cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diecast car prices, rare and shipping discrepancies

Is is just me or does anyone else find diecast car prices are getting out of hand along with the overuse of the word 'rare' and ridiculous shipping costs? I've been an avid diecast car collector for years but more and more I see vastly inflated pricing for many diecasts that are just not worth it (i.e., Hot Wheels diecasts) nevermind ridiculous shipping costs on top.  Many seem to attach a price to the item in which their is no basis for. Then sellers who post a low price but obviously are making a profit through ridiculous shipping costs. I don't mind paying if an item is truely 'rare' but most are questionable that use that term. I used to purchase more but now less and less through ebay as many seem to be more about 'greed' then profit.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Diecast car prices, rare and shipping discrepancies

Its a buyers market. When it comes to diecast, there are a lot of makers, versions, reissues, colors and sequences. I have rare Racer X car carrier made in England, not US. Depends on who wants it. I just sold 2 diecast for $400 each because they were both car #2 of both cars manufacruted. The maker always keeps car #1. I could have held out for $1500 each and the shipping was free. Dont be discouraged, its a happy mix most times. Check out their sales numbers and feedback. Those are the dealers you will want to shop.
P.s. I have boat loads, what are you looking for. I have hotwheel, matchbox, RCCA, some nice driveer stuff with autographs also. Lots of autographed items. I need to clean out and condense room for the grandkids. I have event and product only available cars also.

Good luck
Terry Thomas
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I would not waste my money on diecast cars. Johnnylightning, greenlight, m2, the list can go on and on and on,maybe when  JLs first came out with the whitelightnings, the greenlight came out with the greenmachines. WLs are supposed to be 1 to every 1000 that are produce, but none of them hold there value any more because you don,t know how many are being produced!!! WL lightning strikes with the colored tires were the most expensive  that i ever seen in the 1/24 scale, green light are even worst and m2 had some chase cars with colored tires but your not going to find them any more because these companys have stop making them, it is just like the sports card racket, once the big companys got involed with the hobby they over saturated it and ruined the hobby, there not worth what you pay at the store for them. Do you really  think   a big company is going to produce a diecast car and sell it for 7.99 to 9.99 and it turns out to be worth 100.00 of dollars. I don,t think so. Just go to lightning lane.com and see what they have some of the olders WLs listed for then go to ebay and see what there selling for, it,s a difference of night and day. I once sold a WL lightning strike blue camero with blue tires for 700.00 dollars, that,s never going to happen again. I can,t even find any on the internet any more becaused they don,t produce them any more. I have been buying brass trains, atleast i get my money back and more.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I've been putting diecast cars on lately, mostly lesney/matchbox and hot wheels.  I'm having a hard time trying to decide how to price them. The similar or same items seem to vary GREATLY in price and it doesn't seem to reflect the condition of the item.   I agree that shipping charges seem to be getting out of hand. The smaller cars (ie hot wheels size) ship First Class for less than $3 - even two cars only cost about $3.32 at  most.  I hate feeling like I'm being cheated when I'm buying and hate the idea somebody's listing will pop up instead of mine because it's 'cheaper' but not really with overpriced shipping.  

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Hello oldjunk, i used to sell johnny white lightnings and i had about 300, thank god i sold them all, since diecast prices have droped except for the very old ones, i am very glad i sold all of mine, i will never buy them again, to hard to get your money back for them.
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

It's simple if someone is charging outlandish shipping charges then I wouldn't buy from them. The item you are looking for will turn up again on eBay at some other point. Or better yet message them and inquire about the ripoff fees.
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

The problem with pricing is you have teenagers working at Mickey D's making 15 bucks an hour anymore and no bills to pay so $500 is nothing to em for a toy car. Then ya got Mr. peg scalper at the local wal mart standing there with a cardboard box as soon as they stock the shelves emptying em out and posting them on e-bay for 3 times the mark up, selling to these idiot kids with thier burger joint money. Saw a grown man the other day going through the mystery cars busting open the bags to find the cool ones...pityful. I was trying to find a B-Day gift for my 9 year old nephew but guess he will have to wait and get a burger job before he can have a cool hotwheel anymore.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

A good way to make sure you never get the chance to buy that car.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

In re. shipping costs... I recently sold a Hubley truck and didn't realize until I went to ship it that, for some reason, the weight was recorded at over 3lbs. (!) It's not the first time I've found strange weights that I know I didn't enter, but it's definitely the most extreme case I've had. I was surprised the buyer had paid it. I refunded them the difference, explaining that I didn't know why they had been charged so much in the first place. Ebay has been messing with listings in a number of ways lately, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's an error somewhere, especially if the whole category is showing exhorbitant shipping costs. Maybe you could contact the seller and ask them why it's so pricey. It's possible that, like me, they just don't realize that the wrong shipping weight is on the listing.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I've noticed that myself and it's ridiculous that your paying the same or more on shipping then what you bought item for. I have contacted some sellers and asked them if I bought a few items would they just charge me for one shipping charge and there response was no the shipping charge actually let's them break even on what there selling. There are some good sellers out there and I will continue my business with them. I also have learned that when you confront someone on why something was priced reasonable day before and now it's rare and 400% more you get blocked. It's a win win for me because he's not getting my money and I'll never recommend him to know one.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Have any gearbox 1/43 state patrol cars. Greenlight 1/64 hot pursuit?
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I have got into the vintage Hot Wheels (redlines) and Matchbox car market and know what you mean. I really don't worry about the crazy BIN prices because there are enough deals still to be had, but the competition seems to be pretty strong in this market. I do get a little frustrated with shipping prices. Just passed on a car I really wanted because the seller wanted $9.85 to ship a single car in the U.S with no mention of combined shipping. Totally ridiculous!!! I find anything over $5 to be overcharging. I charge $3.50 for boxed shipping and still make a little.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply