cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, May 26 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

I'm concerned about all the sellers posting that are in MP holding up their shipments until money is actually in their bank account.  Unsure if they have changed their handling times or not, but if this is very widespread it may hurt sales for all sellers.   I guess it isn't a question, but I hope it isn't as many as it looks sometimes.   I also wonder how sellers get their money if they refuse to give their bank accounts and didn't end their listings?  Some say they can't get the money now and are not going to join managed payments.

_____

Edit: Reply to this post can be read here

Message 46 of 63
latest reply

ac green, Thanks for the suggestion, but IS serve 2 purposes....one is for the buyer to read while looking at the listing. The other is for ebay's search engine to find what I'm selling in the first place. Your suggestion is fine for the first purpose, but if the buyer is looking for books by Ellery Queen and I have some in my lot, I'm not sure saying "mixed Authors" provides much guidance for the search engine.  

For smaller lots, I've been adding custom titles/authors, Title 1, Title 2, Title 3, etc, but I do not know to what extent the search engine actually looks at custom titles we create. It would help if the IS team provided a bit more detail about just how the search engine uses IS.

Message 47 of 63
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

I'm concerned about all the sellers posting that are in MP holding up their shipments until money is actually in their bank account.  Unsure if they have changed their handling times or not, but if this is very widespread it may hurt sales for all sellers.   I guess it isn't a question, but I hope it isn't as many as it looks sometimes.   I also wonder how sellers get their money if they refuse to give their bank accounts and didn't end their listings?  Some say they can't get the money now and are not going to join managed payments.

I'll echo that.

Those sellers will get their money eventually- it will go into their state's unclaimed fund so they can go to missingmoney.com to claim it. I don't know how long the process takes for it to show up there- I expect at least a few months.

Message 48 of 63
latest reply

MP is miserable, but has worked so far.  Just make a new account to stop them from stealing from you if they get greedy.

Message 49 of 63
latest reply

It states "We are looking into other options to make direct printing onto envelopes easier." I'm wondering if they are getting closer to a solution. I, as many others, would use eBay Standard Envelope 100% of the time if it were simpler and faster to use. However with all of the current editing and manipulation required, I can only afford to use it on select items instead of all of them. It's a great resource that could be far better if it were more user friendly. Hopefully they see the value in continuing to work on this.

_____

Edit: Reply to this post can be read here

Message 50 of 63
latest reply

@vaydragon wrote:

Who wants to wait 2 days to get paid? Nobody!!! especially when you're expecting people to ship something out without being paid which is ridiculous

You don't have to front the money at all. Just set your Shipping form to draw the postage from the buyer's pending funds (and you will find the setting for that at the lower left corner of the Shipping form).

The funds themselves are not "pending;" it's the transfer to your bank that's pending. eBay already has the buyer's payment, which is why you can use a portion of it to purchase the shipping on-line.

Message 51 of 63
latest reply

It is mostly smaller sellers that will quit selling here I am guessing.  My guess is eBay isn't concerned about sellers that do under a million in sales annually.  I personally am keeping my handling at 5 days because I still don't trust eBay to process payments.  Especially when there is no real oversight.

Message 52 of 63
latest reply

@brittanie@ebay It isn't adequate for my needs because it didn't answer the question. The question isn't: "Should I use custom bundle?" I'm fine with using custom bundle. But that's not an answer to this question: "Exactly what do you want me to put in the REQUIRED title and author IS?"  It's a simple question and it has NOT been answered.

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 53 of 63
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@a_c_green wrote:

@postcardcountry wrote:

Napkin rings - sex   /  choice of male or female.     Could you get the IS team to provide a picture?

Napkins are male. Napkin rings are female. Please don't ask me to explain further.

Not in French, so that would create a big problem on eBay Canada (French) and eBay France. Possibly eBay Belgium as well.

EnglishFrenchPronoun/PrenomGender
the napkinla serviettela =female
the napkin ringle rond de serviettele =male

I am impressed eBay would know of such a niche possibility, but still can't setup IS correctly in general.

Message 54 of 63
latest reply

@postcardcountry wrote:

Did anyone review the item specifics being created and before they were added to the software?

Does anyone review the data that has been used to establish those item specifics? 

Some of the humorous ones I have seen:

Napkin rings - sex   /  choice of male or female.     Could you get the IS team to provide a picture?

Shoes - activity - typing         

Food container - made of -  cashmere   linen  polyester  alpaca wool

@postcardcountry - Oh yeah those doesn't seem super applicable.

Our structured data team works on this information and it's a lot to manage as you can imagine.

If you are running into item specifics that are in the wrong category or seem to be mismatched while you're trying to list, I highly recommend reporting this directly to this team sdsupport@ebay.com so they can review and possibly make improvements. 

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 55 of 63
latest reply

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Thanks for joining the chat this week. It's now closed from further replies but we will keep working through to make sure that questions are addressed!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 56 of 63
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

@fern*wood I don't believe it's a widespread sentiment among sellers to withhold shipping until the payout reaches their bank account. We have passed feedback about this to the payments team though, and will continue to do so when we see it pop up on Community.

I'm not sure about your second question, honestly. It'd be best for sellers that are in the circumstance to contact payments customer support for more information.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 57 of 63
latest reply

@randomsl wrote:

It states "We are looking into other options to make direct printing onto envelopes easier." I'm wondering if they are getting closer to a solution. I, as many others, would use eBay Standard Envelope 100% of the time if it were simpler and faster to use. However with all of the current editing and manipulation required, I can only afford to use it on select items instead of all of them. It's a great resource that could be far better if it were more user friendly. Hopefully they see the value in continuing to work on this.

@randomsl I haven't seen any updates from the shipping team on this, but it's at least good to know they're working on it. Hopefully it's not to far off though!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 58 of 63
latest reply

@c.b. wrote:

- yes, i am already working with the bank.   umm... you didn't understand the big picture i was trying to convey -- that my question was NOT about me...  i am concerned about something else going on that may need to be reported to ebay and investigated ASAP!  i don't like giving too much info here publicly, but since i didn't get across the urgency in my initial post, i will add a few more details to stress the importance of communicating this to someone at ebay.  the bank account where the money showed up, has NEVER been linked to ebay until THE DAY that charge appeared. i know there are multiple things that can trigger odd entries and reports.  however, this one has some very specific and concerning attributes that i believe needs to be reported to ebay.   would you rather i report it, and it's nothing... or would you rather i not report it, and are sorry you didn't get the info sooner?

@c.b. - I understand your concerns and I'm happy to personally take a look into this to see what further info I can find. I'll reach out to you soon by email to get further details from you.

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 59 of 63
latest reply

@vaydragon wrote:

Since ebay is forcing sellers to give up their banking info i will no longer be selling on ebay. Paypal was easy to use and ebay shouldnt be forcing sellers to use a less secure money to get paid. I've been selling with ebay for almost 20 years and sadly it has to end like this because of ebay's greed. Who wants to wait 2 days to get paid? Nobody!!! especially when you're expecting people to ship something out without being paid which is ridiculous

@vaydragon - We'd hate to see you leave eBay. 

For eBay to manage your payments, we require you to provide certain information about you or your business as described in the Payments Terms of Use. This includes bank account information such as your routing number and account number. eBay protects your personal data through technical and organizational security measures to minimize risks associated with data loss, misuse, unauthorized access and unauthorized disclosure and alteration. 

To this end we use firewalls and data encryption, for example, as well as physical access restrictions for our data centers and authorization controls for data access. For further information on the type of data eBay may collect, process, or share, please refer to the User Privacy Notice. You can find further information about eBay’s data security procedures in our Security Center.

@a_c_green gives some great information on the processing time of payments here for more context

We do hope that you'll stay with eBay, but ultimately, you should do what is best for your business. 

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 60 of 63
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: