cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, November 24 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Re: Community Chat, November 24 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

At what point will we be able to stop using the "Authorization" to access the Boards?  And why is it necessary?

Hey @my-cottage-books-and-antiques! I don't have a timeframe to provide but Sheila posted about it here if you'd like more info in the meantime. Keep an eye on that board as she's been sharing things there throughout this whole ordeal. Thanks!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 46 of 53
latest reply

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Thanks for joining the chat this week! It's close from further comments but we will continue to work through to make sure that questions receive a reply. 

Thanks again and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 47 of 53
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@a_c_green wrote:

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@eleanor*rigby wrote:

Could someone please review this post and review the "Offering local pickup" policy, paying particular attention to the statement, "If you don't want to use the app, ask the buyer to sign a copy of the eBay order form at the time of pickup" and explain what went wrong in this transaction?

Hi @eleanor*rigby it looks like there was a payment dispute filed, when that's the case it's based on whatever the card issuer is asking for not eBay's policy. If there was an eBay case opened we could step in and use the info we have, but a dispute is handled differently. 

I think we might be missing the focus of the question. Not speaking for @eleanor*rigby here, but I think the point of the question was that eBay did request the proof of pickup, which the OP had obtained per eBay's own instructions (here), then promptly rejected the exact evidence that had been requested. ("[U]nfortunately we would not be able to appeal this case with the signed eBay order form you provided as we are unable to verify if this was signed by the buyer.")

Not only is the seller not being helped by eBay in this dispute, but also eBay is being inconsistent in their own responses to their own requests of the seller. Something needs to be straightened out here.

@a_c_green The signed order or even tracking showing delivery wouldn't matter. When a dispute is opened it's out of our hands and we can't take any action it's all through the cardholder and what they are asking for. If there was an eBay case opened for Item Not Received we can review the proofs we ask for, but this wasn't an eBay case. The buyer went directly to their card company for this, we can help provide the info we have but we can't force them to use those proofs. 

Hmm sound like there be no seller protection with payment disputes.

So were is the option to not receive CC for the seller??

I do see some liability for eBay in al of this. Just saying.

@donsdetour I'm not sure I understand, do you mean the seller asking for cash instead of CC? When listed as local pickup that is something they can work out with the buyer for sure. When a buyer opens a dispute we will give the seller the option to respond on their behalf and submit proofs needed, but ultimately its the cardholders decision on what they do. 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 48 of 53
latest reply

@stuff4divas wrote:

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@stuff4divas wrote:

Hello,

I addressed this a few weeks ago but rec'd no answer.

When I click on 'edit reply' for community posts, it will not allow me to edit, even tho the button is blue (dark mode).

I am on a desktop Mac, Safari, and have had no problems for years with this, started about a month or so ago.

Thank you.

@stuff4divas sorry to hear you're still having problems, does it give you an error message at all or what happens specifically? If you try it in an incognito browser does it do the same thing? 

Nope, doesn't work on Mac's 'private browsing' either 😐

Thanks for trying, I'll pass it along for sure. We don't have any other reports of this happening so it may be hard to pin point. In the meantime can you try a different browser, maybe Chrome will be different! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 49 of 53
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

jasmen@ebay wrote:
@a_c_green The signed order or even tracking showing delivery wouldn't matter. When a dispute is opened it's out of our hands and we can't take any action it's all through the cardholder and what they are asking for. If there was an eBay case opened for Item Not Received we can review the proofs we ask for, but this wasn't an eBay case. The buyer went directly to their card company for this, we can help provide the info we have but we can't force them to use those proofs. 

Right, I understand that, but I would suggest that you read the sequence of events that the OP described (here), because the issue they are describing is that eBay refused to accept the specific evidence that (1) they had requested, and (2) appeared to be what the credit-card issuer was indeed looking for. Because eBay refused to accept the signed order form, it obviously would not have been passed on to the outfit that had requested it.

This additional quote from the Customer Service rep seems especially ironic: "To further escalate the appeal, I would request you to please reply to this email with the signed eBay order form. Once this is received, we'll quickly get working on this and make sure that you are not at loss even after successfully fulfilling the transaction."

Hopefully the seller can at least be made whole with a courtesy refund after all this, and the Customer Service people can get a bid of coaching about not rejecting the very evidence that was requested.

@a_c_green there may be a coaching opportunity here for sure, but there's no reason for us to "refuse" anything as we give the seller the option to upload their own documents to disputes. I can't go into the specifics of the case, but with a dispute it's up to the card company. 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 50 of 53
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@a_c_green wrote:

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@eleanor*rigby wrote:

Could someone please review this post and review the "Offering local pickup" policy, paying particular attention to the statement, "If you don't want to use the app, ask the buyer to sign a copy of the eBay order form at the time of pickup" and explain what went wrong in this transaction?

Hi @eleanor*rigby it looks like there was a payment dispute filed, when that's the case it's based on whatever the card issuer is asking for not eBay's policy. If there was an eBay case opened we could step in and use the info we have, but a dispute is handled differently. 

I think we might be missing the focus of the question. Not speaking for @eleanor*rigby here, but I think the point of the question was that eBay did request the proof of pickup, which the OP had obtained per eBay's own instructions (here), then promptly rejected the exact evidence that had been requested. ("[U]nfortunately we would not be able to appeal this case with the signed eBay order form you provided as we are unable to verify if this was signed by the buyer.")

Not only is the seller not being helped by eBay in this dispute, but also eBay is being inconsistent in their own responses to their own requests of the seller. Something needs to be straightened out here.

jasmen@ebay  the seller protection page says differently  https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/payment-dispute-seller-protections?id=5293 

Protections, eligibility requirements and exclusions

Payment dispute seller protections apply when the buyer opens a payment dispute for one of the following reasons:

• They didn't receive the item
  • They don't recognize the transaction or have an issue with the transaction
  • The item they received doesn't match the listing

For a seller to be eligible for payment dispute seller protections:

• The transaction must meet the requirements specified in this policy
  • The seller must respond to the payment dispute and take action within the required time frames
  • If challenging the payment dispute, the seller must provide the required evidence
  • The seller may not be in violation of the User Agreement

Eligible scenarios and excluded transactions

Eligible scenarios

Evidence of successful pickup
For In-store pickup items, the identity of the person collecting the item must be validated with a photo ID. The seller must provide evidence that includes all of the following:

• Order ID number
  • Item number
  • Item title
  • Amount paid
  • Date of collection
  • Buyer's signature confirming collection
  • Address of pickup store or location

For items that are collected directly from the seller, evidence that the buyer has received the item may include:

• A copy of the eBay order details, signed by the buyer at the time of collection, or
  • The seller used the eBay app to scan the buyer's QR code or manually entered the buyer's 6-digit pickup code at the time of collection

@valueaddedresource The help page is correct, it sounds like we're on the same page. The seller has the option to upload the supporting documents on the eBay side for the dispute, and based on that info the card company will make a decision. From there, once the decision is made, if the seller is eligible to seller protections related to the dispute then we will look into those options at that time. I can't go into any account specifics, or what happened here, but the OP will need to work with the payments team directly. 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 51 of 53
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

tyler@ebay 

I just set up a Markdown Manager Sale in my store. To call attention to it, I've used the "On Sale" row, and I used the "Banner" feature which allows me to say I'm running the sale, but the link currently must go to an individual item or a category. I used an individual item, with the hope that the buyer will notice the link on the item page to my actual Sale Page (not all my items are on sale, so the sale page is the only place where the buyer can see all the items on sale).

We were originally told , or at least it was my understanding, that the new store banner would allow us to have a direct link to our Sale page. That ability still does not exist, which is why I am stuck using a not entirely satisfactory workaround for Black Friday weekend.  We were also told that the ability for a direct link was "delayed".

Could you check to see if this is still being worked on, or has ebay abandoned this very important feature (one many of us have been requesting, quite literally, for many years). If it IS being worked on, can we get some sort of time frame from the stores team, something a little more definite than "in the coming months"?

And, Happy Thanksgiving!

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques! This sounded familiar and then I remembered that you'd asked about it here. I reached back out and while they've assured me it's still on their radar for release in the near future (it should be launched, soon), I don't have a specific timeframe to provide.

I hope you have a very happy Thanksgiving too! 😊 

P.S. Don't eat too much. I know I'm going to though! 😉

Velvet,
eBay
Message 52 of 53
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@postcardcountry wrote:

Second question -

Where can I find eBay's definition of a Topographical Postcard and a non-Topographical Postcard? 

When reviewing the category my items have been assigned to, it doesn't seem to make sense.  Neither of these terms are United States postcard terms.  The UK sources I have found describe somewhat "Topographical" but then say if it isn't that it belongs under "subject".

Hi @postcardcountry - I don't have a definition of those for you, but I'm happy to check with the categorization team to see if there is a meaningfully different definition that we are using when it comes to the terms 'Topographical' and 'Non-Topographical'.

I'll update you as I hear back!

Hi @postcardcountry - I heard back on this one!

Topographical: Topographical postcards are those that show general views or street scenes, rather than particular subjects such as trains or horses. Some collectors call them “Topo”.

Non Topographical: Those postcards that show a particular theme or subject, rather than general views or street scenes. Some collectors also call them “topical”.

In terms of Item Specifics, depending on the category the seller will be asked to provide Countries and Cities or Subjects and Themes with more or less relevance.

In case you need to share some resources with the seller, these might be useful:

https://postcard.co.uk/beginners_7.php

https://www.vintagepostcards.com/postcards-vintage/topographical-views/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postcard

Tyler,
eBay
Message 53 of 53
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: