cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Daily Grind (Paradise Lost)

Yep, Monday is cleaning day, in spite of all the changes over the past year or so, some things remain the same.  That is why it becomes The Daily Grind, which just may be a comfort in it's own way.  

shirleys8093_0-1608006367717.gif

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 1 of 224
latest reply
223 REPLIES 223

crocus .jpg

hyacinth.jpg

Crocus and hyacinth earlier this year....last month. 

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 196 of 224
latest reply

Watch out for the Trojan Spyware scam!  These guys will try to convince you you have it and will ask you to allow them access to your computer so they can 'fix' the problem.  That is really when they install the spyware.  No, didn't happen to me, however, I clicked on an ad (by accident) and up popped this window claiming to be computer company that has detected the virus, that you need to call them immediately.  Amazing how it does lock up your computer, but don't fall for it.   I think I'd rather have a pair of Bobcats in my back yard than to have fallen for a scam. 

Finally got all the tax stuff rounded up.  Procrastination gets worse each year.

This weather is something else.  Freeze one day and cook the next.   I think my brain neuron synapse is being affected by this 🤣

Message 197 of 224
latest reply

I've been getting texts about prizes I won, lol! I don't enter any kind of online sweepstakes, so I just report them to my provider. 

Message 198 of 224
latest reply

The bobcats don't worry me too much - my cat is inside only and if the dog is out at that time (they tend to show up between 1 and 6 a.m.) it's out back with the lights on.  Apparently bobcats are pretty shy.  I haven't seen any in the backyard, although they did get a bunny (had fur all over the backyard).

I hate the time change - it just throws everything off. 

“and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks.” ― Douglas Adams, Life, the Universe and Everything
Message 199 of 224
latest reply

Rabbit fur all over could be one of 2 things......the bobcats had breakfast or your bunnies are getting 'frisky'.   💕

The resident Mama cottontail has already had her first batch of kittens.   But, with the weather as unpredictable as it is here, they didn't survive.   She usually sticks close by her den (out of sight) during the day.  When she wasn't around I kind of figured her babies had probably died.   So, checked the den....she had 2 but they were 'gone'.   Probably got too wet & then too cold.   I think she is probably working on batch #2.   She gets pretty hungry and comes right up to me when she needs food. 

Message 200 of 224
latest reply

That's cool that the bunny comes right up to you - smart bunny!

Stella loves chasing the bunnies around the yard.  They have their little escape hatches (tiny holes in the fence) that they always manage to get to.

We have had some beautiful weather lately - low 60s and sunny.  I love Spring!  My lilacs are already budding and the roses have got some new leaves.  But of course with Spring comes allergies.  It's worth it though.

Baseball starts tomorrow and it will give me something to watch while I'm laid up.  My niece was at spring training and sent me a baseball signed by a whole bunch of players.  She's a good niece!

A few more days of dry and it will be time to mow the lawn.  The neighbor is pulling his lawn up so he can get it all even and then put new sod down.  He's doing it all by hand.  Hopefully he'll have time to mow mine anyway.  He's a good neighbor.

imagesfasdf.jpg

“and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks.” ― Douglas Adams, Life, the Universe and Everything
Message 201 of 224
latest reply

That house looks like it feels miserable.  Makes my eyes feel itchy and watery just looking at it.   Not sure about the grill - looking nose....or is it wearing a Darth Vader mask to help it breathe? 🤣

One thing led to another this morning while I was getting ready to go to the commissary.  It's not a wonder I can't leave at a decent time so this grocery shop stunt doesn't take all day to accomplish.   Couldn't get the spray bottle to sit right in the basket I have under the bathroom sink.   Several small tubes of stuff had fallen over so, took them out and put them in a different place.   That lead to moving some stuff in the right hand drawer which led me to where my dog tags are/were.   My dog tags have been there for a long time and now they are not there.   So....a search begins for them and then I get stressed out because I can't find them.  Yesterday it was looking for the basket ball 'stem' or 'needle' that you use to inflate it with.   Went straight to where I just knew it would be and no, it was NOT there.  Then the search for that.   Rootie, I would not want to know how much precious life time I have wasted because of always having to hunt for items that have gone astray.   And the older I get, the worse it gets..esp. this past year or so. 

Had a pretty nice day today.  No wind, lots of sun, and only in the mid-60's which makes for a nice day to do stuff outdoors.   Our yard does need mowing because of the uneven growth of the grass.  But, we are not going to start mowing in March!   Several of our neighbors are on their 2nd mowing of the season.   No way.  Not going to start now and mow through December.    Just a few years ago we did not have to begin until May and then go through to early November or late October.   I guess that is how fast this climate change is taking place.    Anyway, I dug a little path through the center of my day lily patch and put down stepping stones.   Did it for Rootie because she now gets into my flower beds worse than ever and doesn't mind as well as she used to.   So, what the heck...make a little path.   It is kind of neat looking and yes, Rootie does use it!!  Cute.  She uses the stepping stones too 🤗

Gathered up a couple of my wind chimes and a bird feeder that I need to make some repairs on when I get the time.   The wind has been hard on them.  I guess I need to take them down on the days it blows 40 mph 😐

Going to the Mediterranean eatery tomorrow so can pick up a bag of bulgur wheat.   I sometimes fix it instead of rice.   Takes some getting used to....initially I bought it so could make Kibbeh,  But, it takes some fussing to make and I'm getting into 'easy' these days.  In a way, bulgur reminds me of couscous (in appearance).

Thoughtful niece to get you a signed baseball.   LOL, found several baseballs yesterday looking for that basketball stem!    Hey!  I find as much as I lose sometimes 😋

Message 202 of 224
latest reply

Here it is the 6th of April!  I guess the daily grind is getting to be such a grind that 8 days can go buy with nothing to write home about.    Only so much you can say about the weather....50 tornadoes in one night,  wind blowing 60 mph on a good day,  80* one day and 49* the next.   Carry Bunny & her hutch OUT then back in again to go OUT the next day.  Cottontail bunny palooza in the yard with one digging a den for kittens (2nd one for the year so far).   Post shingles neuralgia flare-up.   Chipped another tooth so now have have 2 teeth can pack a lunch in the space the chip made.   Found a small box of vintage cake decoration/toppers at the fleamarket.  Some are pretty cool.   Made a miniature wood tribal flute (that doesn't work).   Taxes are done with no good news.  Yard is completely wild as haven't mowed it yet since only the 6th of April.  A few of the neighbors are already on their 3rd mowing.   Lost the weight I wanted, but am gaining it back faster than it came off.   TN lawmakers are acting total fools.   Ex-pres thinks he's next to Jesus Christ because he has taken all the persecution and pain for his followers.  (all the more you should support him ya know).    How coincidental this has come about 3 days before Easter.  Nothing like trying to 'steal' Jesus' thunder.

Yet, I have nothing to complain about really and am happy that I have a house to clean and am able to do that.  I don't have a sore foot either 🤣

Message 203 of 224
latest reply

Sorry I got distracted with having the foot rebuilt - I'll be stronger, faster, better!  The doc did not give me the retractable claw in my big toe though.  And I offered to slip him a $50!

Your trip to the commissary sounds like what I do - ok, I just have to straighten this drawer out.  Two hours later - oh yeah, I had something else to do.  Guess when I found the picture hangers in the drawer I shouldn't have gone around hanging up pictures!

I'm impressed that Rootie uses the stepping stones - I can barely get Stella to stay on the paths!  And if there's a bunny to chase, forget it - right through the flower bed!

I'm making a list of everything I need to get done this summer.  Yeah, right.  But it makes me feel productive.

Not much else going on.  Kind of nice having people waiting on me.  People have been bringing me dinner, stopping by to make sure I have everything, etc.  (Ok, it's not really nice, it's annoying but I'll be back on my foot soon!).

Message 204 of 224
latest reply

That's too bad you couldn't get the retractable claw added to your big toe.  Can't believe the doc wouldn't accept the $50 bribe.   I have heard a lot of great stories from the people who do have the claw.  Some pitfalls too though.  Like, having to wear all round toe shoes/boots and having to increase the shoe size on the foot that has the claw.   Wearing open toe shoes, sandals, flip-flops are best for comfort and freedom.  Great at parties when want to 'wow' the guests with your trick big toe.   I'm betting the claw would come in handy on a foray.   Also great for hooking lost items under the sofa. 

Are you going to have some time off work or will you be working from home?      Aw Rootie, those people care about you and if any are co-workers, they just want you to have a speedy recovery so you can come back to work asap 🤣

Message 205 of 224
latest reply

Oh for the love of the daily grind, it just repeats itself every week.

Had an oil seal replaced on the car several weeks ago.   Sometimes when I get home from being out, I will smell oil burning on the hot exhaust down under the oil pan.   Hope that doesn't mean I still have a leak 🤔

That's what I like about a broom.  No oil leaks.

Just finished half a protein bar.  Hope it doesn't keep me awake now.  I mean, that's OK for now because I don't like my head to crash onto the keyboard because can't stay awake.  Once I crawl into bed, I don't want my eyes to stay open.

hello anybody there.gif

Message 206 of 224
latest reply

I hope you don't have a leak! 

I managed to hook the cord for my computer with my scooter and throw it on the floor (because I am a klutz) but now have a newly repaired computer to play with.

Two and a half weeks and then I can walk again.  I'm trying hard to hang in there.   At least I have the knee scooter which makes it easier to get around.  Of course if I had the claw it would be even better.

More later, just thought I would check in.

Message 207 of 224
latest reply

Yay!  Won't be long before you lose the scooter.  Boy, those 2 weeks (or so) went by pretty fast.  You will be up and going soon!  Now that your computer has also been repaired, you should be in good shape! 

Message 208 of 224
latest reply

I find more truth in the words written in red they tell me there is more to this than what I can see.

Message 209 of 224
latest reply

Sorry for the long absence, been a crazy few weeks.  Had a bunch of rotating people in to give me a hand, which was nice but tiring.

I can put 20% of my weight on the foot now - making progress!  Still using scooter part of the time, and a walker or crutches the rest of the time.  I am just ready for it to be healed!  At least I can now take a shower without a plastic bag over my leg!

We've had beautiful weather mostly and that makes me itchy to get outside.  Not many flower got planted this year, but someone sent me a package of forget-me-nots that I want to get into a planter.

You get all your summer stuff done and now just lazing in your yard drinking margaritas?

This even looks like Q!

dr-katenheimer-sez.jpg

Working and healing, working and healing... amazing how tiring it can be!

Message 210 of 224
latest reply