cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, April 14 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Re: Community Chat, April 14 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

@nuclearomen wrote:

tyler@ebay  brian@ebay  

For 3 weeks I have been contacting ebay to have them restore my service metrics. In this time they have failed every time to correct the issue. On Feb 12th a buyer opened a INAD (Item Not As Described) case on me BY ACCIDENT, buyer messaged me and apologized and explained it was intended for another seller. Screenshot:
IMG_1362.jpg

Ebay seen the message and closed the case with me not at fault. OK, the issue is however the defect was never removed from my service metrics. I have called and called and talked to eba rep after ebay rep many times over the past 3 weeks about the issue and every time I fully explain it and said reps “make a report” to send it to “proper team” and 24-48 hrs later I get a mail from said team saying “sorry, we have corrected the issue… blah blah blah” and direct me to Seller Dashboard… but every time the defect is not corrected, it’s still there, and to top it off the seller dashboard seller level and service metrics don’t even match.

So to explain this so you understand and see what I’m talking about I’m adding screen shots to clearly point the issues out. But understand, in 3 years of selling in music category I have NEVER had an INAD, INR, or any other claim opened on me by any buyer – period. My service record is PERFECT, yet ebay can’t correct the service metrics. It says right in help “If any defect you received can’t be removed auto, you can appeal it if any of the following apply: The buyer opened the request by mistake” – I keep calling, they keep telling me it’s been corrected, but from the screens below you can see it clearly has not. Screenshot: 
IMG_1364.jpg

On Service Metrics, under Item not as described, Category: Music: Rate is listed as 0.39% - Average to my peers – Remember this number 1/254 = 0.39% (be pointing it out again next paragraph) with Reason for return “missing parts or pieces”. This should be 0 and LOW to my peers with 0 Returns 0/254 = 0% (again, I have never had any INAD or INR, nor ever any return of merchandise for any purchase in music category in 3 years of selling, a perfect record! Screenshot:

IMG_1363.jpg

Now look at the screen for Seller Dashboard Seller Level: Notice that under “Return Rate” the defect is still there “Music: 1/283 = 0.35%” yet ebay keeps telling me they corrected and removed the defect…also now remember I pointed out on service metrics for you to note the number listed for Music was 1/254 = 0.39% so you see now what I meant when I said previous paragraph that the service metrics and dashboard don’t even match… the number you see on dashboard should be identical to the service metrics, not different. Screenshot:

IMG_1354.jpg

I don’t understand why ebay cannot correct and restore my metrics/seller dashboard to what it should be. Even more so, after 3 weeks and many different reps. Keep telling me “sorry, we have corrected the mistake” every time they mail me after I talked to a rep and put in a report, but every time nothing is actually done. Incompetence? Idk, sure looks like it to me. Why is it that you cannot talk directly with the dept who is charge of this stuff? You have to call explain the issue to what ever rep you get who then either “makes a report” or pass you to 5 different helps who can “help” you – just to make a report and send it to “proper team” but can’t connect you to that team. Then the “proper team” sends an email 24-48 hrs later saying they corrected issue (when they haven’t) and you have ZERO COMMUNICATION with whom replied you. Why is it that they can’t CALL YOU and DISCUSS the issue WITH YOU ON THE PHONE IN REAL TIME? At this point I’m so fed up with ebay idk what to do. No one listens every time I call and explain it, and it can’t be explained any better than I already have done. Come down right to it, I’m punished by ebay for having perfect sales and record? This has had great impacted my sales for 3 weeks my sales have gone to near nothing, I keep calling, explaining, getting “we fixed it” replies, and they haven’t fixed anything. That goes for Ebay tech support as well who was supposed to run diagnostics on my account because it’s pretty messed up and fix it and still things are a mess. They still never even fixed my postage receipts issue for over 3 months now still not getting receipts for any media mail shipping label I purchase after numerous service requests put it. Is tech support on perm vacation? Sure seems like it at least too many doughnuts being consumed then work being done?

I’m asking you (any of you ebay employees/all of you) to look into this matter and get it resolved. There is no excuse for this not being fixed on my account. My record is perfect in music category and I want the defect removed and my rating restored to 0 and Low with No Returns like it should be!

Every time an issue happens with someone’s account there is ZERO help from ebay in getting it corrected. Total lack of REAL customer service and complete horrid technical support. Add in ZERO cross communication with appropriate dept = NOTHING gets done or done correctly. And just to put it in there having reps that speak clear and good ENGLISH is part of the issue, can’t understand a word these clowns say… ebay’s “chat” support is just as bad, so much you will go through 8-10 reps who just pass you to another rep who is suppose to be able to help but they not only can’t but have NO IDEA what is going on at all. You wind up having to tell them what is/isn’t, supposed to be/not to be, ebay policy and everything else on top of them being arrogant, rude, and complete waste of time… where’s my check for educating these fools? Complete joke and ebay sellers are getting pretty sick of it. End result is you end the conversion in anger, but you need the issue(s) resolved so wind up calling again next day and trying luck with another “rep” who knows nothing and can do nothing. It’s so bad after every call I get that leave feedback notice…well now I give 1 star and tell the truth – they were horrid and solved nothing.

Sorry for the long post, but someone needs to say it and the issue with my metrics needs to be corrected and restored, feel like this is my last hope is coming here and bring the issue to community chat.

Hi @nuclearomen - I'm sorry that this has been such an incredibly frustrating situation for you. It's upsetting to be told repeatedly that something will be removed only to not have it happen. I want to clarify a few things that may help explain why you're seeing nothing happen after your contacts to CS. 

Service Metrics are not part of your seller performance - they are a separate record of Not as Described returns and Item not Received requests. You can read more about them here and here. The metric is designed to look at all opened requests regardless of outcome or reason and compare it to peers in the same category (there are some limited exceptions spelled out in the second link).  

A service metric record is not considered a 'defect' and doesn't fall under the same reasons for removal that you highlight in your screenshot. This is why you're not seeing the number change, even if teammates are saying they will submit a defect appeal (more on that below). 

Additionally - the return section in your Seller Dashboard is going to count the return that was opened as a return for the category. That's another module that looks at open-rate, not outcome. This isn't something that would typically be removed.  

You should always be treated with respect, not just with the words we use but also of your time. I'd rather tell you up front that this isn't something that will be removed than to make you promises that we'll 'look into it' when the reality is that this isn't something that will be removed. 

With all that said, teammates should be providing you that information up front, not making you promises when it's not something that will happen. I will have your contacts to CS reviewed and appropriate coaching provided to the employees involved.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 31 of 61
latest reply

Here's an easy one for you - this page has a dead link to the 'financing center'  in the first section - receiving payment -

https://pages.motors.ebay.com/sell/howto/complete-finalize.html

_____

Edit: Reply to this post can be read here

wooden_flower Volunteer Community Mentor.
eBay member since 2001.

Message 32 of 61
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

So, I recently ended my Promoted Listings campaigns and, as an experiment, put my listings into one of the new "automated" campaigns. I get that with the automated campaign, ebay is automatically changing my PL rate to the daily "suggested rate" (up to the max percentage I set when I created the new campaign). So, I'm fine with all that.

But now....how do I find what the actual rate is, today, for an item in my campaign? My Active Listings no longer show a percentage rate, they just say "automated"

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques I'm actually not sure if it displays the current ad rate, so I'll see what I can find out and update you in this thread.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 33 of 61
latest reply

@glgenterprise wrote:

@gwzcomps wrote:

Oof good luck with that.  I tried fighting strikes in the past due to different circumstances.  eBay literally doesn't care when it comes to these strikes on our accounts.  They would rather create a toxic marketplace if it means eBay can extort you for that extra 5% penalty fee.

Along with my favorite response ever from CS - "well, sure it's wrong, but one strike doesn't hurt your account". My response "Ok, but what happens if I have a situation that results in a legitimate strike and they add up to a level that sends me into a below average scenario based on the incorrect one(s)?". CS response "........... (dead air)"

Yeah I have fought aggressively with them on those.  More so on my seller dashboard.  I won't accept any tracking strikes since my stuff always goes out on time.  I will happily tell them I am willing to waste more time than it is worth for either of us.

Message 34 of 61
latest reply

Here's a suggestion:

Have a way for a buyer to select delay shipping.

I have an issue right now where a buyer has bought an item at auction and wants to wait and see if he win another so I can combine shipping. Of course, it will be long past my 3 day handling time. My only options are mark as shipped even though it hasn't, or take the hit for the delay. (oh, if marked as shipped the buyer will be notified and confused. This is international and language can be an issue in communicating). Have  had a couple similar in the past, including someone buying an item right before leaving for vacation and then asking for a delay.

The fact is buyers always ask after paying so as sellers we are left in a bad spot.

Why can't we control our customer service in these cases? We are doing what the buyer wants. Let the buyer communicate the request for delay.

Saw this in a listing recently as another proof point:

eBay requires that we post tracking within 24hours of receiving payment.

If there is any reason that your item should not be shipped immediately (Pick-up, Delivery or Still Buying) Please contact us before paying!

Obviously afraid of the ding by eBay

-----

edit: a reply to your comment can be found here

Message 35 of 61
latest reply

@glgenterprise wrote:

I've asked on and off over the last couple years, but I'll ask again -

Is there any possibility that there can be a functionality added to the shipping module that would allow for a SCAN sheet that would not require me to print all the shipping labels at the same time? My PO would be very happy to get SCAN sheets from me, but I won't take the risk of not putting the label immediately on a package. I ship many things in the same size package, but they are most definitely not the same item. It's just too easy to cross label packages if I don't label immediately.

Like on the labels page, select the items that I want a SCAN sheet for? It would make many of us happy, and not get the counter staff at the PO mad at us when they have to scan each package individually.

@glgenterprise Great question! I have not heard that this is something on our roadmap to release, but I can definitely get this feedback passed to the shipping team for review. 

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 36 of 61
latest reply

Ah yes the lazy "I'm sorry you feel that way." reply.  I know you can't say it, but why don't you just admit you could care less.  If you are gonna fall back on lazy catch phrases like that to dismiss a person's concern then why even waste the energy to reply?  Might as well spit in the person's face while you are at it.

-----

edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Message 37 of 61
latest reply

@star.fighter wrote:

oops!  i think i forgot to mention that i was already credited with the funds, so the ebay automatic return options do not allow for that item.  i just don't like keeping the seller's product no matter how bad a seller they are.  (not international)

@star.fighter thanks for the clarification. If a refund has already been issued then the only way to return the item would be to work with the seller, eBay won't step in at this point to facilitate a return. The seller can provide you with a return label or fund to return the item.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 38 of 61
latest reply

@glgenterprise wrote:

I've asked on and off over the last couple years, but I'll ask again -

Is there any possibility that there can be a functionality added to the shipping module that would allow for a SCAN sheet that would not require me to print all the shipping labels at the same time? My PO would be very happy to get SCAN sheets from me, but I won't take the risk of not putting the label immediately on a package. I ship many things in the same size package, but they are most definitely not the same item. It's just too easy to cross label packages if I don't label immediately.

Like on the labels page, select the items that I want a SCAN sheet for? It would make many of us happy, and not get the counter staff at the PO mad at us when they have to scan each package individually.

You can select individual orders to create labels for, as you process them, on the bulk shipping page.  The process involves selecting all of the orders you do NOT want to create labels for, clicking the remove button, and you'll be left with the order to generate a label for.

The scan sheet only applies to the labels that have been generated up until it is created.  And you can generate as many scan sheets as you want to during the day to cover subsequent shipments.

Message 39 of 61
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

This listing was promoted by the official eBay Twitter page, despite the fact that it is clearly in violation of eBay’s Presale Policies requiring shipment within 30 days.

presale2.jpg

The listing has been reported through the “report listing” link, but despite this and several reports by multiple Twitter users, the listing remains active. 

Please forward this issue to Chief Compliance Officer Molly Finn as there may be regulatory issues in play here as well.

While the listing does state a shipping date of June 4th in the subtitle, eBay is automatically calculating and displaying a different/conflicting shipping date based on obviously false handling time settings, which is certainly misleading to buyers.

Hi @valueaddedresource - thanks for this, I'll get it reported. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 40 of 61
latest reply

PL's are a waste of money in general.  The fact that eBay charges the fees up to 30 days after the buyer clicks the link proves it isn't a tool to drive traffic.  It is a tool to trick sellers into paying eBay more money.  If a person really wants to drive traffic run targeted ads on social media.  It may cost you money up front, but if done right you will get better exposure and results.

Message 41 of 61
latest reply

@wooden_flower wrote:

Here's an easy one for you - this page has a dead link to the 'financing center'  in the first section - receiving payment -

https://pages.motors.ebay.com/sell/howto/complete-finalize.html

Thanks @wooden_flower, I'll get that reported! 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 42 of 61
latest reply

Please pass on a big thank you to the update team or whoever was responsible for including the side by side fee charts in the announcement about changes to the watches category.

It makes it easy to see exactly what is changing for which sellers, which is great!

I hope they will do that for any other changes and updates in the future too, as I know it was a big request for the recent Spring seller update. 😊

Thanks @valueaddedresource! I'm glad it was helpful - I'll make sure this gets back to the folks who write them.  

Tyler,
eBay
Message 43 of 61
latest reply

tyler@ebay 
Thanks for reply... under my seller dashboard the screen I posted "transaction Defect Rate" states 100%...I believe that is what the team that keeps contacting me is saying they "fixed" but the metrics was never explained to me in this way (or at all)... but I don't understand why it stays there when there was no case, it was opened by accident by buyer, shouldn't it also be removed then from metrics also? Raises my rate to my peers, if was actual case/issue by my fault OK, but if not why should sellers metrics have the mark? Doesn't seem right to me at all.

-----

edit: a reply to your question can be found here

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 44 of 61
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

This listing was promoted by the official eBay Twitter page, despite the fact that it is clearly in violation of eBay’s Presale Policies requiring shipment within 30 days.

presale2.jpg

The listing has been reported through the “report listing” link, but despite this and several reports by multiple Twitter users, the listing remains active. 

Please forward this issue to Chief Compliance Officer Molly Finn as there may be regulatory issues in play here as well.

While the listing does state a shipping date of June 4th in the subtitle, eBay is automatically calculating and displaying a different/conflicting shipping date based on obviously false handling time settings, which is certainly misleading to buyers.

Hi @valueaddedresource - thanks for this, I'll get it reported. 🙂

Thank you tyler@ebay !

Message 45 of 61
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: