 37 of 80
latest reply

Good question.

Message 38 of 80
latest reply

@phono_0490xxxxxx wrote:

Post 4 1,2,3. // Remedy process steps. Challenge of arbitrary return ideology of post 2.

Post 8 // Seek ebay clarification of current policy to confirm the 'not all are' return scenario.

Post 20 1, 2, 3. // Questions why; obtuse, buyer protection, denial, social foundation - ethics.

Nope... I can't see one incidence where I state the buyer determines 'fate' of the fake, or act without instruction from ebay [or better, PayPal] or... advise acting in a manner contra to ebay or paypal policy/user agreement as allowed under Law.  < you understand hierarchy there?

I know the foundation principals of 'rules', 'policy' and Act's [statutes] and their provisions.... and can read and understand and exercise my rights afforded by these 'laws'.

Believe this, it comes from >15 years of direct experience in higher jurisdictions than this.

Oh yeah, but first you need the skills to think critically and decode rhetoric, AND understand why those 'rules & Laws' are needed.   It follows:

I don't fancy a 'dog eat dog' race to the bottom, ruled by bullies, liars and thieves chaotic society.

Nor do I condone empowering peddlers of fakes by re-stocking via arbitrary returns process. 

THATS the issue here.

So you will back up your fervor and your convictions by refunding the buyer yourself since you feel so strongly he should destroy the guitar and not return it if a return is required?  That is very kind and I applaud your idealism.  It's admirable that you feel so strongly.

Message 39 of 80
latest reply

100%, lesson learnt. 

I was only thinking a budget guitar wouldn't be fake.. And then.. Obviously.. It isn't the case. And it never will be. 

Message 40 of 80
latest reply

Yes i did. And taking a lot of photos. Having it in hand . i m 100% it is not an authentic item. 

Message 41 of 80
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@phono_0490xxxxxx wrote:

THATS the issue here.

So you will back up your fervor and your convictions by refunding the buyer yourself since you feel so strongly he should destroy the guitar and not return it if a return is required?  That is very kind and I applaud your idealism.  It's admirable that you feel so strongly.

@phono_0490xxxxxx  

Message 42 of 80
latest reply

@aus8070 wrote:

100%, lesson learnt. 

I was only thinking a budget guitar wouldn't be fake.. And then.. Obviously.. It isn't the case. And it never will be. 

That's great, OP.  Don't feel like you are alone, we see this all the time on the Board, buyer does due diligence after buying, and then runs into problems.

It just pains those who are regulars here to see someone in this situation, who has to deal with the hassles.  It will work out if you follow Ebay's instructions.

But in this you are wise; you learned from your mistake.  You know what they say, if we don't learn from our mistakes, we are doomed to repeat them.

But you won't and that is great!

Message 43 of 80
latest reply

We're not talking of a fake bag or clothing  but a guitar here.

OP,  do what you have to do as as a buyer based on Ebay guidelines.  

BUT,  please do not destroy that guitar.

Message 44 of 80
latest reply

@aus8070 wrote:

Yes i did. And taking a lot of photos. Having it in hand . i m 100% it is not an authentic item. 

OK, now you have options to seek remedy, @aus8070

Hows the 'action'... would you want to be seen in public using it?

Would you want someone else conned into buying it on ebay?

Message 45 of 80
latest reply