cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay final value fee's are a rip off.....

Final value fee;s are  ridiculous on Ebay... Very upsetting... I will look for other ways to sell anything from now on...very sad...

Message 1 of 166
latest reply
165 REPLIES 165

Re: Ebay final value fee's are a rip off.....

I am ready to move on from this rip off site.  Now they are nixing PayPal and you incur more charges, any item over $750 is automatic 20% charge, are you fuking serious.

fux off eBay!

Message 121 of 166
latest reply

How legal is for Ebay to charge the seller for the tax a buyer has to pay????  I now pay 12.35 of the tax assessment to the buyer as part off my final fees.   This is a rip and may not be legal.  Hoping a tax expert can speak to it.

Message 122 of 166
latest reply

Complete ripoff. Closing account. Took remaining items off and will sell elsewhere. Sold $700 worth of  Autographs and EBAY steals $135. What a crock. I'm done with them!

Message 123 of 166
latest reply

This thread is EIGHT years old.

Do threads in the cafe live forever? Sorry, I rarely come here. I just had to ask.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 124 of 166
latest reply

Ebay has become nothing but thieves stealing every penny they can by justifying that it’s, “Part of the process.” I will be finding other means to do busy online. 

Message 125 of 166
latest reply

After insertion fees, final value fees, final value shipping fees, and PayPal charges, the profit is gone. I should've taken the items to Goodwill and been done with them. Never again for eBay.

Message 126 of 166
latest reply

Last year ebay said that we would save 5 percent by not haveing the paypal fee.. What a lie.

Here is a good one.  I sold a guitar with no returns. Buyer waid it had a problem spo I had to pay return shipping.  I received the guitar in perfect condition as it was when I shipped it. There was no problem with it.  Either the buyer did not want it or found another cheaper. I lost  the cost of shipping both ways wihich was over $100.   I lost the first appeal and appealed again and ebay wants a police report.   There is absolutey no protection for the seller.  Alll I requested was to recover the shipping fees.  So I will sell guitars on reverb.com and locally.  

Message 127 of 166
latest reply

Ebay is a ripoff! Yesterday for the first time I decided to sell something on eBay because I am totally broke. Last week my sister passed away and me and my family had to take all the money we had ...anyway I had one of the banned books so I listed it on ebay. Then eBay ended my auction early because I broke the rules trying to sell a banned book. Then they told me I had to honor the last bid and accept their $65.00 plus shipping. for the book. I paid $175.00 for that banned book and I was hoping to at least make my money back but I lost a lot of money thanks to ebay.  Later I went to check my bank account to see if the money was deposited for the book and my bank account was still empty. Then I got an email from ebay and they said to protect the buyer they put a hold on my money and I did not have any access to it. Then they told me I had to mail the buyer the book and get a tracking number and when I get a tracking number they would give me my money.  So I hurried and went to the post office mailed the book and got the tracking money. Then ebay sent me another message saying that now they will give me my money 24 to 48 hours after the buyer gets the book in the mail! So I called them and told them this was my first time buying and told them the circumstances and that I really needed my money but they did not care.  A while later I got another message from ebay saying they wanted the $20.00 I owed them from the book sale plus another $19.00, I can't remember what fee or what ever they said the $19.00 was for....anyway they said they wanted that money now, immediately....again I told them I had no money at all. So since they want. $39.99 I will be lucky if I get $20 dollars from selling that book.....PLUS they stopped my auction for the banned book early because it is not allowed to be sold on ebay and they told me I had to honor the last buyers bid and let them buy the book  even though they ended the auction early....so I had to accept $65.00 for a book I paid $175.00 for.  This was my first time selling on ebay and this is my last time selling with those crooks.  So thanks to eBay I lost a lot of money on that book and I am still broke because they wont give me my money. I should report them to the Better Business Bureau for this, actually I am going to do it!

Message 128 of 166
latest reply

I agree! They ripped me off so badly! I am going to report them to the better business bureau and any other place I can find! I sold one of the banned Dr Seuss books a few days ago, a book that I paid $125.00 for. I wasn't going to sell it but two weeks ago my youngest sister unexpectedly passed away and me and my family went crazy trying to get the money together for her cremation but were sadly still $500. short. So since I was so broke I decided to go ahead and sell the book. Ebay stopped the auction saying it was against their terms etc BUT then they told me I had to honor the last person who bid on the book and accept their bid of $60.00! So I went ahead and did that. I checked my bank account to see if the money had been deposited but the balance was still at zero. Then I get a message from ebay saying to protect the buyer in order to get my money that ebay had on hold I had to go to the post office and mail the book and get tracking and then give ebay the tracking number and then they would give me my money. So I rushed to the post office and got the tracking number and sent it to ebay. Then ebay messaged me and said that now they would not give me my money until 24 to 48 hours after the buyer got the book! Then later that same day which was two days ago ebay sent me another message saying that i needed to pay them $20.00 for their so called cut on selling the book but then they added other bogus charges and fees for a total of $39.99! I was so upset so I called them and told them I had no money at all and that my sister had just passed away etc but they did not care, they said That I had to pay them that money immediately! So the total they want is$40.00 and I sold the book for $60.00! I have no way to pay them the money they want so now I bet that I will never get the money for the book and if I do i will be lucky if i get the remaining $20. So since I paid $125.00 for the book I am now out all of that money thanks to ebay.  Ebay is a scam and they are so shady! I will never sell again on ebay. This was my first time selling on ebay and my last time. I was so upset because of the death of my sister and then ebay does this to me! Ebay should be banned!

Message 129 of 166
latest reply

Same here! Ebay is a ripoff and a scam and I am done and I filed a complaint at te better business bureau. I dont care if nothing comes of it ... I just hope it will warn others not to sell on ebay and to avoid ebay all together and stick with Amazon...

Message 130 of 166
latest reply

This is insane. I'm so sorry for the loss of your sister, that's the most important thing. I hope you're able to send your sister off no matter what happens. And eBay needs to answer for this because it's just cold and wrong.

Message 131 of 166
latest reply

I've just been using Craigslist again lately and even if I have to travel 100 miles to meet someone, it's still cheaper than using eBay.

I sell a lot of refurbished computers and I keep 100% of the money, no shipping fees. Even if the buyer wants to haggle, it's still far cheaper than eBay and much less hassle.

Message 132 of 166
latest reply

I agree with you... I sold a machine that I had to pay the owner  $6500.00 + $800.00 to Ship.

I Accepted $7,000.00 from my eBay buyer. Once I received the final fee from eBay. I actually was losing money. eBay billed me for $$937.00, You do the math. I contacted my buyer and canceled the sale. eBay seems to think the items listed are fully owned by the eBay seller. Most items don't have a 12% mark up by the seller. Also, being charged 12% of $800.00, for the shipping cost. Most

buyers don't want to pay shipping cost anyway,  When you have to eat $84.00 of a buyers shipping cost. It's hard to make figures balance.

Message 133 of 166
latest reply

Dear Sheepdoer,

I totally agree with you ..........EBAY is charging a "FINAL VALUE FEE" based on the buyers' tax burden and the shipping he pays!!! If the buyer gets insurance on his purchase the seller is even more screwed!! 

I probably think its illegal what they are doing and on top of it all the fee is assessed AFTER the sale is completed, so you get a whopping surprise when your about to collect any monies from the sale. 

Hey EBAY ! whats the story???

Regds,
hkb2043

Message 134 of 166
latest reply

Ebay wanted my feedback on my first sale, but I could not leave my feedback because I went over the letter count so this is what would have been my feedback to Ebay:  For years since eBay first started up until last week I was just a buyer and I have never sold anything. But out of desperation I needed money badly because my youngest sister had lost her battle with cancer and me and other family members had to scrape up money so she could be cremated and we were still $500.00 short....So I decided to sell something that I myself paid $40.00 for and I sold it for $60.00 plus $10.00 for shipping. After eBay took "their cut" "my cut" was $45.00! I only made five dollars! Five dollars! All of the "big wigs" at eBay are making a fortune when eBay sellers are hardly making a profit and some make no profit at all. By reaching out to the eBay community there are A LOT of buyers who are not happy and are very upset with eBay! So at this point the only ones who benefit and make a load of cash is eBay! This was my first time selling and it is my last time selling. Then right after my item sold eBay asked me for a payment of I think it was $35.00 for ridiculous charges, I can't remember what the charges were but I was so upset when I got the message from eBay asking for that money! So I got $45.00 bucks from my so called scall and then eBay demanded 35 bucks that I did not have and said they wanted it immediately. I did not even have a dollar to my name since we had just buried my sister! So the $45.00 I made on eBay with eBay wanting the $35.00 would mean that out of the $45.00 I made on my sale means in reality I only would have gotten 10 bucks from my sale is I had paid eBay that $35.00. But like I said I cant remember what ebay said it was for. Then on top of that after all that I have been through I get a message from eBay stating that they had my money on hold and that I needed to mail the buyer the item immediately and get a tracking number and as soon as I gave ebay the tracking number then they would give me the money .... so I rushed straight away to the post office and did what I was told and I mailed the package, got tracking and then gave eBay the track number. THEN after I did what I was told to do I get another message from eBay saying that now they are keeping my money on hold and I will get my money 24 to 48 hours after the buyer got the item delivered! I will never sell on eBay again! I am going to try for Etsy! Plus I found out through the ebay community that I was and am not alone! There are so MANY sellers right now that got ripped off to by eBay, so many that its ridiculous! If this keeps up pretty soon the number of sellers on ebay is going to dwindle right down and maybe even in the near future fizzle out all together and then how will ebay scam, oops I mean make money? What will they start doing taking money from the buyers too! Plain and simple ebay has gotten greedy and it will be ebays downfall because more and more people are getting fed up, just go check out all of the unhappy sellers in the community. Ebay used to be awesome and ebay used to have integrity where sellers could actually make some money ....especially now during the covid crisis. What happened to ebay? I loved ebay so much that I stopped buying on Amazon and Etsy and for many many years bought everything from ebay....the last one to leave ebay please shut off the lights...Well Ima outta here....here is your valued feedback you asked for! Too bad you did not value your sellers....have a nice day!

Message 135 of 166
latest reply