cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi

Another newbie. I. Love. Buttons. I can get lost for hours... days... sorting and grouping and categorizing buttons. I don't really know the names for the various kinds I have, I know generally the materials such as shell, mother of pearl, glass, rhinestone, plastic, brass, metal, enameled, and so on, and I have a lot to learn in terms of period and origin.  But I have lots. Lots and lots, lol! I love looking at the pics you've posted. I hope this becomes a more active group.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Hi

I am new to buttons too. And hope this becomes an active group too. I don't even know where to start in organizing all these things besides color. How are you organizing yours. Cleaning them too. What is the best way...plastic I mean. Any books that are and were helpful for you beside the bible, The big book of Buttons by Hughes.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@needlenosedog wrote:

I am new to buttons too. And hope this becomes an active group too. I don't even know where to start in organizing all these things besides color. How are you organizing yours. Cleaning them too. What is the best way...plastic I mean. Any books that are and were helpful for you beside the bible, The big book of Buttons by Hughes.

Well, if they're all plastic, then I would group them by color. I tend to separate out unique shapes, such as flowers or butterflies or other obvious shape besides just round and put those together. The groupings just sort of happen naturally, lol, but looking right now over at my group of plastic buttons I have them separated into 12 different bins basically by color with one being of definite shapes (flowers, etc.). Plastic by itself cleans up with soap and water. If they're on a card that's a different story. Dab with Q-tip and water or alcohol. Have to be careful if the plastic is painted, then alcohol won't work. But for solid plastic should be ok. If the buttons are loose and you don't have anything fragile to worry about, I'd put them in a bowl of hot soapy water.

Storage. Mason jars work well but take up a lot of space if you have a lot of them. I keep my plastic buttons like I said in these neat stackable nesting plastic bins I found at the thrift store. They're about 4 inches tall, 3 inches wide, and 6-8 inches long with a lid that nests neatly inside, keeping the sides smooth so they can lay side by side with no gaps. I have 12 of them and they stack very neatly, I keep them stacked 4 containers tall and 3 containers wide, like this they fit perfectly in the shelf I keep them on, and are perfect for this very sort of thing. My better quality buttons are in little plastic baggies in a drawer. They're by material (glass, wood, shell, etc), and size, and color. Super organized, down to each pair or matching sets. Extra special buttons are in their own bag so as to protect them. The plastic buttons, on the other hand, are just loose in the plastic bins I described. Some are bagged in groups but not all.

You're making me want to get them out ..... lol..... oh lordy don't get me started.....!

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Wow, I haven't got there yet. (organizing) I have a truck load to sort. That helps a lot. I can't wait to start organizing and getting them into some sort of container. I can't wait to start looking them up too in a reference book. How do you look up your buttons?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Hello!

I have been collecting buttons for a while and joined the National Button Society (NBS) a few years ago. There are clubs in almost every state- take a look to see if there is one near you- there are 4 official clubs in NH and one unofficial! 

When sorting and cleaning buttons- separate the metals and metallicized plastic ones out irst-- check for any discoloration- rust or green that may have corroded your buttons and put then somewhere if you want to experiment cleaning them or as I do- toss them unless they are rare ones.

Next- separate the shell and glass ones into separate containers- shell can be cleaned by using Minereal Oil dabbed on a soft cloth-- do not try to wash them in water- you will get deposits on them.  Glass can be cleaned with a microfiber cloth and a little water if they don't have metal shanks and don't have a painted surface. Also- with these buttons if the shanks are metal and have turned color- put them aside or get rid of them.

Plastics- there are many types- do NOT immerse them in water if they are not one piece molded plastic-- some of the early plastics like celluloids have multiple layers and sometimes have a cardboard center that you can't see- if it becomes wet- it will ruin the button.

The rule of thumb for cleaning buttons is do the very least- Check the NBS website and others for cleaning tips.

Here is a link to Button Country that tells about many of the cleaning tips!

http://www.buttonsintime.com/howto2.htm

RKev479
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@kevghas123 wrote:

Hello!

I have been collecting buttons for a while and joined the National Button Society (NBS) a few years ago. There are clubs in almost every state- take a look to see if there is one near you- there are 4 official clubs in NH and one unofficial! 

The rule of thumb for cleaning buttons is do the very least- Check the NBS website and others for cleaning tips.

Here is a link to Button Country that tells about many of the cleaning tips!

http://www.buttonsintime.com/howto2.htm

Wow, thank you for the info! Excellent resource for cleaning the various materials. You are so right about being more careful than I indicated; it's been a while since I played with (sorted, adored, admired, fantasized about using in some way, drooled over, or heck, even had a new batch to sort, lol) my buttons so I wasn't thinking in detail but you're right I would never put my buttons in water carelessly.

Going back to the info you provided, what a terrific website that is; thank you for the link. I've read it all. I wish I could go to the big show in San Diego later this month. And yay, there is a club here in Sacramento. The meetings aren't real close but so what. Hey, in fact, now that I think of it, their monthly meeting might actually be today... gonna have to double check... The Blue Book. I don't believe I've ever seen one for buttons before. I used to do custom dressmaking and loved when I could use a special button or group of buttons on something and it would be just the perfect finishing touch to make it sing.

I am curious as to how you could scan a drawer of buttons for record keeping. don't they jam it up? 😉 Seriously I have no idea how you would do that... except perhaps just take a regular photograph with a camera? I dunno but the visuals I'm having right now of your scanning process are pretty silly (crack, crunch, screeetch! thump thump thump). Oh oh oh I think I know -- are they mounted? So you'd just lay the thing on the glass to scan? I can't imagine putting loose buttons on the glass. Well yes I can but not with good results (?).

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Needlenosedog, did you recently acquire or inherit this truckload of buttons you're referring to? Either way, lucky you! If you were close by I'd offer to help you. I love sorting them. Silly, huh. Takes me back to childhood.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I am so glad you liked the link and hope you are able to check out the button club!!!

I take pics of my buttons- my scanner can't do buttons 🙂

I have no idea how Button Country got such great photos.

Enjoy!

Ruth

RKev479
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Yes, almost. Six and half pounds!!!  I am sorting my brains out. I got them and they just threw them in a box. About the time I got them some escaped. A two inch hole in the box. They didnt put them into a ziplock or anything.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply