cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, May 26 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

Re: Community Chat, May 26 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

Upcoming changes to VAT regulations in Europe – How will eBay sellers be impacted?

Excerpts from an eBay email received yesterday:

“Starting July 1, eBay will be required to collect and remit VAT on orders up to a value of €150 imported into the EU and sold to consumers. There will no longer be a VAT exemption for small shipments up to €22. For shipments over €150, the buyer will be charged VAT following arrival of the goods in the country of delivery.”

Share IOSS number for EU imports: In cases where eBay has collected VAT on your shipment into the EU (up to a value of €150), always electronically provide to your carrier the Import One-Stop Shop (IOSS) number provided by eBay. Otherwise, your buyers may have to pay VAT again on delivery.

UPU First Class Mail International regulations prohibit Merchandise:

Abut three years ago UPU regulations were changed: “Letters and flats must contain only documents and cannot contain any other goods.”

What happens to sellers of inexpensive lightweight items?

Sellers of lower cost lightweight items will no longer be able to ship items like postage stamps, postcards, trading cards, photographs, or color slides “under the radar” by First Class Mail International. If the IOSS number is required on the outside of the envelope, will a customs form also be required? If so, how will sellers ship a five-dollar item? How can sellers survive if the cost of postage jumps from under $1.50 to more than ten dollars?

What can eBay do to help sellers?

The double whammy of no €22 VAT exemption and an eight-fold postage increase not snuff out international sales of lower priced items? Where was eBay when the UPU changed First Class Mail International regulations?

@clarkphilatelics I'm not sure on this, so we're going to look into this and get back to you. Thanks!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 16 of 63
latest reply

I just put gibberish in when an IS is required that doesn't make sense or can't be answered.  Until eBay starts paying sellers to maintain their site I fail to see why we should bear the burden of their inability to set things up properly.

Message 17 of 63
latest reply

A couple weeks ago someone brought up issues with the feedback pop up window. As there are several issues, I wanted to post screenshots for you to escalate. I have used the comments link on the orders page, but we cannot submit screenshots that way.

Issue 1-

Leave feedback for order A. Then go to leave feedback for order B and run into problems. One is that the system tells you feedback was already left for order B when it wasn't-

feedback2.png

Another issue is that order B will populate the feedback option, but the leave feedback button is grayed out-

feedback1.png

The only way I have found to avoid this is to let more time pass before you try to leave feedback for a second order- but that's not a good solution because it doubles or triples the time it would normally take to leave feedback.

Issue 2-

Feedback windows often appear in Chinese or German-

feedback3.png

Issue 3-

When you type a custom comment instead of using a stored comment, you cannot submit the feedback until you click outside the comment box. If you don't click outside the comment box when you're done typing then the submit feedback button will remain grayed out. It's a nuisance.

feedback4.png

Issue 4-

You cannot select multiple orders and leave custom comments for each one in bulk. Again- this makes the process take much longer.

Issue 5-

After you submit feedback, the orders page you were on goes back up to the top- losing your place on the page. Yet another nuisance that makes the process take longer.

While not related to feedback, this is an issue related to the pop-ups eBay is implementing across Seller Hub so I'm including it in this post. Pop-ups were recently added to the process of ending listings. Just like the feedback issue, after you end a listing and the pop-up window closes, the active listings page you were on goes back up to the top- losing your place on the page.

Again, while this is not related to feedback, it is related to an issue with the feedback pop-ups mentioned above. The alternate language issue appears intermittently in other areas across the site including the sign-on screen, tracking pop ups, and more. As you can see below- this is on the .com site.

tracking1.png

-----

Edit: a reply to your comments can be found here

Message 18 of 63
latest reply

I usually include in the listing title one book title (and its author if there's room) that I hope will attract the most attention, and repeat that title and its author in the Item Specifics.

'Course, that really defeats the supposed purpose of Item Specifics, but what can we do, since those fields are required.

Message 19 of 63
latest reply

@c.b. wrote:

I have concern about an ebay charge on our bank account that ebay c/s cannot see where  it came from ebay... but my bank is showing originated from ebay.  It is reported to the bank, and the bank is investigating, but whether it has to do with ebay or not, there could be something going on that should be reported to someone at ebay immediately.  it may be explained... but, just in case, who can i alert so someone can get a jump on it if necessary?

@c.b. This is a tough situation because if we don't have a matching charge showing in your eBay account and it's only appearing in your bank account, we're not going to be able to tell where the charge came from without more information that is in eBay's system.

It sounds like you're already taking the correct steps in reporting the charge to your bank and contacting customer service. If you need more information from your eBay account going forward, continuing to work with customer service would be your best bet. I hope that everything gets resolved. 

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 20 of 63
latest reply

@

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

One of the most effective ways to sell books on ebay is to lot them together...sometimes by author, sometimes by genre, even the color of the bindings. Now, with the new item specifics, ebay requires "title" and "author", but obviously when selling a lot I have multiple titles and sometimes multiple authors.  It has been suggested that we use "Custom bundle" as an item specific, which then provides a certain number of characters to describe the lot But this does not really answer the question:  what do we put in the Title and Author item specific? They are required, so we can't simply ignore them and use Custom Bundle. 

And I guess as an additional question: Could the IS team modify this in some way, to take into consideration the needs of lot sellers (and buyers). 

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques - This is great feedback and I would recommend sending it directly to the item specifics team at sdsupport@ebay.com so they can look at this in more detail. 

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 21 of 63
latest reply

brittanie@ebay wrote:

@bowens wrote:

is there any activity on the current packing slip format? It hasn't been a good change for me.

@bowens - I'm sorry to hear that that is the case. What in particular did you want to submit feedback on for the new packing slips? That team has been working hard on improvements and I'd be happy to get that to them.

I was looking at packing slips a couple days ago and the one issue that stood out to me is that when you include a comment on the slip, it posts the registered name on the account. We should have the option to change that to our eBay ID- or the name of a customer service rep within our company.

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 22 of 63
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:

When is eBay going to start paying us to troubleshoot and maintain your site?  Seeing several new required IS that are just downright stupid.  If you aren't willing to pay competent people to set them up properly maybe just don't change them at all?

@gwzcomps there's been no announced changes to compensation for reporting suggestions / issues with item specifics to sdsupport@ebay.com

Brian,
Community Team
Message 23 of 63
latest reply

Has there been any progress creating eBay Standard Envelope labels that can be printed directly on standard size 6 3/4 envelopes (6 1/2" x 3 5/8")? Currently these labels have to be manipulated in photo-editing programs to crop and scale them in order to properly fit on standard 6 3/4 envelopes.  It seems like the labels are generated in a 6" x 4" inch format and not to fit the size of actual standard sized envelopes.

_____

Edit: Reply to this post can be read here

Message 24 of 63
latest reply

Just a follow-up in regard to Concierge premium service for sellers.  I had inquired a month ago and was encouraged to contact Customer support to find out why my account was removed from Concierge level of service that I had received for the past several years.

While I understand that eBay staff monitoring this chat have reported that Concierge service is not going away... I've gotten the exact opposite answer from Customer Support.  In fact, I was told that all previously approved Concierge participants would receive a notice (via email and eBay messege) two weeks ago as to the upcoming changes as the existing program is phased out (and that mine was among the first wave of accounts impacted).  Bottom line:  there was no  later communication about the problem; just silence.

My most significant frustration has been that even after a half dozen attempts to work with Customer Support on my question... absolutely no one could tell me why my Concierge service was deactivated over a month ago.  They tell me there's not a problem with my account... that my service record is outstanding... and that I should still qualify for the program.  However, after several promises of reporting the matter to "the back office" (and other vague references to eBay's Concierge managers)... I still have no information as to what happened.

Isn't there something that we can do to facilitate some kind of communication in this regard.  If there's  a problem... I want to understand it... and take steps to correct it.  I'll sure be grateful for the input...

-----

Edit: a reply to your question can be found here

Message 25 of 63
latest reply

Did anyone review the item specifics being created and before they were added to the software?

Does anyone review the data that has been used to establish those item specifics? 

Some of the humorous ones I have seen:

Napkin rings - sex   /  choice of male or female.     Could you get the IS team to provide a picture?

Shoes - activity - typing         

Food container - made of -  cashmere   linen  polyester  alpaca wool

_____

Message 26 of 63
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@gwzcomps wrote:

When is eBay going to start paying us to troubleshoot and maintain your site?  Seeing several new required IS that are just downright stupid.  If you aren't willing to pay competent people to set them up properly maybe just don't change them at all?

@gwzcomps there's been no announced changes to compensation for reporting suggestions / issues with item specifics to sdsupport@ebay.com

Then let me know how to contact your billing department.  I'm not fixing your site if I am not getting reimbursed.  In the meantime I just won't use your system as intended if it isn't gonna work properly.

Message 27 of 63
latest reply

brittanie@ebay   I guess I was kind of hoping you would ask them for their suggestion? They set it up, I assume they know what they want us to put in there when we have more than one book and/or author. 

_____

Message 28 of 63
latest reply

@bowens wrote:

I can no longer print on a half sheet of paper. The labels I use have an adhesive label for the shipping on one half, and a blank sheet on the other half for the packing slip.

@bowens Thank you for clarifying! I don't have an update on that, but I will reach out to the shipping team to pass along this feedback and see if they have any further information.

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 29 of 63
latest reply

Last week there was an issue with printing packing slips.  There were at least two, probably three separate threads on the technical board reporting the problem.   The problem existed longer than 48 hours and was impacting multiple sellers.

there was no response on the technical board at all to let anyone know the status. 

If the board does not get read by technical staff, how do we report not just the problem, but the continuation of the over several days?

By chance, I think I discovered what was causing the problem...a programming change that apparently wasn't well implemented.

But it would have been nice to have our problems acknowledged.

(error message telling us to try again later)

_____

Edit: Reply to this post can be read here

Message 30 of 63
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: