cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, December 9 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: Community Chat, December 9 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Is this how a counterfeit item should be reported to eBay?   This is what I am using.

Report Category – Copyright and trademark

Reason for Report – Counterfeit Item or authenticity disclaimer

Detailed Reason – Counterfeit, fake, or replica items

Brief Description - Per tyler@ebay and brittanie@ebay report counterfeits not allowed for sale report / action taken.

With Patrick Mahomes (5 types of auto rookie counterfeits) showing 27 active listings (all reported), and 35 sold since December 1 st (with 30 of the 35 reported) not sure much is working.

With Mike Trout (3 types of counterfeits auto rookie) showing 41 active listings (all reported), and 28 sold since December 1 st (with a majority reported) not sure much is working. 

Active and Proactive steps are not working.   Can you tell the member community where the real break down is in this process?  Lack of staffing?   Management direction to ignore?  Other?

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 2 of 57
latest reply

I get messages in my inbox from eBay like these:

Special limited-time 40% discount on 2003 UD KOBE BRYANT MICHAEL JORDAN DUAL CARD

Special limited-time 15% discount on 2017 Patrick Mahomes Contenders ROOKIE Card

These messages are for the sale of counterfeit goods.  These messages are from eBay.  Why is eBay offering and soliciting counterfeit goods in their messages to me?   eBay seems to be encouraging me to buy counterfeit goods?

Maybe one proactive step eBay should take is not to solicit counterfeit goods to members with messages like these.

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 3 of 57
latest reply

Hi Tyler,

I have a question on usps ground shipping.  I can add parcel select to a listing as a flat rate choice, but not calculated.

A number of sellers have reported that they do not have parcel select as an option when they ship, even though that is the service that was on the listing.

Is eBay no longer offering parcel select?

thanks!

Sue

------

Edit: a reply to your question can be found here

wooden_flower Volunteer Community Mentor.
eBay member since 2001.

Message 4 of 57
latest reply

eBay continues to turn a blind eye to the counterfeit products being sold on the site.  As a buyer I can't confidently buy the items I need for my business.  I am guessing it is not the goal of eBay for me to seek out other places to buy the items I want.  Why is it that eBay refuses to take accountability for the counterfeits being sold on their site.  It is unfair to make it the burden of the buyer to figure out what is or isn't fake.  Filing reports as a user doesn't accomplish anything.

_____

Message 5 of 57
latest reply

@justsc92 wrote:

Is this how a counterfeit item should be reported to eBay?   This is what I am using.

Report Category – Copyright and trademark

Reason for Report – Counterfeit Item or authenticity disclaimer

Detailed Reason – Counterfeit, fake, or replica items

Brief Description - Per tyler@ebay and brittanie@ebay report counterfeits not allowed for sale report / action taken.

With Patrick Mahomes (5 types of auto rookie counterfeits) showing 27 active listings (all reported), and 35 sold since December 1 st (with 30 of the 35 reported) not sure much is working.

With Mike Trout (3 types of counterfeits auto rookie) showing 41 active listings (all reported), and 28 sold since December 1 st (with a majority reported) not sure much is working. 

Active and Proactive steps are not working.   Can you tell the member community where the real break down is in this process?  Lack of staffing?   Management direction to ignore?  Other?

Hi @justsc92 - yes, the when reporting a listing you believe to be inauthentic, select these options:
1. Copyright and trademark
2. Counterfeit item or authenticity disclaimer
3. Counterfeit, fake, or replica items
4. "Continue" to open Comment box.

I would keep the comments box focused on what and why you believe the items to be inauthentic, as my name isn't going to hold sway with a decision to remove an item from the site. 

Reports are reviewed and action taken as appropriate, but you may not always see that as we do not discuss action taken on other members' accounts. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 6 of 57
latest reply

Several things I have reported but with no follow up or answers or explanations.

