cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 day Handling???

Very rarely do I purchase on-line.   When I couldn't find a particular almost out of season item at the local stores, I thought "ebay".

Found my item from a big box store.  Saw estimated arrival - arrive 1/17 to 1/24.  Huh? 

Oh, they have a 10 day handling time.  Huh?  Really?  How about 1 day to pick, 3 days to travel (I can drive to their distribution point in less than one day)?   That would be more realisitic.  10 days for handling then add shipping time?

So out of curiousity, I went off eBay to their competitor.  Same price, same item, in store pickup.  1/4.

So guess where I bought it?

Instead of pestering us little sellers, eBay should be pushing their big box sellers to offer better terms.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

10 day Handling???

Or, just do as you did - don't buy from that seller.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

10 day Handling???

I've been on Ebay since 1999. I used to wait a month to get my item. I'm not buying insulin. I'd rather have choice than require sellers to meet unnecessary requirements that may force sellers off the site. 

Seems to me that if the information is available bidders can make their own decisions.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

10 day Handling???

Just because a seller shows "ships within X business days" doesn't always mean it will take them that long to ship.     Some just add extra time to make up for any delays that may occur , but they will ship sooner if they can.    This way they don't get bombarded prematurely with "where's my stuff" messages.   

previously known as boardnpostsid
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

10 day Handling???

As an active and successful seller you are no doubt familiar with eBay's highly successful marketing strategy for sellers known as 3 Day Shipping Guaranteed.

Aside from entering into a more exciting competition for sellers pitted against other sellers with no tangible benefit for sellers, the program has a rare consequence of the goods not being in the the hands of the buyer within the projected time frame of those three days plus the estimated time of the Post Office offers as an estimate of their delivery. 

I believe we have seen a post by one seller who has been stymied by the Post Office not delivering in accordance with their published delivery estimates due to the Christmas Holidays.

Further, there may have been one instance of a buyer being far off base by thinking the three days meant the product would be in his hands within three days. 

The three day program has the added stimulus of assessing tangible seller penalties for those who fall below the minimum requirement of their guaranteed (that what guarantee means) efforts and the occasional shortcoming of an odd hard working employee  of the USPS.

By the way, "Instead of pestering us little sellers, eBay should be pushing their big box sellers to offer better terms".  eBay became the well managed, multimillion dollar company it is today by from the efforts of all those  little sellers. 

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

10 day Handling???

@duggmills wrote:

As an active and successful seller you are no doubt familiar with eBay's highly successful marketing strategy for sellers known as 3 Day Shipping Guaranteed.

Aside from entering into a more exciting competition for sellers pitted against other sellers with no tangible benefit for sellers, the program has a rare consequence of the goods not being in the the hands of the buyer within the projected time frame of those three days plus the estimated time of the Post Office offers as an estimate of their delivery. 

I believe we have seen a post by one seller who has been stymied by the Post Office not delivering in accordance with their published delivery estimates due to the Christmas Holidays.

Further, there may have been one instance of a buyer being far off base by thinking the three days meant the product would be in his hands within three days. 

The three day program has the added stimulus of assessing tangible seller penalties for those who fall below the minimum requirement of their guaranteed (that what guarantee means) efforts and the occasional shortcoming of an odd hard working employee  of the USPS.

By the way, "Instead of pestering us little sellers, eBay should be pushing their big box sellers to offer better terms".  eBay became the well managed, multimillion dollar company it is today by from the efforts of all those  little sellers. 

“Highly successful 3 day shipping guaranteed”? Why you making stuff up? Guaranteed delivery just started 3 months ago, it’s not highly successful and it’s not 3 day shipping guaranteed...

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

10 day Handling???

@shoptalkid wrote:

Just because a seller shows "ships within X business days" doesn't always mean it will take them that long to ship.     Some just add extra time to make up for any delays that may occur , but they will ship sooner if they can.    This way they don't get bombarded prematurely with "where's my stuff" messages.   

I also think that smart casual sellers who can't/won't go to the PO every day have learned to play the expectation game and leave themselves more time to ship.

Buyers like the OP may walk away, but shipping late has worse consequences.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

10 day Handling???

Even here on eBay, so-called "big box" sellers can be out of stock and awaiting a new supply. They are also deep into year-end inventory and may not be placing orders or accepting shipments until that chore is finished.

It is also entirely possible that an "almost out of season" item might not become available at all, or perhaps only a limited quantity. Therefore, an extended delivery window allows the vendor to make decisions and handle orders without being rushed or painted into the proverbial corner.

You were smart to shop elsewhere -- if I were in a hurry, that's what I would have done, too. But I would have gone 1 step further and asked vendor #2 for an "end of season" discount!

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply