cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, March 9 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: Community Chat, March 9 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

@saturdaystoys wrote:

Here is the screen I get when printing postage.  I see no option for shipping via "envelope" rather than by "package" (as shown).  Also no option for entering fractions.

ebay standard.JPG

Also... this is the envelope I've been using in the postcard category... and it has worked perfectly.  I had understood this to be the envelope that should be used... as it's only 1/16" thick, as shown:

IMG_4052.JPGIMG_4053.JPG

Granted, while I have many years of experience on eBay... I'm new re: use of the eBay Standard Envelope.

See anything specific that I have gotten wrong?  Thanks much.

Hmmm, I'm going to reach out to the shipping team to see what I can find out @saturdaystoys

-----

Edit: A follow-up to this post can be found here

Velvet,
eBay
Message 61 of 68
latest reply

@tsme35 wrote:

Sorry don't know how to send to you but there's been a few complaints

Unfortunately I'm not able to view these emails as they go to your personal email account @tsme35. You can run a search on how to take a screen shot per the device/browser you're using if you aren't sure how. You could then start a new thread in the Share eBay Technical Issues board and make sure to tag me so I'm aware of it. From there I can pass the examples on.

I'm also tagging @saturdaystoys here, since they mentioned experiencing the same thing. The more examples I can provide, the better.

Velvet,
eBay
Message 62 of 68
latest reply

@tsme35 wrote:

Also what has ebay said about USPS only scanning 5 random packages when they pick up, that could seriously hit my service metrics

We've heard about this from others @tsme35 and we reached out to the shipping team. They let us know that they're currently working with the USPS to get clarity but we've not had any follow-up since then. 

-----

Edit: We heard back @tsme35 and Jasmen updated a thread about it here

Velvet,
eBay
Message 63 of 68
latest reply

@clarkphilatelics wrote:

Auctions entered this week will end an hour later than expected because of the transition to Daylight Savings Time. Can eBay fix this?

Hi @clarkphilatelics - I haven't heard that there is a plan to adjust auction ending times in line with DST, but if I learn otherwise I will update you here. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 64 of 68
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

Questions for the Shipping Team about thiis USPS change coming April 3rd:

"NEW: Starting in April 2022, there will be a $1.50 fee for packages that are greater than one cubic foot or have a box length greater than 22 inches if the customer did not provide dimensions or provided inaccurate dimensions inside an online postage provider (e.g. Stamps.com). This will apply to Priority Mail Express, Priority Mail and Parcel Select Ground."

Just trying to make sure I understand this:

(Assume I use ebay shipping labels)

This extra $1.50 is more of a penalty than a fee, is that correct?

And it is NOT something ebay will add to calculated shipping, because the PO won't assess this until the package is actually mailed?

If I'm reading this correctly:

This ONLY applies to Priority Mail Express, Priority Mail and Parcel Select Ground.

It ONLY applies if I use an online postage provider (I would assume that would include ebay)

It ONLY applies to packages that are greater than :

one cubic foot
OR
with a box length greater than 22"

and most importantly---

It ONLY applies IF I failed to provide dimensions when printing the label, or IF I provided dimensions that the PO determines were inaccurate.

And if all that is correct, here's a scenario:

I mail a Priority Mail package that is larger than 1 cubic foot (let's say dimensions are actually14" x 14" x 14"), but when printing the label I erroneously provide dimensions of 12" x 12" x 12".

The USPS will charge me --through ebay---with the Postage Due (since the amount I paid for the label will be less than the dim weight due to the incorrect dimensions) AND will charge me the new $1.50 fee as well? Is that correct?

And, if everything I've said so far is correct, that means this $1.50 fee can be avoided simply by making sure I always provide correct dimensions when printing my ebay label?

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques! I'll be sure to pass this on to the shipping team and will follow-up with anything they provide me. 

Hello @my-cottage-books-and-antiques! The shipping team has said there will be an announcement shortly about the upcoming April 3rd changes but they're still awaiting some clarification with USPS before that can happen. In the meantime, they said you are pretty much correct on all accounts and that I could provide the below info to you:

1. With regard to the new $1.50 fee for packages greater than one cubic foot (1728 cubic inches) or with a length greater than 22 inches:
    1. We have not yet received confirmation from USPS as to whether eBay labels customers will be assessed this fee. We’re working with USPS on getting this clarification and hope to be able to provide an update ASAP
    2. If USPS confirms that the new $1.50 fee will be charged
  1.       The fee would apply to Priority Mail, Priority Mail Express and Parcel Select
  2.       The fee would apply if dimensions are not provided, however label printing is not permitted if the      seller doesn’t input dimensions—the fee would apply if the seller inputs incorrect dimensions

-----

Edit: Follow-up can be found here

Velvet,
eBay
Message 65 of 68
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

Questions for the Shipping Team regarding this change coming from the USPS on April 3rd (Please try to provide  answers as quickly as possible, as this is now only a few weeks away😞

"NEW: Starting in April 2022, there will be a new “nonstandard fee” for packages that must be sorted manually by the USPS when the dimensions of the package exceed sortation requirements. Rates will be adjusted based on box dimensions. Packages with length over 22 inches will have a $4.00 surcharge, packages with length over 30 inches will have $15.00 surcharge and packages over 2 cubic feet will have a $15.00 surcharge. This will apply to Priority Mail Express, Priority Mail and Parcel Select Ground."

Assume I use ebay shipping labels, and I only use USPS.

This ONLY applies to Priority Mail Express, Priority Mail, and Parcel Select Ground.

Which means it does NOT apply to USPS Retail Ground. I generally use USPS Parcel Select via ebay labels. To use Retail Ground, I must either buy my label at the USPS Counter or online directly through the USPS "Click n' Ship. Normally, there can be a substantial savings for using Parcel Select.

However, if my package meets the size criteria for these surcharges, would it be LESS expensive to use Retail Ground in those situations, since I could avoid the new Nonstandard fee?

This ONLY applies to packages with a length over 22", and over 30", and over 2 cubic feet. Do those measurements AUTOMATICALLY mean the package "must be sorted manually", and do they AUTOMATICALLY "exceed sortation requirements"? No exceptions? In other words, does this new nonstandard fee apply to any and all PME, PM, and USPS Parcel Select Ground packages where length exceeds 22" or which exceeds 2 cubic feet?

Assuming the answer is "yes" to that question--- when using ebay calculated shipping, will ebay automatically include this in its calculation for my packages that exceed the 22" length or 2 cubic foot criteria? (Just as it does now for dim weight)

If I use ebay and Flat Rate shipping, I will need to consider adding these fees to my existing flat rate items, correct?

And if I am using Free Shipping, I will need to consider increasing my item price, or perhaps adding the nonstandard fee as a shipping charge, and eliminate my free shipping entirely?

If my Priority Mail package exceeds 30" in length AND exceeds 2 cubic feet, will I be assessed TWO nonstandard fees of $15.00 each (total of $30.00)? Or will I be assessed just one $15.00 fee?

Has ebay negotiated any discount for ebay sellers for these new nonstandard fees? If not, Is ebay working on that?

These new nonstandard fees will hit some sellers pretty hard, and in some cases will likely mean that some sellers will stop offering certain merchandise. (Keep in mind that not only does this increase the shipping cost, but also increases how much we pay ebay in FVF, because the FVF is calculated on the total payment price, including shipping.)

What is ebay doing to help?

If ebay cannot negotiate a substantial discount of some sort for the new nonstandard fee, would the Shipping Team consider putting together a Resource Page with information on how best to ship items that trigger these criteria?

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques! I'll be sure to pass this on to the shipping team as well. I'll follow-up with anything they provide me. 

Like I noted in my follow up to your other post @my-cottage-books-and-antiques, the shipping team came back with some answers to your questions. I want to note again that there will be an announcement shortly about the upcoming April 3rd changes but they're still awaiting some clarification with USPS before that can happen. In the meantime, they said I could provide the below info to you:

1. The seller indicates that the $4.00 Nonstandard fee only applies to Priority Mail Express, Priority Mail, and Parcel Select Ground. USPS will also assess the Nonstandard fee for USPS Retail Ground.
  2. Nonstandard fee applies to packages over 22 inches ($4.00), over 30 inches ($15.00) and over 2 cubic feet (15.00)
  3. Re: seller’s question “If I use ebay and Flat Rate shipping, I will need to consider adding these fees to my existing flat rate items, correct?” I’m assuming the seller means flat vs calculated shipping here and not USPS Flat Rate Shipping – it’s up to the seller as to how they decide to incorporate the new pricing into their pricing strategy as they know their customers and competitive space best
  4. If a package is both over 30 inches and also over 2 cubic feet, the Nonstandard fee would be $15.00 and not $30.00
  5. eBay labels customers receive eBay’s negotiated rates which are significant discount from USPS Retail rates.
Velvet,
eBay
Message 66 of 68
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

velvet@ebay wrote:

Questions for the Shipping Team about thiis USPS change coming April 3rd:

"NEW: Starting in April 2022, there will be a $1.50 fee for packages that are greater than one cubic foot or have a box length greater than 22 inches if the customer did not provide dimensions or provided inaccurate dimensions inside an online postage provider (e.g. Stamps.com). This will apply to Priority Mail Express, Priority Mail and Parcel Select Ground."

Just trying to make sure I understand this:

(Assume I use ebay shipping labels)

This extra $1.50 is more of a penalty than a fee, is that correct?

And it is NOT something ebay will add to calculated shipping, because the PO won't assess this until the package is actually mailed?

If I'm reading this correctly:

This ONLY applies to Priority Mail Express, Priority Mail and Parcel Select Ground.

It ONLY applies if I use an online postage provider (I would assume that would include ebay)

It ONLY applies to packages that are greater than :

one cubic foot
OR
with a box length greater than 22"

and most importantly---

It ONLY applies IF I failed to provide dimensions when printing the label, or IF I provided dimensions that the PO determines were inaccurate.

And if all that is correct, here's a scenario:

I mail a Priority Mail package that is larger than 1 cubic foot (let's say dimensions are actually14" x 14" x 14"), but when printing the label I erroneously provide dimensions of 12" x 12" x 12".

The USPS will charge me --through ebay---with the Postage Due (since the amount I paid for the label will be less than the dim weight due to the incorrect dimensions) AND will charge me the new $1.50 fee as well? Is that correct?

And, if everything I've said so far is correct, that means this $1.50 fee can be avoided simply by making sure I always provide correct dimensions when printing my ebay label?

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques! I'll be sure to pass this on to the shipping team and will follow-up with anything they provide me. 

Hello @my-cottage-books-and-antiques! The shipping team has said there will be an announcement shortly about the upcoming April 3rd changes but they're still awaiting some clarification with USPS before that can happen. In the meantime, they said you are pretty much correct on all accounts and that I could provide the below info to you:

1. With regard to the new $1.50 fee for packages greater than one cubic foot (1728 cubic inches) or with a length greater than 22 inches:
    1. We have not yet received confirmation from USPS as to whether eBay labels customers will be assessed this fee. We’re working with USPS on getting this clarification and hope to be able to provide an update ASAP
    2. If USPS confirms that the new $1.50 fee will be charged
  1.       The fee would apply to Priority Mail, Priority Mail Express and Parcel Select
  2.       The fee would apply if dimensions are not provided, however label printing is not permitted if the      seller doesn’t input dimensions—the fee would apply if the seller inputs incorrect dimensions

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques the shipping team followed up to let me know that they've received confirmation that the $1.50 fee for packages great than one cubic foot (1728 cubic inches) or with a length great than 22 inches will apply to eBay labels. 

The shipping team followed up to let us know that while their original discussion with USPS indicated that fees would not be stacked, they've since received an update from USPS letting us know that non-standard fees will be stacked after all, and the maximum of two non-standard fees will be assessed. They included an example of how that would work:

A seller could be charged for both length exceeding 22” ($4)  or 30” ($15) and also for exceeding 2 cubic feet ($15).  So for a package with length of 23” that exceeds 2 cubic feet, the charge would be $19.

***I also noticed I had said one cubic foot in this original post, but it should have said 2 cubic feet. Other posts in this chat state 2 cubic feet correctly. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 67 of 68
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@saturdaystoys wrote:

Here is the screen I get when printing postage.  I see no option for shipping via "envelope" rather than by "package" (as shown).  Also no option for entering fractions.

ebay standard.JPG

Also... this is the envelope I've been using in the postcard category... and it has worked perfectly.  I had understood this to be the envelope that should be used... as it's only 1/16" thick, as shown:

IMG_4052.JPGIMG_4053.JPG

Granted, while I have many years of experience on eBay... I'm new re: use of the eBay Standard Envelope.

See anything specific that I have gotten wrong?  Thanks much.

Hmmm, I'm going to reach out to the shipping team to see what I can find out @saturdaystoys

Apologies for the delayed reply @saturdaystoys! I'm trying to check on and follow-up with any chat posts we hadn't had an answer on and I got the following response for this one:

Their 3rd dimension is 1 inch and it shouldn't be. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 68 of 68
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: