cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, May 4 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Community Chat, May 4 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

@mi-294 wrote:

At the upcoming update starting from June 1st, which ebay is taking full control of the PL,

1. That also apply for items that are not Promoted by the seller?

For example if a seller is having 200 listings and is promoting 20 items, ebay will have control to change things for the total of 200 listings or just for the 20 promoted?

2. Ebay will be able to adjust shipping at the PLs?

3. Ebay will be able to change the add rate at the PLs, i think yes, but is where is the roof?

For example if the add rate is 3% ebay can take that rate to 10%?

4. Ebay will be able to send Best Offers on PLs to buyers without asking the seller, i think yes, but where is the roof?

For example a 50% Best Offer plus fees will destroy any chance for profit for most of the sellers.

4. If a seller opt-in to PL after June 1st, will be able to opt-out?

There are many gray areas at the update and we need some answers so we can prepare better.

Thank you.

jasmen@ebay  velvet@ebay  - before the chat closes....this is an excellent example of why that sticky topic *needs* to happen ASAP!

If it "can't" be done, I'd have to seriously wonder why eBay is so reluctant to communicate on this issue.

Message 31 of 38
latest reply

@mi-294 wrote:

At the upcoming update starting from June 1st, which ebay is taking full control of the PL,

1. That also apply for items that are not Promoted by the seller?

For example if a seller is having 200 listings and is promoting 20 items, ebay will have control to change things for the total of 200 listings or just for the 20 promoted?

2. Ebay will be able to adjust shipping at the PLs?

3. Ebay will be able to change the add rate at the PLs, i think yes, but is where is the roof?

For example if the add rate is 3% ebay can take that rate to 10%?

4. Ebay will be able to send Best Offers on PLs to buyers without asking the seller, i think yes, but where is the roof?

For example a 50% Best Offer plus fees will destroy any chance for profit for most of the sellers.

4. If a seller opt-in to PL after June 1st, will be able to opt-out?

There are many gray areas at the update and we need some answers so we can prepare better.

Thank you.

Hey @mi-294 there's been a few threads on this and the team came back with an answer, you can see it here. If you have any other questions feel free to reach out on that thread. Thanks! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 32 of 38
latest reply

Who can afford the alternative - QuickBooks Online? And does it fully capture revenue and expenses?

Message 33 of 38
latest reply

Thanks for joining the weekly chat - it is now closed from further replies but we will continue to work through to ensure that questions receive a response.

Velvet,
eBay
Message 34 of 38
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote:

I see adsteam@ebay  had time to stop by and make a post promoting their latest blog with tips for optimizing keyword strategies, but hasn't had time to create a sticky post with the additional information/clarification about the marketing terms update that velvet@ebay  shared earlier today.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/You-lose-all-control-over-your-Promoted-Listings-to-Ebay-in-Ju...

While I appreciate Velvet's answer, odds are it's going to get lost as post 99 out of 100+....any chance we can get it posted separately as a sticky topic in the appropriate place too?

We appreciate your feedback @valueaddedresource, we're looking into whether or not this is something that can be done. Thanks! 

jasmen@ebay  - can you clarify that please? If this is something that can be done? What does that mean?

eBay staff clearly as the *technical* ability to put up announcements in the community and make them sticky so yes - it *can* be done.

If you mean *may* be done, does that mean you have to get special permission to do it and if so, why would that be different than the post velvet@ebay  already made?

We just heard back that it was accepted as a solution, please take a look when you have a moment. Any other feedback you have please continue to work with Velvet on that post, thanks! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 35 of 38
latest reply

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

Any progress on the how eBay implementation of German packaging regulations impact sellers on eBay.com or eBay.de?

Hey @clarkphilatelics no new updates, thanks! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 36 of 38
latest reply

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

Any progress on the how eBay implementation of German packaging regulations impact sellers on eBay.com or eBay.de?

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

If you go to this thread @clarkphilatelics the German Packing Act was discussed thoroughly. I will also link here, here, and here where I provided details about how it will affect sellers. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 37 of 38
latest reply

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

Now that the monthly eBay Financial Statement begins and ends on month boundaries, I paid attention to it for the first time. How does the statement relate to the eBay 1099-K? I did not see any way to determine gross sales from the report. How do sellers reconcile income and expenses with the 1099-K without downloading the complete Payout reports? How many sellers are capable of creating an Excell spreadsheet that accurately captures revenue and categorizes expenses? My guess - not many.

Hi @clarkphilatelics! The 1099-K detailed report is not necessarily meant for reconciliation. It just provides a detailed breakdown of all unadjusted gross payment transactions on your Form 1099-K. The best way to reconcile your finances is by using the various reporting options we provide to you. More about that can be seen here. For example, your gross sales can be found in the transaction report. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 38 of 38
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: