cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, December 9 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: Community Chat, December 9 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

When is ebay going to set up a simple financial report sellers can use, I have to go all over the place to get numbers for my account and none match the report ebay sends out. If I can't get the right numbers I'm going have to shut down, can't take the chance of getting audited 

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 31 of 57
latest reply

@ann*don wrote:

Is eBay communicating with the USPS about the significant service delays?  Will estimated delivery dates be extended to account for the delays?  Will the USPS holiday surcharges be reversed due to the service problems?

Hi @ann*don - we're communicating with all major shippers daily, and adjusting estimated delivery dates accordingly (you can read more about that here). 

We haven't seen any announcements from USPS about their holiday surcharges, but if it is something they do I imagine we'll make sure to announce that as well!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 32 of 57
latest reply

Does ebay still offer seller protection and feedback removal when a buyer uses the buy it now to make a purchase and then requests to cancel the sale because they purchased in error? It appears to have been removed from the seller protection and feedback removal policies so I was curious how to handle these requests or if I should use the npb process instead of cancelling.

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 33 of 57
latest reply

@coinslabz26 wrote:

Does ebay still offer seller protection and feedback removal when a buyer uses the buy it now to make a purchase and then requests to cancel the sale because they purchased in error? It appears to have been removed from the seller protection and feedback removal policies so I was curious how to handle these requests or if I should use the npb process instead of cancelling.

This may help.  It doesn't answer everything you ask, but it is a start.

https://static.ebayinc.com/assets/Uploads/Documents/2019-eBay-Open-Seller-Protections.pdf?fbclid=IwA...

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 34 of 57
latest reply

@papermoneyforme wrote:

@donsdetour wrote:

@papermoneyforme wrote:

tyler@ebay 

Tyler, why the canned reply when nothing happens to counterfeit sellers as Ebay does not want to lose their sales or commission.

W5 in Canada had a whole show on this and Ebay denied, did nothing, and still does nothing.

eBay has NO experts to say counterfeit or not: they do not know or care.

Worse on older items, its opinion only: not fact on such claims.

One would have to hire a hundred to a thousand people to do this.

At least the have the VERO system on some things.

And to get the point across: Who am I?? No one but a user name on a board. What is my opinion worth?

Not much if the reader does not see any value in it.

Same goes for user names on ebay reporting counterfeit items..

Then don't used a canned response which is an outright lie.

Change it to we know counterfeits are sold but we don't care as we have no staff, no knowledge, we make money and it is a buyer beware site.

It has always been buyer beware, still is.   If more could feasibly (cost of being the main thing) more might be done.

They are trying in high value watches with the verification between seller and buyer. It is going on in some shoe brands also.

Not sure how such could be done for other items at this time.

Got any real ideas of how to??

Message 35 of 57
latest reply

In the coin category many of my listings have recommended item specifics ebay is telling me to add. The specific is adding "km" numbers which are not typically used for the coins it is requesting me to add them to. Also it says under the ( i ) information dot to get the "KM" numbers from www.ngccoin.com but they do not list KM numbers because KM numbers are not typically used to identify US coins. Is this some major error or is there a hidden spot to find these KM numbers? Could you provide the exact link not just the ngc site if one exists?

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Message 36 of 57
latest reply

@papermoneyforme wrote:

tyler@ebay 

Tyler, why the canned reply when nothing happens to counterfeit sellers as Ebay does not want to lose their sales or commission.

W5 in Canada had a whole show on this and Ebay denied, did nothing, and still does nothing.

Hi @papermoneyforme - I provide the answer I'm able to provide when asked questions about items you believe to be inauthentic. I realize that you feel it is insufficient, but I'm not able to provide further detail. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 37 of 57
latest reply

Hi,

USPS announced their holiday price increase on August 14.2020 and was found on their website:

Aug. 14, 2020

U.S. Postal Service Announces Temporary Price Increase

Increase for Commercial Parcels; Retail Customers Unaffected

WASHINGTON – The United States Postal Service filed notice with the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) today of a temporary price change to take effect Oct. 18, 2020.

The planned temporary price adjustments are in response to increased expenses and heightened demand for online shopping package volume due to the coronavirus pandemic and expected holiday ecommerce. As a result of these changing market conditions, the Postal Service is planning a time-limited price increase on all commercial domestic competitive package volume from Oct. 18 until Dec. 27, 2020. Retail prices and international products will be unaffected.

The planned price increase would go into effect at 12:00AM Central on Oct.18, 2020 and remain in place until 12:00AM Central Dec. 27, 2020. 

The planned prices, approved by the Governors of the Postal Service on August 6, would raise prices on its commercial domestic competitive parcels – Priority Mail Express, Priority Mail, First-Class Package Service, Parcel Select, and Parcel Return Service.

cookie

Message 38 of 57
latest reply

@tsme35 wrote:

When is ebay going to set up a simple financial report sellers can use, I have to go all over the place to get numbers for my account and none match the report ebay sends out. If I can't get the right numbers I'm going have to shut down, can't take the chance of getting audited 

Managed payment book keeping is a mess in my opinion. Need work.

Message 39 of 57
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@ann*don wrote:

Is eBay communicating with the USPS about the significant service delays?  Will estimated delivery dates be extended to account for the delays?  Will the USPS holiday surcharges be reversed due to the service problems?

Hi @ann*don - we're communicating with all major shippers daily, and adjusting estimated delivery dates accordingly (you can read more about that here). 

tyler@ebay  - I'm curious why this requires daily communication (presumably between team members?) and some kind of manual/programmatic adjustment? Are there not APIs and automated ways for eBay to have up to date, real time carrier specific ETAs?

Message 40 of 57
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

@papermoneyforme wrote:

@donsdetour wrote:

@papermoneyforme wrote:

tyler@ebay 

eBay has NO experts to say counterfeit or not: they do not know or care.

Worse on older items, its opinion only: not fact on such claims.

One would have to hire a hundred to a thousand people to do this.

At least the have the VERO system on some things.

And to get the point across: Who am I?? No one but a user name on a board. What is my opinion worth?

Not much if the reader does not see any value in it.

Same goes for user names on ebay reporting counterfeit items..

Then don't used a canned response which is an outright lie.

Change it to we know counterfeits are sold but we don't care as we have no staff, no knowledge, we make money and it is a buyer beware site.

It has always been buyer beware, still is.   If more could feasibly (cost of being the main thing) more might be done.

They are trying in high value watches with the verification between seller and buyer. It is going on in some shoe brands also.

Not sure how such could be done for other items at this time.

Got any real ideas of how to??

Sure, do what outsiders have done who Ebay does not believe either.

Buy some of the heavily sold counterfeits, send them to the manufacturer/grading company.

If they come back counterfeit, close the seller account for life.

Yes, it is work, but maybe then the canned response will be believable.

Message 41 of 57
latest reply

@cookiecookie55 wrote:

Hi,

USPS announced their holiday price increase on August 14.2020 and was found on their website:

Aug. 14, 2020

U.S. Postal Service Announces Temporary Price Increase

Increase for Commercial Parcels; Retail Customers Unaffected

WASHINGTON – The United States Postal Service filed notice with the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) today of a temporary price change to take effect Oct. 18, 2020.

The planned temporary price adjustments are in response to increased expenses and heightened demand for online shopping package volume due to the coronavirus pandemic and expected holiday ecommerce. As a result of these changing market conditions, the Postal Service is planning a time-limited price increase on all commercial domestic competitive package volume from Oct. 18 until Dec. 27, 2020. Retail prices and international products will be unaffected.

The planned price increase would go into effect at 12:00AM Central on Oct.18, 2020 and remain in place until 12:00AM Central Dec. 27, 2020. 

The planned prices, approved by the Governors of the Postal Service on August 6, would raise prices on its commercial domestic competitive parcels – Priority Mail Express, Priority Mail, First-Class Package Service, Parcel Select, and Parcel Return Service.

cookie

To my knowledge this is a 25 cent raise in each of the methods stated above for couple more weeks.

Sadly we will then have the yearly postal increase come into play late January.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 42 of 57
latest reply

@wooden_flower wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@wooden_flower wrote:

Hi Tyler,

I have a question on usps ground shipping.  I can add parcel select to a listing as a flat rate choice, but not calculated.

A number of sellers have reported that they do not have parcel select as an option when they ship, even though that is the service that was on the listing.

Is eBay no longer offering parcel select?

thanks!

Sue

Hi @wooden_flower!

Yes, USPS Parcel Select is being phased out as an option for sellers using eBay Labels. This was due to it not being widely utilized, and having a higher rate of poor buyer experiences (more common INRs, etc). 

The phase out is a slow one, but eventually it will no longer be an option to use with eBay Labels. Thanks!

Thank you Tyler.  Any chance of getting a general announcement?

Hi @wooden_flower - I'll get it suggested!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 43 of 57
latest reply

Thanks for your help, have a great week!

Message 44 of 57
latest reply

@cookiecookie55 wrote:

Hi,

I mentioned in last week’s chat about the instant views that my items receive as soon as they are listed.

Here are 2 items that were listed this morning and received views the moment that they were listed: #124477725389  received 2 instant views, and, #124477596739 received 1 instant view.  Here is item #114547408396 that received 463 instant views and was listed on November 29.   These “instant views” happen every day on both of my selling accounts.  Thank you for looking into this.  cookie

Hi @cookiecookie55 - thank you so much for these examples! I don't have an update on this but I'll make sure that this detail gets added. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 45 of 57
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: