cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of coins in FAKE PCGS Slabs

Recently i bought three coins in PCGS slabs from one China seller.

Suspicious of the final prices, I finally did verification checks on PCGS website, I was shocked to find all the coins were totally different from the coins (of the same certificate numbers) graded by PCGS!!!

I did a little sleuthing on the net and managed to find that one of the genuine coins graded by PCGS was auctioned off at Stacks and Bowers Auction in Hong Kong in Dec 2015 for usd1434. https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-2CUSX

Attached are the pics of (1) the genuine coin grade by PCGS on PCGS website, (2) the genuine coin in genuine PCGS slab from the Auction, and (3) the coin in FAKE PCGS slab sold by the seller (they have the same PCGS certificate number, 31059622!!!).

The coin sold by this ebay seller is totally different from the genuine one in genuine PCGS slab. The logo and the printing of the label on the FAKE PCGS slab are all out of place!!!

Since i have made the payment to this Seller, i am waiting for the coins to arrive before I can open a case against him to return them for full refund. Alas! The tracking number he gave me was invalid. If the coins do not arrive after a certain time i will open a case for not receiving them. 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Beware of coins in FAKE PCGS Slabs

The "new" policy on Ebay is that when you receive a counterfeit coin, report it to Ebay. When you get your money back...Ebay instructs you NOT to return the coin but sign a statement that you destroyed the coin. The coin should be sent to Ebay and they should do something with the coin.
Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Ebay does NOT require that the coins be returned to receive reimbursement. I guess this is a new policy. The buyer needs to certify to Ebay that they destroyed the coin.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

I'm the OP. Bought the coin, never paid, and reported it. Incidentally, I also left negative feedback.
Message 18 of 22
latest reply

I'm the OP. I bought the coin, didn't pay, reported it to Ebay and incidentally left negative feedback.
Message 19 of 22
latest reply

There's a lot one needs to be aware of when buying certified coins regardless of where one is doing the buying:

1) fake coins in fake slabs;

2) genuine coins in fake slabs;

3) genuine coins in fake slabs with exaggerated grading or irregularities that make them un-slab-able;

4) genuine coins in genuine slabs that are graded improperly or not properly identified;

5) fake coins in genuine slabs (recycled body parts from crack-outs);

6) genuine coins in genuine slabs that are doctored;

7) genuine coins in genuine slabs (switched higher grade authentic with a lower grade coin or problem coin);

😎 genuine coins in genuine slabs with changed inserts;

9) fake coins in genuine slabs (grading service mistake).

The grading services were established particularly for the coin buying public to reduce the risk of purchasing over-graded or problem coins. They were not established to authenticate -- with the exception of rare US gold and the occasional key date coins. By default, and due to changing market conditions, they now first authenticate the submission and secondarily determine if the coin is gradable and if so, do so.

In effect though, the certification services have made coin buying a highly risky endeavor. Only for those with the resources and skills who to know how to authenticate and know grading as well as know something about numismatic forensics and counterfeit detection when encountering a certified coin. For all others it is a crapshoot.

Before one decides to buy the coin one must 'buy' the seller/dealer. This is where anonymous sellers and those especially located outside of the US have taken eBay by storm with their nefarious goods.

My recommendation today is to not purchase certified coins on eBay due to the unacceptable level of risk. Sure, there are SNAD procedures and other forms of recourse, but why place one's hard earned funds in the hands of another entity not party to the transaction and one who may have an agenda of their own that is not in your best interest? Instead, one must perform due diligence on both the certified coin and the seller beforehand. Only purchase certified coins, in person, from a known seller/dealer, with terms of sale agreed by both parties in writing.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

Rule #1 - Don't buy from China or any other country that has no rule of law when it comes to commercial transactions.
Message 21 of 22
latest reply

That is CORRECT! eBay will send you the return shipping label & THEY / SELLER get the money taken right out of their account!

Message 22 of 22
latest reply