cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CORNINGWARE 9 CUP PERCOLATOR RECALL

chgo11216wc7
Enthusiast
Hi, I know that the cornflower blue non electric coffee pot percolator was recalled in the 70's. Because of this, is it not allowable to list this item? Thank you for your help.
Message 1 of 74
latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

Well I'm currently selling my 9 cup on ebay as "100% complete parts in near mint condition" lol.  For parts only though wink wink wink

Message 61 of 74
latest reply

I see that they are for sale on eBay and I was trying to sell mine as a decorating item and they said I could not sell. Don't know how some can sell and others can't.

Message 62 of 74
latest reply

I also tried to list it, and it was pulled within 5 minutes.  But ... Go to eBay, enter Corning Coffee Pot / Percolator ... and see how many are listed.  Then go to 'Sold Items' ... They sell EVERY day.  Some have 29 day listings, and make it the whole 29 days without being pulled.  I know a person who reports these (and other recalled items) items every day ... none are ever removed.  Same as my CPAP machine.  Pulled within 5 minutes of listing, hundreds of others have been listed and sold.  What is up with that??

Message 63 of 74
latest reply

Yep ... Pulled within 15 minutes.  But, look for the items on eBay, and they are not only listing them AND they are selling, but some of the listings are 29 day listings!  How can all of those get through, but mine is pulled in 5 minutes??  No one at eBay will explain this to me. 

TJ

Message 64 of 74
latest reply

Really, I entered “Corning ware coffee pot” and see 200 listed.

Message 65 of 74
latest reply

This whole thing is a mess. Went to list mine, and a red warning showed up saying if this was part of the recall you are in violation. Well the one I was selling has no give in the handle whatsoever, but above all, does have the 3 digit stamp.  It's been used off and on for decades, and it's still like new.  So since it was not part of the recall, I went ahead and listed the item. 

Then in 48 hours, it was pulled. So I call ebay, and they said all Corning percolators are not allowed per policy. Well, then that is conflicting information, because when I was listing, it #1, allowed me to list (even stating it was not recalled, including pictures of the 3 digit stamp) and #2, said only recalled percolators were prohibited for sale even as a decoration. 

But the rep cited a policy that did not say all Percolators, only ones that are affected by the recall governed by the CPSC. 

Corning is one of the largest kitchenware companies on the planet and they sold a vast vast vast majority of safe percolators.  This would be like banning all Samsung phones because one model had a recall (and that case was even more dangerous than the handle issue). Or banning all sales of Ford passenger vehicles because of the Pinto issue, or all Honda's because of the Airbag issue in isolated models, take your pick, just so many examples. It's just such a massive wide brush stroke. 

I understand it's because a handful of vocal people who don't actually know anything are running around and claiming *all* percolators with metal spouts were recalled and are dangerous. And that is misleading, also dangerous, as many statistically far more dangerous coffee makers exist and are not part of any recall. 

Inconsistencies up the wazoo.  My problem is that I have 15 various NON-RECALLED corning percolators in my collection that were passed down to me. That's not just stressing over one sale, but the fully lawful sale that does not violate anything per CPSC being disallowed out of sure ignorance of the actual cold hard facts of the matter. 

The sad thing is, I have been using (never intended on listing this one) a known recalled 10-cup pot for over 40 years now, almost daily, with no problems whatsoever. I've tried to get the epoxy seal to come off for the life of me (partly out of curiosity and lulz, but also so I can refurbish it for my own use) in a manor that was claimed to be commonplace in the consumer warning. But over the years, we have seen that a) *most* people didn't have great options to make it worth their while replacing the item, and b) *most* people who actually ignored the recall for whatever educated or reckless reasons while keeping the pots in regular use have no problems. Most of all c) That allowing repairs to make a potentially unsafe item into something better than new, is also prohibited just exacerbates the tiny sliver of safety concerns left with these survivors. 

Yes, that is my rant. It's pretty sad, frustrating, and I'm just tired of the inconsistencies.  So now I'm searching for the policy that cites specifically that *ALL* Corning Percolators are prohibited, not a rep interpreting the policy to mean such, but in clear writing that eBay states it has prohibited all sales of Corning Percolators, just as the rep told me. To me, that is what bothers me the most. 

Message 66 of 74
latest reply

I've used the electric Corningware coffee pots all my life (I'm 64). Never had any problems. I've amassed a fair-sized collection of them in the various colors and styles. I use the non-electric Corningware pots only for camping. They work great on a Coleman stove.
Message 67 of 74
latest reply

well I just looked at sold ones and 50 pages of Corning ware stove top and electric sold on Ebay. They just pulled my stove top. I don't think its fair they let that many sell and they pull one. There is at least 50 or more on each page.

Message 68 of 74
latest reply

very interesting. my percolator got taken off the site.  how come some sellers sold it though?

Message 69 of 74
latest reply

Never posted on these ebay forums before.  But my percolator listing was also executed by eBay today and of course it made me grind my teeth a bit.  "Thank you for understanding".  I have to laugh to keep from crying.  What am I supposed to understand, that as has been observed my this thread that hundreds of recalled pots are being regularly transacted while mine is deleted is somehow fair and consistent?  If it was consistently enforced, as it seems to be on Etsy then there would be no room to gripe.

I think the key in my case is that eBay is up my pant leg at the moment because of a return that isn't going 100% smooth because I just moved so the package is probably still being tossed about in the bowels of the Post Office.  So possibly people who aren't under Customer No Service surveillance at the time are more likely to get away with it.  Just my thought and way to complain to eBay.  Be seeing you.

Message 70 of 74
latest reply

Post it as parts only

Message 71 of 74
latest reply

I had a listing removed by eBay For a “corning coffee pot”, only it was a TOY they removed it and said it posed a health and safety hazard.  It is none of these things! The handle is secure, its plastic (the entire thing) and it is a TOY! 
It doesn’t even plug in to heat. 
I have found no recalls for the Corning Toy Coffee Pot, except for this eBay listing and I suppose it looks like the real thing and the computer flagged it on appearance?! 
Glad I found this thread. Thanks.

Message 72 of 74
latest reply

If Ebay can't be fair to everyone that is trying to sell Corning Percolators then they should butt out of the whole thing.
Message 73 of 74
latest reply

I had an e-1210 & was told by corningware it wasn't safe to use & offered to take it back

Message 74 of 74
latest reply