cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just saying "hi" after several years....

I see a few familiar names here which is reassuring. I got a brief recent nudge from Oggilby. I didn't even know this place was active. I hope all are well. It was sad to see that iomoon passed on.  Jeff

Go to Covers 🙂

Go to Covers!!
Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Just saying "hi" after several years....

Hi All,

Nice to see some familiar names after all this time. Confess most of my stamp activities/chat are on Facebook which is perfect for stamps. Help out as an admin on 6 FB groups in total, including Billsey's Classic Stamps group. Still into basset hounds current one is Trevor who says hi to Jims cats.

Hope you are all well and stay safe in this mad pandemic.
1 (4).jpg

Cheers
Peter -British Central Africa - Follow the logo for the Yellow Boxes
Message 16 of 39
latest reply

trevor.jpg

Message 17 of 39
latest reply

Thanks Jim, They look great and probably a handful, well at least they don't roll in fox poo like Trevor.
Cheers
Peter -British Central Africa - Follow the logo for the Yellow Boxes
Message 18 of 39
latest reply

Hi!

It's Maarten, from the Netherlands.... Some of you might remember me. The guy that collects triangular stamps. In fact I still do. An awful lot has happened over the past decade , also in my personal realm, but I'm still alive and kickin'.

Message 19 of 39
latest reply

Peter…

No fox poo because no foxes!  They don’t go outside anyway.  Trevor has a very crafty look.

Maarten…

Aren’t you the palindrome guy too?  Nice to hear from you again.

Message 20 of 39
latest reply

Jim...

Wow, what a memory... Yes, I was the palindrome guy too. I still have a kind of accumulation of palindromes on stamps/covers, but that collection is more or less asleep.

I did start a new collection a few years back, which is partly philatelic: items that show my exact date of birth (10 January 1959). It's a nice and unique collection of miscellaneous stuff: magazines, sports programs (it was a Saturday), comic books and also some covers … 

Message 21 of 39
latest reply

Hello all,

I hope everyone is staying sane during the great hunkering!  Its good to see a number of familiar handles posting from way back.  I've only been an occasional poster, but a long time lurker.  I'm afraid that for my part, I must get back to work, as I have the other big problem lately, of how to keep a small business going with no revenue.  So,

While most hunker down quarantined

With distance rules not contravened

I’m essential you see

Though the staff’s now just me

So I’m running round fully caffeined

Best regards,

Dana

Message 22 of 39
latest reply

Hello Maarten - how can one forget a person who collects triangular stamps and cancels with names or dates that go either direction. I still see Swiss cancels where I think "Maarten would like that", of course some year dates are more suited than others to create a palindrome. Swiss cancels to a certain extent do lend themselves to palindromes.

I hope all is well in the Netherlands.

Message 23 of 39
latest reply

Good afternoon from plague-ridden NJ!

I’m still here to, although not buying many stamps.  Too much junk to go through already.  

It’s good to see so many familiar faces.

I’m teaching on line this semester and hating it.  I prefer face to face classes.  Retirement is looking better and better.  You may remember my mentioning The Offspring in the old days.  He’s finishing his 3rd year of med school and has been married about a year.  Time flies quickly.

My philatelic pursuits are intermittent.  Still working on my Egypt album and finding out how many blanks I have—what no mint stamps to fill that page?  The album I’m making is aspirational rather than realistic.

the last week I’ve been working on Germany.  There are disadvantages to having specialty catalogues.  You feel obligated to make spaces for all the varieties and then discover that you don’t have them.  So O stuff the album with interesting cancels. A pox on Germanias!

Message 24 of 39
latest reply

Nice to see so many old friends...well , some of you might not be so old and some of you might not be friends (starting to sound like Mr. Kimble, the farm agent), but glad we could all get together again, minus sone who have gone on to that Great Stamp Auction.

Been retired for six years, and thought that would be enough time to get my collections together, but NO, too many other projects got in the way!

Message 25 of 39
latest reply

If I remember right, I'm getting older every year or two, so far anyway. I'm still wading through my 1840-1940 worldwide, a couple of auction lots I picked up for one of the local clubs (insatiable for kiloware there) were Finland and Sweden country collections, so I bought everything that wasn't duplicated, printed some temporary Steiner pages and have working diligently on my Scandinavia. I've got Finland up on my website now and am getting started on Sweden. Having great fun with Facit and Scott side by side trying to figure out what to put on the pages and what not to. I also revamped my page layout somewhat to provide more information when the stamp is in place...
https://billsey.seymourfamily.com/Stamp_Collecting.htm
Message 26 of 39
latest reply

I am still around, getting older.

All those who are not present, please put their hands up.

I am missing going to real time stamp meetings as all have been cancelled, it may be a long time before that get's back to normal,

David Benson

Message 27 of 39
latest reply

Seeing so many familiar names (from the "old-timers"), I decided to descend from my usual seat in the balcony to chime in (before returning to my lurking) to say a "me, too" about how nice it has been to noticing familiar names, by those who have not been being active in the present incarnation.  Really is nice to know that some are still alive and active (philanthropically speaking) as am I , although my "thing" is first day covers, both U.S. and foreign (these days concentrating on France and Germany and China and Japan, having given up on so many nations as "keeping current" (as I had been doing) has become just too expensive for one on retirement income.  As for missing showing up at show, another "me, too," especially as our stamp club had been looking forwrd to having the third iteration of our own little show which in fact has been growing most nicely.  I continue to show up for the biggish one at the Elk's Club  on U.S. 50 in the DC area on Thanksgiving week-end, which I have been attending for thirty years or so.  And our quarterly event in Marietta (GA) was supposed to happen this month but in now just another victim.  Still, there is always the Net with its opportunities, where I follow not just here on "eBay" but also "HIPstamps" and "Delcampe" and surely there are other I could/should follow but I already spend too much on just these so I am happy.  Hopefully, all of you on this are "staying safe" and not going "stir crazy," being happy  to use the time to catch up on all sorts of in-door projects, including philatelic ones.  So greetings to all ... and stay safe.  Frank (a.k.a. "expcman")! in Stone Mountain, in the metro Atlanta area.

Message 28 of 39
latest reply

I guess I might have neglected to say that I am continuing to pursue the 24 cent 1861 postal history.  I have continued to exhibit that collection.  Well, not lately.  And, I was shocked and extremely pleased to win the Grand at Omaha during APS Stampshow.  It was quite an honor after 20 years of showing material of the 24 centers (about one/two times per year).

I was asked to give a presentation on it for the Chicago Collector's Club, but that was cancelled (of course).  As a partial replacement, I created this youtube presentation as a trial balloon.  Feel free to watch and give feedback.  It's a first installment of what I hope to be a few on the subject. 

Keep posting everyone, it does help a bit (it helps me anyway) to 'see' people here.

Rob

Message 29 of 39
latest reply

Better put my head above the parapet then.

Still around. Still look in here occasionally, even if I don’t say anything...

Best wishes to all!

Message 30 of 39
latest reply