cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help IDing this pendant (?)

I know it's sterling ... but that's about it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  TIA!!! Front and back pictures included ... DSCF2747.JPGDSCF2747.JPG

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Help IDing this pendant (?)

Crossed Scimitars are a Shriner's symbol..... http://themasonslady.com/tag/masonic-emblem/  this might not give you all of the meanings, please post here if you find out anything...the hollow on the top is intriguing! also is personalized? is that a name... the script is definitely old....

Tags: Shriners, Order of the Eastern Star, scimitar (the type of sword) good luck!

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Hey sathya7

Interesting ... my great grandparents were masonic/eastern star ... not sure where this piece came from, was given to me by my aunt who perhaps received from my grandmother, her parents being my greats.  hadn't thought about the masonic connection.  Thanks and I'll post when I find more info ...

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thanks! I love a mystery.... is the name on the back Pat, looks like "Poil" wonder what the hollow tube like shape is all about? one answer could be that it was used to put some cotton and perfume in, an "aromatic pendant" if you will :)........... I know they had such things in Victorian times, mainly because the streets were so stinky!

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@sathya7 wrote:

Thanks! I love a mystery.... is the name on the back Pat, looks like "Poil" wonder what the hollow tube like shape is all about? one answer could be that it was used to put some cotton and perfume in, an "aromatic pendant" if you will :)........... I know they had such things in Victorian times, mainly because the streets were so stinky!

I think you are talking about a Vinaigrette..

I don't believe that is what you have there, as it would need to be enclosed, and air tight...or the perfume would quickly evaporate.

Check the link below,and you will note that the vinaigrettes from that era where enclosed with a lid, or a similar closure..

https://www.google.com/search?q=victorian+vinaigrette&biw=1272&bih=578&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa...

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thanks, those pics were a treat.... just learned a whole lot 🙂
wonder what lxn5696's pendant is... no thoughts?
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I recently talked to my aunt regarding the pendant.  Didn't come through the family at all...she picked it up years ago in California either at some little shop or a flea market ... soooo, that even more confuses.  Writing on back could be French, but part is obscured.  Anyone with any info ... look at pictures at beginning of thread ... anyone know what this is????

I want/need to sell but don't know how to price the little thing!!!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

You could sell it as a mystery object, it is sterling, how heavy is it? You could add the Shriners tag and Masons too...... the writing looks like "Poil" or "Pal" ....
Message 8 of 8
latest reply