cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question thread: Final value fee change in most categories

As you know, fees vary across categories as eBay always strives to achieve lowest total fees across category competitors. Starting on March 1, 2022, final value fees for Store sellers and those without a store will increase slightly. You can learn more about that here, or review the fee comparison chart here. Feel free to ask any questions below! 

Please note that eBay experts will be present and engaging on the boards between 8 am and 4:00 pm PST on 2.9.

Message 1 of 222
latest reply
221 REPLIES 221

Re: Question thread: Final value fee change in most categories

Thank you for this, very much my experience too. I started here in 1998, when there really were no other options, through the late nineties I made money selling trains and such as I was sick, couldn’t work and applied for disability. I got through it. But I grew tired of eBays changes, don’t sell much anymore, still looking for a better place with more control, maybe Shopify (like eBay on your own website) is the answer, I don’t know…

I don’t understand why they don’t settle on one thing that brings eBay great praise with no real concerns for profit, that will come.

Much like the CostCo model- have a great plan, retain people’s respect and purchases, outlast the competition.

Still makes a profit, takes care of their staff and has top notch products and customer service…

Message 211 of 222
latest reply

@flippingroo wrote:

Yes.  I am a low volume seller and upgraded from starter to basic so that I could get the $25 shipping supply coupon.  But since that is supposed to last the whole quarter and supplies have gotten more expensive, it really doesn't go very far.  

I know, which is my point.  Our coupons have not increased at all over the years, but the branded supplies have by a HUGE amount.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 212 of 222
latest reply

@flippingroo wrote:

Yes.  I am a low volume seller and upgraded from starter to basic so that I could get the $25 shipping supply coupon.  But since that is supposed to last the whole quarter and supplies have gotten more expensive, it really doesn't go very far.  

Anytime there is a change on Ebay that many sellers don't like, similar statements get made, yet the majority of sellers on Ebay are small and casual sellers.

Message 213 of 222
latest reply

@flippingroo wrote:

Very well written.  This says exactly what I wanted to say and more.  I'm not wanting to leave the platform but I am branching out because I am worried for the future of reselling on this platform, for sellers like me.  I don't know if we are welcome here any longer.  I know as it stands now my items do have more visibility on eBay but I've had good success with other places I have tried as well.  Time will tell.

There is nothing wrong with branching out.  Actually that is simply good for business.  I've sold on multiple platforms for years.  

Just make sure you do your homework and understand the fee structure and payment processing on any site you might choose.

Message 214 of 222
latest reply

Yes, no intentions on leaving the platform at all.  eBay is my main platform and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.  Even as a small seller I can still make a profit and see no reason to jump ship.  There might be things that can be improved, and that's what the conversation is for, but I would have much more overhead if I were running my own business.

Message 215 of 222
latest reply

@flippingroo wrote:

Yes, no intentions on leaving the platform at all.  eBay is my main platform and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.  Even as a small seller I can still make a profit and see no reason to jump ship.  There might be things that can be improved, and that's what the conversation is for, but I would have much more overhead if I were running my own business.

It is always a mixed bag, no matter what site you sell on.  Some sites have higher fees and some have lower fees.  Some have roughly the same money processing system and some make you wait even longer.  Some have good traffic and some don't.  

Because of that and more, it is a very good idea to diversify.  It will only help you.

What I find is some things sell really well on another site that may not sell well on Ebay and then the other way around too.  So in time you will likely see things like this too and can adjust your little business so you can best take advantage of that.

Message 216 of 222
latest reply

Since we pay fees on shipping, eBay gets a bump up in fees collected at least once a year each time postage rates go up. Last year there were two rate hikes, plus the temporary one for the holidays at the end of the year. Sellers are paying more in postage and thus more in fees. Even though this new increase is small, it's on top of everything else.

Message 217 of 222
latest reply

and postage fees go up yet again in April.....

Message 218 of 222
latest reply

You are opening yourself to a class action suit by collecting fees on funds that are never seen by the seller.

Message 219 of 222
latest reply

Lick the boot.

Message 220 of 222
latest reply

You are running your own business, somebody just wants to shove their hands deeper in your pockets.

Message 221 of 222
latest reply

Hi everyone! These threads are closed from further replies. If there are outstanding questions that we are waiting for additional information with, we will update the thread with the response we receive and tag you to make sure you get the notification.

Velvet,
eBay
Message 222 of 222
latest reply