cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Daily Grind (Paradise Lost)

Yep, Monday is cleaning day, in spite of all the changes over the past year or so, some things remain the same.  That is why it becomes The Daily Grind, which just may be a comfort in it's own way.  

shirleys8093_0-1608006367717.gif

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 1 of 224
latest reply
223 REPLIES 223

Re: The Daily Grind (Paradise Lost)

fsafd.jpg

I'm thinking of getting Stella a playmate (once I can walk again!) but not sure about having 2 dogs.  Seems like just double the work!

“and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks.” ― Douglas Adams, Life, the Universe and Everything
Message 211 of 224
latest reply

Making any more progress in the foot department?   I think I would go stir crazy if couldn't walk around, esp. living in this house.  Would always have to use the front door since there are only 2 steps to deal with.  The garage is downstairs, so going down a bunch of stairs would not be a good thing esp. now that I seem to have a vertigo issue.    It seems our pastor was on that scooter of his for a long time.  He hobbled around for a couple of weeks and now seems to be doing fine but then again, he broke his ankle so quite a bit different. 

Oh gosh, work is never done in this yard.  Once spring arrives, it's full on work of some sort.   We had to do a bunch of sawing and making piles of shrubs, branches, limbs, etc, because a lot of our stuff died over the winter or wind storms wrecked stuff.   Already clearing some of the flower beds because spring comes so early here now.  

A companion for Stella might be nice, esp. if she doesn't like being alone.  Whatever you do, don't get a Beagle!    I still don't have a cat.   There are things we would like to be able to do as far as having the freedom to take trips etc. and not have to worry about who will take care of a dog, who will take care of a spitfire rabbit, and a cat.   I think if I didn't have the rabbit, more than likely I would have another kitty by now.  

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 212 of 224
latest reply

For the first time I have been walking around in just shoes.  Notice I didn't say well or comfortably but at least I can do it sorta.  Had to put the boot back on since it was getting so sore.  I'll keep at it.  Doc says everything is good, screws are where they should be, bone graft took just fine and everything has shifted back to where it should be.  Just give it more time I guess.

And, yes, not being able to walk really sucks.  I'm lucky I have a one story house but getting into the garage or laundry room is a step down and was just beyond me for a long time.  I started being able to do some weight but that required my hands to be using crutches or the walker which meant I couldn't carry stuff.  It was a huge bother!

Having animals does make it hard to take trips and stuff, but they are so much fun and so cute!

My yard is a mess.  Neighbor has been mowing but the spring clean up hasn't really happened.  I don't even have flowers in the pots out front.  Oh well, I'll get there.  Right?

Still just healing and working.  I can drive short distances if I'm careful but then I have to put the boot back on if I get out of the car (only supposed to be walking on it around the house in supportive shoes).  So that's a pain.

Between Bunny and Rootie you have your hands full!  Mine are now totally spoiled.  See?

20230613_190516.jpg

“and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks.” ― Douglas Adams, Life, the Universe and Everything
Message 213 of 224
latest reply

Sounds like everything is going as it should be.  Now for just a bit more patience....and I know that is now the tough part.  Would be so tiring with all the hassle etc.   See, I would not be good at this. 

Right now I am having issues with my back.  Not sure what I have done and am wondering about the Pilates I have been doing.   The nerve pain is exactly where I had shingles last fall, so whether it is post herpetic neuralgia or what.  Sitting at this desk at the computer is most painful.   Almost every exercise I do makes it painful.   Of course meds like Tylenol do not work at all since it is nerve pain.   It should go away on it's own in another week or so. 

Love the picture of Stella and Q.  I like how kitty is making sure to see you and visa versa.   Stella just looks straight ahead.  I like how close they have become to one another.  So cute!

Mama cottontail and Bunny are pals now even though Bunny stays in the hutch.  Mama stays out there with Bunny and Bunny gets so excited when this happens. 

Message 214 of 224
latest reply

Bummer on back!  Feeling any better?

I have decided I need more margaritas in my life.  Somebody reminded me how much I like them!  I also like stickers all over my refrigerator.  Somebody really gets me and deserves a big hug!

It is way too hot here - 90 and we're getting smoke from the wildfires.  Ready for rain and summer just started.

Q & Stella are real buds.  It is so cute.  When we adopted Stella the shelter asked if we were worried she wouldn't get along with the cat.  I was totally unconcerned, Q loves dogs.   Probably because our last dog was very motherly towards him since he was tiny.

I get to start being back in the office part time next week.  So doc was right - 12 weeks (a very, very long 12 weeks).  But I can go all day without the walking boot is I'm just at home.  Any out of the house I still need it, mostly to protect me over uneven terrain.  The bone graft has set well but doc says another 3 weeks in boot outside.  Grrrr

I think that's it.  Need more pics of Bunny though.  She is so cute.

mountain-cottontail-i-saw-a-carrot-this-big-no-lie-9gagcomgag4268437.jpg

Message 215 of 224
latest reply

Hi Rootie,

I'm still here plugging away at whatever.   Been hot and humid here although when I see the temps in the SW part of the country, I try to withhold the complaints but, its my nature to complain 😝

Glad you liked the stickers!   Do you have Dollar Tree stores there?   We have several around here; some are 'big' stores so have more stuff.   They have what they now call, 'Crafter's Square', so they are getting a lot of neat 'stuff' at a lower price.   You have to look over the items they have, but in the long run, if find something nice you will pay a lot less than if you found same item at say, Hobby Lobby.   They don't always get the same items, so if you find something you like, you better grab it up. 

