cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought On Ebay But Delivered By Amazon

I bought an item on Ebay but it was delivered by Amazon. The item was $4 less on Amazon but that does not include sales tax, Ebay and Paypal fees. I paid with Paypal. I'm worried this is some kind of scam where the seller is using someone else's stolen credit card to pay Amazon. Should I be worried? I called Amazon and Ebay, but they would not give me any information and did not understand what I was inquiring about.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Bought On Ebay But Delivered By Amazon

It's called dropshipping, and eBay is OK with it.

I have purchased many items that turn out to be dropshiped, mostly from Amazon, but sometimes Wal Mart. I am very pleased with this service as items tend to be packaged much better, arrive sooner, and are less expensive, as I don't have to pay Amazon's very high shipping cost.

So, don't worry, you are not getting scammed, you are getting a great deal.

Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

@firstwave ,

"I bought an item on Ebay but it was delivered by Amazon"

Some ebay sellers have a presence on Amazon others drop ship from there.  It is allowed, and the only rule maybe being broken is the one concerning Amazon's Prime membership policy.  It forbids Prime members from using their prime membership discount to make a profit on another site.

"The item was $4 less on Amazon but that does not include sales tax, Ebay and Paypal fees".

Currently ebay only collects sales taxes from members located in Wa., Mn., & Ia..  There are no eBay or PayPal fees charged to buyers.

"I'm worried this is some kind of scam where the seller is using someone else's stolen credit card to pay Amazon".

While the purchase by the seller from Amazon could have been made with with stolen credit card, it cannot come back on you.  You have proof of how you paid from ebay and PayPal.  When you received the item it probably came with a gift receipt. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

If you buy that often get Amazon prime it would be worth the $99.00  or get it for free by getting the Metro PCS  unlimited data plan thats what I did.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@firstwave wrote:

Should I be worried? 

No.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

I think the OPs point was that the difference in price is not enough to cover the eBay and PayPal fees and leave a profit.

the others have already explained that the seller could be selling on Amazon or may have run out of something and fulfilled for you. This could be a triangulation scheme using a stolen credit card.

However there is a relatively new kind of “dropshipping” that eBay doesn’t want. Sellers use a scraping software to find differences in price between eBay and Amazon. Since it’s all automated they don’t care if they only make a few cents. However this kind of sale, called retail arbitrage is much more problematic than true dropshipping where the seller has a contract with the supplier. Since there is no contract the item is more likely to go out of stock and the sale cancelled.

Discussions on the boards are showing that ebay does it like these sales and they are changing the rules to limit them.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

"If you buy that often get Amazon prime it would be worth the $99.00 or get it for free by getting the Metro PCS unlimited data plan thats what I did."

amazon prime went up 20% last summer (June) from $99 to $119.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

It still works for me. I order at least 5 items a week. Yesterday I ordered four things including a smart watch with free one day shipping. I could have jumped in the car to buy it at Best Buy for $20 more. 

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

214 orders placed in 2018
My Amazon Prime orders. I love it.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

See the end of this thread for a comment from Trinton about what is and is not allowed WRT dropshipping. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Ebay-Does-Not-Respect-It-s-Sellers-amp-Ban-Them-Without/m-p/29...

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@firstwave 

@firstwave wrote:

I bought an item on Ebay but it was delivered by Amazon...…..

Some buyers have a problem with this.  I do not.  I get the benefit of the prime account without having to pay for it.  

@firstwave wrote:

….The item was $4 less on Amazon …….

Usually when add in the shipping cost the item turns out to be more.  If somebody else is willing to use their prime account to give me free two day shipping I am okay with that.  

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@chinohighcowboys1963 wrote:

…. from Amazon...…. items tend to be packaged much better..

I am going to have to disagree with you on this point.  I bought 10 items there and 4 came damaged.  Smiley Sad  It is amazing that in all these years they have not figured out how to pack a hardcover book.  I don't want to give a banged up copy of a "brand new" book as a gift.  

Comparatively, most of the items that come directly from ebay sellers are packed better.  This is just my experience though.  Yours may be different.  

I agree with the rest of what you have said.  Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

People using their Prime account to fulfill sales are stealing from Amazon or whoever the carrier is. I'm not ok with that.

I am ok if they dropship from Amazon and don't use their Prime account.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

The item in question was $4 cheaper, but it's price was high enough to get free shipping from Amazon. But, this $4 is wiped out by Ebay fees, Paypal fees, and sales tax. I don't see how the seller did not lose a couple of dollars on this sale. That's why I'm worried this is a triangulation scheme. I don't know what to do since I have already called Ebay & Amazon.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Drop shipping is perfectly legal and acceptable on Ebay. It takes the tracking your purchase out of the hands of the buyer is some cases. Last month I bought something that showed as delivered but to an address in Florida...I am in California. The seller claims to have listed the wrong tracking info on my item. The item hasn't showed up and the TBA tracking # for Amazon does not work. Not happy that the seller claims it was delivered and has contacted the USPS for them to contact me.

Since when does USPS deliver cor Amazon? Drop shipping should not be allowed on ebay.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply