cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bidding manipulation scam, never seen this one before.

Other bidder placed bid at 1:28am for $11 and was winning auction at $10.50.

I placed bid at 1:53am for $11.01 and was winning auction by $0.01 at $11.01

The other bidder then retracted their $11 bid at 11:58am

Then the same bidder, at 3am placed bid for $11.05 after they already knew my highest bid amount was $11.01 and is the highest bidder now by $0.04

They waited until 3am so that I was unable to do the same to them since there is less than 12 hours remaining.

I can't even believe someone would go through all this for a $0.50 bid increment, rather than just placing a bid for $11.51. All this to save $0.46, unbelievable....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/196275092120

Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 03-35-40 eBay Item Bid History.png

Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 03-22-01 eBay Item Bid History.png

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Bidding manipulation scam, never seen this one before.

@*lady*madonna* wrote:

@campanaelia 

As far as I can tell, it is not the same bidder.

The retracter was 9***1, the  high bidder was 6***i (who was also first bidder on Mar. 9 @ $10.00).

eBay uses different camouflaged IDs in the bid history and in the cancellation/retraction history. If you go to the bidder details page for each of those IDs, you can see that not only do they have the same numbers for total bids (113), items bid on (39), etc., they also have the same (yet another) camouflaged ID on both of those Bidder Details pages: n***r.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote: .... There are only 2 reasons ebay allows for retractions.
  • The seller significantly changed the description of the item
  • You accidentally bid the wrong amount. For example, you meant to bid $20, not $200. In this case, enter the price you intended to bid as soon as you've retracted the incorrect bid

And that's exactly what the bid-retracter did. And he ended up winning the auction. Clearly, he wanted the item more than the OP did.

IMHO it's quite a stretch to say that retracting a bid of $11.01 and re-bidding $11.05 (over an hour later) is an example which fits that reason.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@*lady*madonna* wrote:

@campanaelia 

The retracter was 9***1, the  high bidder was 6***i (who was also first bidder on Mar. 9 @ $10.00).

Good catch! @*lady*madonna* 

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

@stuff4divas wrote:

@*lady*madonna* wrote:

Good catch! 

It's the same bidder.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@mudshark61369 wrote:

@campanaelia,

You replied to @albertabrightalberta :

"That should not matter, what the bidder did was wrong, that is the topic. I don't want the item now".

And I suppose you have never retracted a bid for an invalid reason? There are only 2 reasons ebay allows for retractions.

• The seller significantly changed the description of the item
  • You accidentally bid the wrong amount. For example, you meant to bid $20, not $200. In this case, enter the price you intended to bid as soon as you've retracted the incorrect bid

And that's exactly what the bid-retracter did. And he ended up winning the auction. Clearly, he wanted the item more than the OP did.

You must be joking. Clearly this was done to avoid paying the full bid increment. I would never retract a bid for that reason.

I did want the item, and like I said earlier the $11.01 was my max. I have no problem not winning, my point was the method that was used by the bidder to win. They should of bid the next full increment, not cheat to win.

But if a mentor like yourself is saying this is a valid reason for retracting a bid then I will have to try this too.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

@*lady*madonna* wrote:

@campanaelia 

Good catch! I saw that both the retracter and the winner were 548 feedback users and missed that they were different (anonymized) IDs. 

I take that back! Both the retractor and the ultimate winner are the same person. (Strange that their anonymized IDs are different!) 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 21 of 21
latest reply