By now, you should have only about a week left of the ole boot!   Yay!  You can give the boot 'the boot'!   Freedom at last.   It does seem (even to me and I'm not the one wearing the boot) like it has been one long 12 weeks!!   Now that it is so hot, the boot must be pretty warm. 

We have had only a couple of days with air quality alerts due to Canada's fires.    So, it must be pretty bad as we are quite the distance south. 

What a cute little bunny meme you posted!  Isn't he just about the cutest little bugger?    I have no new photos of Bunny, will an old one do? 

bunny4.jpgbunny2.jpgbunnyhair.jpg

100_6600.JPG

Here's Mama, the 'wild' cottontail.   She's pretty sweet too. 

Message 216 of 224
latest reply

The weekends sure roll around fast!   Took it easy today which is a feat for me since I can't seem to ever sit still.   Boy, was it nice!  I could make a habit out of it 😁

Had nice long visit on the phone with my cousin.  It had been at least a couple of months since we last talked.  I should probably put forth an effort to call her more often.

I did a painting of a horse this past May.   I had a long, narrow picture frame downstairs that had no idea what I was going to do with it.   Bought a hunk of foam poster board and decided to do a painting.  I was here by myself for a couple of weeks so was perfect time to do some sort of project.

100_6615.JPG100_6617.JPG100_6618.JPG100_6613.JPG

Message 217 of 224
latest reply

100_6619.JPG

100_6622.JPG

100_6625.JPG

100_6628.JPG

100_6635.JPG

100_6637 copy.jpg

A friend of mine sent me a vintage  Louis Marx horse.  I decided to repaint it too.  I even gave him some teeth!  He looks much more realistic now.  Made him a halter too.  Included the bottom photo so can see the framed painting. 

Message 218 of 224
latest reply

Love the pics and all the news!  You did a really nice horse, I can't paint to save my life.  I seem to have no artistic ability at all.

I can't believe how long it's been since I logged in.  ARGH!  You must think I'm awful.  Just been going a gazillion miles an hour and am trying hard to catch up.  Doc has me doing PT 3 days a week for both my foot and back plus work plus trying to get house stuff caught up.  I've had a friend staying with me for the last 5 weeks and much as I love them, it's good to be alone again.  Almost walking kind of normal - doc informed me at last visit that when he said 12 weeks recovery he really meant 12 weeks just for healing.  Thanks doc. Although he is talking about taking the screws out.  Just what I need, more surgery.

I am currently sitting where the a/c hits the best since we are very hot for this area.  Glad it is only going to last a week or so.  Way too hot to cook so I'm think a sandwich will be dinner.

Message 219 of 224
latest reply

There you are!!!   Was beginning to wonder about you and then I got this really nice card in the mail.   I liked it a lot and appreciate it very much.❤️  Tickled pink to get it and I could say the same for you.   I really do get to missing all the chats and posting we once did though.   Can't explain it as to why it seems I run out of time and I don't even have a job to go to.  I swear that when I worked, raised a kid (almost by myself), ran a home, took care of pets, etc. it still seemed I had free time!   What is up with that?   I think the pandemic caused a disruption that will never be fixed.   Any other major life changing events just add to all that. 

What an ordeal with your foot.  Forgot there would be another surgery to remove the pins.   But, it was all necessary to get you back to normal use and living.   I have had a terrible bunion on my R foot for many years now.   While still active duty, I did consider the suggestion to have surgical repair.  What it called for was the need to 'break' all the metatarsals and pin them to correct their alignment since the bunion had shifted everything.  Would have needed the boot, the crutches, and all that.  THEN another surgery to go in and remove the pins.   Thought about it.   Thing of it was, the bunion IS ugly.  Makes wearing certain shoes almost impossible.  However, I have never had any pain or limited use of my foot because of it.   So, I didn't do the surgery.  Wasn't going to go through all that.   Ugly foot yes, can't wear all those neato high-heels, etc. but I can still run and do whatever.  Unfortunately, your choice was the only one you had.   You are one tough lady, maybe stubborn; I don't know, but I got to hand it to you to endure what you have (not just the foot) and still come in here almost cracking jokes and still deal with work and all the other idiots out there.   So, yeah, you have had a way of changing some things in me as well.

Here's to you, Pal!!   Get that dang broom of yours dusted off.  😂

Message 220 of 224
latest reply

Oh, forgot..more cute bunnies!   You should come to my house...it is bunny palooza around here.  Mama has had a very 'active' year this year.   We have bunnies of every age hopping around.   Mama had all these 'kids' and she had a bot fly larvae/grub growing in her neck.  Most nasty thing I think I have seen.  Thought at first she had a neck wound as though maybe she had been in a rabbit rumble of sorts.   Then one day when she was sitting by me, I thought it looked as though that area of her neck was moving.   It was the grub starting to make it's way OUT.   That is when I figured out what it was she had. 😳  Would not have known had I not been watching Dr. Pol vet program. 

Message 221 of 224
latest reply

Here's a video of the bot fly larva.  All the sound effects are rather stupid, but good video of what the thing is.

Message 222 of 224
latest reply

A month has passed and it seems this thread is dead and may be just as well.

Had heat exhaustion last month when the temps were so high and the humidity was awful.   Took a while to recover, but, finally coming around.

Got rear ended by a hit and run driver.  No personal injury, but did a bit of damage to the vehicle.  Ins. companies have sure changed over the years.

Bunny Bunny died last month.   Mama doesn't hang around any more either. 

I'm sure there's a pony in that pile somewhere. 

Message 223 of 224
latest reply

Hi everyone,

This thread has been closed at the request of the OP.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 224 of 224
latest reply