1.  I continue to see "

• PRE-SHIPMENT INFO SENT USPS AWAITS ITEM
  • BELLINGHAM, WA 98229

On items AFTER They are accepted by the post office.  This is not shown on the USPS site, but only on ebay.

2.  I have several items in my sold/shipped history with faulty ship dates, showing that I shipped 2-3 days after I actually shipped and after the first scan "picked up by USPS"  

3.  I have no idea what to do with multi variation listings when they ask for SIZE as a required item specific when it is actually a Variation of the listing.  For example, an item has a choice between four sizes and item specifics is saying to input size as a "required soon" IS.  

4. It could be my local sort center/hub but many of my packages are sitting for over a week with no updates.    I have read the update announcement, but I wanted to point out that it appears that some hubs are the problem and there is no way to know when/which packages are going to take so long to get delivered.

5 When I called customer support yesterday regarding shipping issues, I was told that Service Metrics do not affect us.  The CSR insisted that only defects matter.         She said they are not like late shipments.      I suggested she research further.  

-----

Edit:  A reply to your questions can be found here

Message 7 of 57
latest reply

Hello eBay folks: again, thanks for doing this.

Looking to be an interesting day.

Message 8 of 57
latest reply

If it is a matter of not having the staff or resources to be able to handle the vetting of the listings to prevent counterfeits, perhaps ebay should cap the number of listing, at any one time, to what they can handle.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 9 of 57
latest reply

Is eBay communicating with the USPS about the significant service delays?  Will estimated delivery dates be extended to account for the delays?  Will the USPS holiday surcharges be reversed due to the service problems?

-----

Edit: A reply to your questions can be found here

Message 10 of 57
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

Tyler, why the canned reply when nothing happens to counterfeit sellers as Ebay does not want to lose their sales or commission.

W5 in Canada had a whole show on this and Ebay denied, did nothing, and still does nothing.

-----

Edit: a response to your comment can be found here

Message 11 of 57
latest reply

Big shout out to @theshoppingmom2 for initiating and organizing the holiday gift exchange! (And for being so gracious about all my inquiries.) It should prove to be fun for all who participate.  🤶

_____

Message 12 of 57
latest reply

@justsc92 wrote:

I get messages in my inbox from eBay like these:

Special limited-time 40% discount on 2003 UD KOBE BRYANT MICHAEL JORDAN DUAL CARD

Special limited-time 15% discount on 2017 Patrick Mahomes Contenders ROOKIE Card

These messages are for the sale of counterfeit goods.  These messages are from eBay.  Why is eBay offering and soliciting counterfeit goods in their messages to me?   eBay seems to be encouraging me to buy counterfeit goods?

Maybe one proactive step eBay should take is not to solicit counterfeit goods to members with messages like these.

Hey @justsc92 - Offers may be sent to members who view or add items to their watch list. This feature on the seller's end is 'Send offers to watchers and the seller is given the option to send to people reviewing or watching their items. You can turn the ability for sellers to send these to you off by going to your Communication Preferences under My Account in My eBay and unselecting  the checkbox next to 'General email promotions'. 

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 13 of 57
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

If it is a matter of not having the staff or resources to be able to handle the vetting of the listings to prevent counterfeits, perhaps ebay should cap the number of listing, at any one time, to what they can handle.

Or have harder sanctions for when sellers are proven to sell counterfeit goods.

Message 14 of 57
latest reply

@wooden_flower wrote:

Hi Tyler,

I have a question on usps ground shipping.  I can add parcel select to a listing as a flat rate choice, but not calculated.

A number of sellers have reported that they do not have parcel select as an option when they ship, even though that is the service that was on the listing.

Is eBay no longer offering parcel select?

thanks!

Sue

Hi @wooden_flower!

Yes, USPS Parcel Select is being phased out as an option for sellers using eBay Labels. This was due to it not being widely utilized, and having a higher rate of poor buyer experiences (more common INRs, etc). 

The phase out is a slow one, but eventually it will no longer be an option to use with eBay Labels. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 15 of 57
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: