cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Seller requests that they buyer cancels their order because the seller made a mistake in the price

I received an offer from a seller for a pair of designer sun glasses. I accepted the offer and paid for the item. Within 15 minutes , I receive a note from the seller asking me to cancel my order because the seller made a  mistake. Am I legally obligated to cancel my order based on a mistake the seller made that they did not notice for over 24 hour when they initially made the offer to me?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: A Seller requests that they buyer cancels their order because the seller made a mistake in the p

The seller is trying to get you to request the cancellation so they don't get a defect on their account. Don't do it. Open a case as described above. If the seller cancels for any reason other than out of stock or damaged report them here.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: A Seller requests that they buyer cancels their order because the seller made a mistake in the p

Buyers can't cancel orders sellers do that. 
What you can do is wait until the day after the last estimated date of delivery to open an item not received case. 
To do that, go to your purchase history, find the item click the drop down menu it will either say " I didn't receive it" or More Actions find and click "I didn't receive it". Follow the prompts. 
The seller will have 2-3 days to either refund or submit tracking. If the seller does nothing, go back to the case and click "ask eBay to step in" for your refund.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

No.

I wouldn't do anything. It's up to the seller.

I wouldn't respond to seller's emails either.

The seller will eventually cancel the sale or ship the item.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Tell the seller they need to cancel- buyers cannot. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

The seller is trying to get you to request the cancellation so they don't get a defect on their account. Don't do it. Open a case as described above. If the seller cancels for any reason other than out of stock or damaged report them here.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

That would give the seller the excuse to cancel per the buyer request.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

The seller will manage in some way to not ship the item to you.

He will possibly cancel, citing "buyer requested", or just not ship it.

Be sure you know exactly what to do if/when that happens. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

If they do that, the seller could cancel as buyer requested and won't get the defect they deserve.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

If the seller screwed up, that's their problem

Don't do anything and see what they do.

If they cancel the order as buyer requested, report the seller for using the wrong reason to cancel.

They need to cancel as out of stock.

Have a great day
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

You've been given great advice, and I'd personally lean toward what @ebooksdiva and @kathiec posted.

You want the item you paid for... of course, you don't want to cancel. I'd sit tight and wait for the item I'd bought and open an Item Not Received claim one day past the Estimated Delivery Date on the order.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@kathiec wrote:

What I've seen often lately is sellers refunding the payment without doing any type of official ebay cancellation, and by doing that they get no defect. Must be a new loophole they figured out.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

In addition to my last post, once the refund is done the buyer can no longer open an INR case.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@campanaeliasaid: What I've seen often lately is sellers refunding the payment without doing any type of official ebay cancellation, and by doing that they get no defect. Must be a new loophole they figured out.

While this does avoid an imminent defect, it also opens them up to potentially getting two defects instead so it's really not worth it unless they know for certain that the seller isn't going to open a case against them.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@kathiec 

Here is a screenshot of how an order appears in my purchase history that was refunded w/o seller cancellation

Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 13-58-22 My eBay - Summary 111.png

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

You can't open any case after the order is refunded but not cancelled, I tried it. I've been through this scenario many times. And some sellers that did this are TRS

Message 15 of 15
latest reply