cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New All-Time Low-No Replies Needed

I have reached a new all-time low, one sale in the past 14 days, I know the cheerleaders are going to say it's my fault, my inventory, my this, my that, BLAH BLAH BLAH, & to those I say you are Very Wrong!, This has become a pitiful place to try & conduct your own business under someone else's rule of thumb!, It's really a shame, This is not the ebay I signed up with, promising to Help you build your business, Now they do everything but!, Empty Promises, Comment if you want, I may not comment back, What I do know is when it is time to renew my store,I will not, & In fact I may just shut down completely & box it all up & take a nice long Hiatus from this Maniacal Madness!

Message 1 of 298
latest reply
297 REPLIES 297

Re: New All-Time Low-No Replies Needed

@itsjustasprain wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@pereirahawk wrote:

To suggest anything less would be without merit because voting is a requirement in our Democracy.

The act of voting is not a requirement, it's a right and people have a choice to vote.  

The incumbent can't get voted in, but they most definitely can be voted out.  Let's be real, we're essentially running on a two party system, which leaves only one that can be voted in.

There's a lot of merit suggestive of a bigly transition: Wildwood, New Jersey, over 100,000 souls showed up, in a blue state, mind you. 

Let's go!!!

Interesting.  What is the legal penalty to someone that chooses not to vote?  I 've been around a good number of years and I've never known that it was a "requirement" to vote.  Then you contradict what your first statement says in your second sentence.

Actually that first line was a quote from your earlier post. You are the one who wrote that in Message 179:

'Well that will depend on who gets voted in as our next POTUS. We still require an election and it isn't a forgone conclusion who will be the President until we actually vote and the votes get counted. To suggest anything less would be without merit because voting is a requirement in our Democracy.'

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/New-All-Time-Low-No-Replies-Needed/m-p/34459012#M2398556

Did you mean to maybe write 'voting is NOT a requirement in our Democracy'? Yes elections are required but obviously voting in them is not.

I did, thank you for reminding me.  It just took on a whole different meaning when you took it out of context.  For my post it was intended to mean that to have a Democracy, people need to vote.  For you it meant something totally different and not what was intended.  I do apologize as I could have worded it better.

Voting is required to have a Democracy.  To not have a system of voting to elect people to certain government offices would mean everyone gains those offices by other means, which would not be the Democratic process.

I get it, you want what I posted to seem as if it was something other than what I actually posted, but it just isn't your interpretation.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 226 of 298
latest reply

Well...

I was doing fine until Feb 2022... when sales dropped about 50%.  Things remained bad for the most part until Nov 2023.  Nov, Dec, and January were very good...back to old times!  Then things collapsed again and Feb was my worst month possibly since I started  (7 sales total).  March was a little better.   This month so far is running behind February with a total of 3 sales.  Yikes!  No sales to California since 12/31/23... and I used to get 2-4 every month.  The upside is... I don't have to bother going to the Post Office any more.

Message 227 of 298
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

@movieman630 wrote:

As I've said before, the evidence is in the macro view of your sales numbers not the micro.  It's hard to detect patterns when there's daily, weekly, monthly and yearly limitations that all play off each other.  But when you look at yearly totals, after all my years of experience I can't seem to break a certain level of sales year over year.  It's good to know where you'll be, but it's very confusing as to why you just can't seem to get above a certain number despite your year after year attempts at expanding your business.

It's not organic.

I remain agnostic about whether eBay does any kind of throttling.  I have certainly seen some compelling data to support the assertion, but it WAS on a smaller scale timeline, a matter of weeks, certainly not months, let alone years.  How could there even be an algorithm that micro-manages (individual seller-level) the macro-level of sales amounts?  How could it anticipate when to throttle your store's visibility, especially if you offer a wide variety of categories, and with no ability to predict future buyer interest?  

Also why wouldn't they want your business to grow?  The more money you make, the more FVF's they collect from you.  

They can do anything with code.

Message 228 of 298
latest reply

@movieman630 wrote:

@gurlcat wrote:

@movieman630 wrote:

As I've said before, the evidence is in the macro view of your sales numbers not the micro.  It's hard to detect patterns when there's daily, weekly, monthly and yearly limitations that all play off each other.  But when you look at yearly totals, after all my years of experience I can't seem to break a certain level of sales year over year.  It's good to know where you'll be, but it's very confusing as to why you just can't seem to get above a certain number despite your year after year attempts at expanding your business.

It's not organic.

I remain agnostic about whether eBay does any kind of throttling.  I have certainly seen some compelling data to support the assertion, but it WAS on a smaller scale timeline, a matter of weeks, certainly not months, let alone years.  How could there even be an algorithm that micro-manages (individual seller-level) the macro-level of sales amounts?  How could it anticipate when to throttle your store's visibility, especially if you offer a wide variety of categories, and with no ability to predict future buyer interest?  

Also why wouldn't they want your business to grow?  The more money you make, the more FVF's they collect from you.  

They can do anything with code.

Omg.  It's like you didn't even read what I said.  

Message 229 of 298
latest reply

Maybe it's just me, but I look at the OPs listings and it's stuff that's market saturated via flippers who show up at a dept store at opening looking to clean the place out and flip. 

The country is pretty much going broke and the "collectibles" market is always the first to suffer. 

Message 230 of 298
latest reply

@paxilill wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I look at the OPs listings and it's stuff that's market saturated via flippers who show up at a dept store at opening looking to clean the place out and flip. 

The country is pretty much going broke and the "collectibles" market is always the first to suffer. 

As far as I can tell from selling here for a fair number of years, the collectibles market is something that not only changes, but like clothing (which I sell) is supersaturated. I can't sell what I sold even three years ago, I have to keep things turning over, and local antique and collectibles malls, plus thrifts, are filled with collectibles that pretty much just sit there. There is nothing wrong with the items at all, but people just don't collect as much as they used to, and I think that's independent of the economy, but it has been sinking for quite a while (like clothing) due to super-saturation and sheer competition, which has taken a jump since the pandemic. Add to that Boomers and GenX'ers doing Swedish Death Cleaning...I see literal trucks pulling up and off-loading stuff at local thrifts with piles of this old stuff. Clothing is equally awful, but at least people have to put *something* on their backs or get arrested for public nudity.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 231 of 298
latest reply

One of my sons, millennial, and his wife are purging now. Selling the nice house with a pool in DFW and heading to east Texas, the sticks.....  They both like where we live only they are heading further out, buying some land, might start out there with a travel trailer, lol. 

None of my sons or their wives collect anything that I know of. I remember my wife trying to give away her mother's china. No one in the family could give a hoot about china. Nick-knacks are not overly prevalent.

Ended up giving the china to our gardner and his wife.

We are up to a dog and 4 cats. I suppose we collect cats. Just did add a kitty drinking fountain this week..... 

Posting ID
Message 232 of 298
latest reply

I only have a few nick knacks, everything in my place has to have a purpose or down the road it can go. 

The one who dies with the most toys, still dies. 

Message 233 of 298
latest reply

What is deemed a collectable changes over time.  What was seen as a valuable collectible 20 years ago is simply not the same for most collectors now.  As the buyers of collectable items age, items that are considered collectibles change.  It is not an industry that stays the same year over year.  

Message 234 of 298
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

My point about Mercari is that the fees are drastically lower. There's a lot less headaches I have to deal with selling there too. There's no 30 day returns, buyers have just 3 days to initiate a return.

You should go on the Reddit threads about Mercari.

The sellers there are not happy, either.

It amazes me how people are always looking to find greener grass on the other side of the country lane - without even walking over there and interviewing someone who grazes there.

"Hey, how are things in Mercari-land?"

Those fees get paid by someone.  Ebay, Mercari, Target, Amazon ... they are all in business for one major reason: TO MAKE MONEY.  

Somebody has to pay them.

Ebay collects fees from us - that makes us unhappy.

Mercari collects them from the buyer - that makes buyer unhappy.

I'm not going to say what the sellers there say -- ya'll won't believe me. 

I'm just an Ebay cheerleader after all.

I suggest you do your homework - or pay tuition and learn the hard way.

Message 235 of 298
latest reply

"The country is pretty much going broke and the "collectibles" market is always the first to suffer. "

I'm not sure how accurate that statement is.  The US economy has been improving over the last few years as is evidenced by how low the unemployment rate is.  Or at least that is one of the indicators.

https://usafacts.org/state-of-the-union/economy/

IMHO what confuses this issue and makes many people not feel as if the economy is moving the right directions is the cost of essentials.  Grocery store chains and other merchants simply are not willing to let go of Pandemic prices of things.  That is extremely harmful to many of us and still very hard to deal with financially.

Message 236 of 298
latest reply

@lakefor94 wrote:

One of my sons, millennial, and his wife are purging now. Selling the nice house with a pool in DFW and heading to east Texas, the sticks.....  They both like where we live only they are heading further out, buying some land, might start out there with a travel trailer, lol. 

None of my sons or their wives collect anything that I know of. I remember my wife trying to give away her mother's china. No one in the family could give a hoot about china. Nick-knacks are not overly prevalent.

Ended up giving the china to our gardner and his wife.

We are up to a dog and 4 cats. I suppose we collect cats. Just did add a kitty drinking fountain this week..... 

Screenshot 2024-05-13 162247.jpg

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 237 of 298
latest reply

still no sales this month on my store

Message 238 of 298
latest reply

I applaud you for experimenting.  I think that is an excellent thing to do, even when sometimes the experiment doesn't work out.

Message 239 of 298
latest reply

@keziak wrote:

I applaud you for experimenting.  I think that is an excellent thing to do, even when sometimes the experiment doesn't work out.

Yes! And remember, no experiment is ever a failure, because it yields information.

— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 240 of 298
latest reply