cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help re: defective item

I purchased a ring which just arrived in the mail.

The ring is missing a small accent stone. I went back to the auction to see if the seller mentioned a stone missing but it wasn’t in the item description. 

However, looking very closely at the photo in the auction I can see that a stone is indeed missing in the photo. What I thought was an accent diamond is an empty space.

The ring wasn’t cheap. 

Do I tell the seller the item wasn’t as described or do I say it’s defective?

Is a seller required to disclose any defects when they put something up for sale or is a photo of the defective item sufficient for them to avoid any complaints? I’m looking for input regarding the most practical way to handle this. 

Thoughts?

Thanks & Happy New Year!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@cheburashkastar

The seller is required to list any and all defects. Using a picture where it's hard to see a missing stone isn't good enough.

Simply tell the seller there's a stone missing and that you wish to return the item at his expense for a full refund. Don't go back and forth with him. Then open an item not as described case with ebay. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@cheburashkastar

The seller is required to list any and all defects. Using a picture where it's hard to see a missing stone isn't good enough.

Simply tell the seller there's a stone missing and that you wish to return the item at his expense for a full refund. Don't go back and forth with him. Then open an item not as described case with ebay. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

That’s exactly the type answer I was looking for!

Thanks again for taking the time!

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

It's entirely possible they didn't know about it.  Call their attention to their own picture and see how they respond.  THAT will help determine your next step.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Another great piece of info. I’ll for sure keep it in mind & give the seller the benefit of the doubt. 

They move a lot of jewelry so like you said it certainly could be the case.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply