cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question thread: Final value fee change in most categories

As you know, fees vary across categories as eBay always strives to achieve lowest total fees across category competitors. Starting on March 1, 2022, final value fees for Store sellers and those without a store will increase slightly. You can learn more about that here, or review the fee comparison chart here. Feel free to ask any questions below! 

Please note that eBay experts will be present and engaging on the boards between 8 am and 4:00 pm PST on 2.9.

Message 1 of 222
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi everyone! These threads are closed from further replies. If there are outstanding questions that we are waiting for additional information with, we will update the thread with the response we receive and tag you to make sure you get the notification.

Velvet,
eBay

View Best Answer in original post

Message 222 of 222
latest reply
221 REPLIES 221

Why the increase in fees? I thought ebay was leaving paypal and handling payments on their own because it would lower slightly the fees for sellers and now that they switch has been made the fees increase? I find it strange how it seems sellers are always getting the short end of the stick whether it comes to weak claims by buyers or benefits with fees. If the sellers stop using ebay then the platform would cease to exist so wouldnt it make sense to provide them with some type of benefit?

Message 2 of 222
latest reply

So all that additional income generated from desperate sellers using Promoted Listings isn't enough?  Promoted Listings do not generate a bump in sales but merely attempt to keep sales roughly at what they are without promoting. eBay decides to charge more to be seen less?

A Store used to offer the benefit of lower fees than non-store operators paid.  Why pay the monthly fee for a Store now?

Message 3 of 222
latest reply

And also with the increased shipping fees, sellers are being hit twice. Time to rethink where I sell. I’m still waiting for someone to fix my incorrect charge for an international shipping label. It’s been almost a month and no action yet despite talking to 4 reps. Sellers are not a priority to Ebay. And it shows.

Message 4 of 222
latest reply

It's their veiled attempt to get more money in their pockets with their decision to stop using PayPal. With all the increases in fees, buyers needing to pay taxes even for international purchases, fees getting deducted from the shipping cost and taxes that neither amount go to the seller, ebay has become less attractive place to buy and sell. I only sell to get rid of personal stuff that I find has value but all those accounted for, doesn't make worth the hassle lately. There are other platforms out there that charge less in fees and the sellers and buyers just need to move there. Unfortunately, I think most sellers just turn a blind eye. 

Message 5 of 222
latest reply

It is not accurate to state that a fee change from 12.55% to 12.9% is an increase of 0.35%.

If an item is $100, the fee becomes $12.90 rather than $12.55, which is actually an increase of 2.8%, 8x the so-called 0.35% increase.

So, I believe the correct way of stating it is that the FVF is increasing by 2.8%, not by 0.35%.

Message 6 of 222
latest reply

I find it hypocritical that you begin the notice with 'As eBay continues to invest' and 'lowest fees among competitors' - Well for one example FB Marketplace offers a 5% flat fee and other marketplaces are more competitive because they don't include final value fees that includes sales tax and shipping, etc.. and if you do invest in the platform that means you put your money where your mouth is and invest in your sellers and buyers. Managed payments is a joke. Service metrics can't be amended even it a buyer bogusly states INAD and INR. Sure we can get defects removed but you're raising fees for people who get these bad service metrics to 6% even though it could be from fraud buyers. At this point, you are only taxing your sellers even more. You have increased shoe fees at beginning of year, increased fees in winter, super inflation, and shipping cost increases that hit record levels this year. If you wanted to invest in your platform, you should have helped eat the record cost burden of sellers to offer more to your buyers. Buyers will most certainly be scared away when us sellers increase prices and shipping fees. End rant.

Message 7 of 222
latest reply

Somebody get a lifeline it won't be long more desperate attempts gouge sellers... Get the revenue up before they scrap it to Amazon.... I don't make enough for my time and effort already and to continue to pay more fees more rules longer payout delays... How many times do my funds have to be verified once on eBay a day or two delay then with my bank, another day or two delay what a hassle bring back PayPal or better yet PayPal should start a sellers website... I'll be on it in a second.

Prepare for the big changeover when it's called Jeff Bezos eBay.

Message 8 of 222
latest reply

Its a real shame how sellers get treated. I have been an ebay member for 20 years now and as a platform to sell i have no complaints. Its easy to use and has a strong reach, but the way sellers are treated is so disappointing. StockX, which is a platform and company that i really am not a fan of, at least takes care of its sellers. You ship your sales within 36 hours, they lower your fee. You sell a certain amount in a period of time, they lower your fees. You have a high success rate, they send your payout immediately upon the item being scanned with the courier. Ebay is not heading in the right direction. This leaves a bad taste for me

Message 9 of 222
latest reply

Yet another way to make sellers the least important group to the management of EBay.  Managed payments???  It is almost impossible to make sure EBay is giving you all your money because the numbers in the Payment section change frequently.  Between shipping and fees both rising it will be impossible to keep a small business afloat.

Message 10 of 222
latest reply

Ebay I really hope you make better decisions going forward because this update is simply beneficial to you and not your so called ebay community you act like you care for. Your greed for more money shows and although you are more transparent on how your matching "industry standard" on how you calculate and assess fees simply says we do what we want and don't care. Also for you to state that you follow those standards does not help your sellers at all. Ebay is the industry standard so set your profits aside and set the bar low to attract a better experience all around from buyers to sellers. As it is you out source your customer service to those robotic "customer service representatives" that are so scripted it makes me embrassed for your so called forture 500 company. Your so out of touch with your sellers and this community thread speaks for itself. 

Message 11 of 222
latest reply

So you're staying competitive with other online auction sites by increasing fees? Seems like a way to appease shareholders after the recent plummet of Ebay stock.

Message 12 of 222
latest reply

This thread has more views and comments, has anyone else noticed that?   

And there are other price increases recently, from groceries, gas, postage, taxes, etc.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 13 of 222
latest reply

Ebay has become a multi=billion dollar company on the sales of the average person, yet they keep raising fees and running more and more of us to alternative selling places, WHY????? GREED is all I can come up with. We no longer the the big bang for the buck because Ebay keeps taking more and more of that dollar.Not to say anything about the GOV

Message 14 of 222
latest reply

As a seller, it is disappointing that eBay’s business model continues to prioritize short-term revenue through regular fee increases, in lieu of fully developing a business plan to drive organic growth from greater volumes of sales and by attracting more buyers and sellers to the platform.  There will come a point in the next decade where the current business model is no longer sustainable. 

Message 15 of 222
latest reply