cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At What Rate Are Dissatisfied Sellers Leaving Ebay for other Sites?

This is not a figure that ebay would release publicly, of course, but one has to wonder what percentage of dissatisfied sellers are leaving ebay and placing their items on other sites and how quickly this is occuring? Has the MASS EXODUS begun yet or is it still just a small trickle? Anyone here in the know with reasonable estimates, please weigh in...

Message 1 of 195
latest reply
194 REPLIES 194

Re: At What Rate Are Dissatisfied Sellers Leaving Ebay for other Sites?

ITS GREAT that sellers are leaving - Ebay charges the sellers 5% extra because they have 2-5 returns out of 100 sales - Then seller just raise their prices 64% on the items the buyers lied to ebay about - Its COMICAL - Selling less / Making more - Silly buyers - Just like the cereal Trix are for kids LOL Seriously 64% Bunch of DMASS

Message 181 of 195
latest reply

Anything you can find on eBay can be found on Amazon.  I am a legacy eBayer, a Plankowner, so to speak.  I've been trying my most **bleep** to leave, but eBay keeps denying my requests.  Right now, they will not let me mark my last item as shipped, which means I can't leave for thirty more days.  It sucks.  Hopefully, a Class Action Suit will be filed soon.

Message 182 of 195
latest reply

I hear you. I sold the 1200th item at eBay in 1995, when there were only 2 categories. There was not even feedback available. The founder, Pierre, was a real prince of a man. He helped all the sellers--he was great. IT WAS SO EASY AND FUN. Not anymore--I quit. Thanks for your post.

Message 183 of 195
latest reply

If, truly, you lose $3k per month on eBay, WHY do you continue to sell?  Why would you sell on a new venue, and continue to use eBay?  Something doesn’t add up.  

at the very least, why don’t you pause selling until you diagnose what you are doing wrong?  

Message 184 of 195
latest reply

I don't know what you are complaining about, I just love giving away free stuff, especially when ebay forces me to refund a buyer. Why would you complain when the buyer gets to keep the item, USPS gets to keep the postage, and ebay gets keeps their fees, everybody wins! Just because they ordered the wrong item, or they didn't read the description, or they are having buyer remorse, that is not their fault. Why would you want to "hurt" all these people, when you have got all that seller money, and they have nothing? 

Message 185 of 195
latest reply

I've been reading a lot of stuff going down. I think I'll still sell on eBay, but I might want to get that law degree and maybe a seat in Congress ASAP. A lot of people are frustrated with some of eBay's recent decisions, including mandatory managed payments, near-universal cases of eBay siding with buyers in disputes, and eBay always making suggestions to sellers to the point they start to become nagging. Newer and smaller sellers are complaining about two features that I frequently see shunned: eBay automatically turning on offers for some items without the seller's consent, and eBay pushing the Easy Pricing feature which lowers prices by 5% every 10 days.

I think that eBay should be changing their approach, even if slight, towards appealing to sellers more often. I'd like to see the ability for sellers like me to charge additional on shipping prices if someone wins an item by Best Offer, automatically RAISING prices to create the sense of urgency to buy something before the price goes up again, charging less on fees, allowing PayPal payments instead of managed payouts, and overall giving sellers a more professional mobile app. Again, I will still sell on eBay, but I think that I (gradually) may be selling some items on Etsy, Amazon, Craigslist, FB Marketplace, and other sites more often instead of staying exclusively on eBay.  

Message 186 of 195
latest reply

I don't know. but my business is leaving eBay, there is no seller protection. even on small $10 items. I have supplied all documents to eBay everything they ask for and still they give the buyer 1000% protection. I have been scammed over 30 times, always eBay saying there improving there protection between buyers and sellers but its a load of **bleep** on eBays behalf they just don't want people to leave and try to keep us around with false hopes that eBay will get better. eBay is in my opinion should be relabelled as ScamBay "where scammers will consistently scam you for money and items" and eBay are supporting this in there deceptive policies. I'm going back to old fashion ways of cash only and person to person sales at least that way you know who your dealing with. You can still get scammed on PayPal, through the banks, credit card gate ways etc no one offers any protection its a flaw eBay and paypal and other mobs use to lure people in to use there website and services and when there's a problem there not there to help you.  Maybe eBay should be called FreeBay where anyone can get anything for free as there is a money back guarantee after 30 days, I might go buy a fridge now and send my old one back to the seller. haha and eBay strongly supports this.

Message 187 of 195
latest reply

I really dont think it's that many.  I just recently went to a meeting with local sellers.  We had two new people come to the meeting.  No one had left.

Most of us have seen a serious uptake in sales.  One person who I personally had to convince to start selling on Ebay said it was the best move she ever made.  She makes more sales on EBay then she does in her B&M.  She is now having no issues making rent (she was considering closing her doors at one point).

We spent some time discussing the recent changes, with a few exceptions, most people are happy with the changes.  I was actually surprised at how many people are pleased with Managed payments (I honestly expected some debate about it) but, over all once adjusted, most people prefer MP.

I believe, as with most changes, for every person who leaves there is someone to replace them.  Ebay isnt for everyone but, if you manage it well, Ebay can be a great place to sell!!

Message 188 of 195
latest reply

This post was from 2013...look at the OP's post date.

Message 189 of 195
latest reply

The social security number requirement is not necessary for those of us who are not businesses. I'm willing to provide bank account information.  You cannot set up a bank account without giving your social to the local bank so they can verify who you are.  Therefore, providing banking information (same name and account number) should suffice as ID verification for eBay.  The bank has already done the work for you.   

And why only the last 4 digits?  Do they already have my social to verify it?  It wouldn't surprise me due to all the data breeches of late.   What the government is doing is creating yet another database of information to be hacked.  I've had my identity stolen twice; had to do the police report, new checks, account number and everything. It is not right that occasional sellers, who have only a few things to sell and are not business owners, have to pay the price for those trying to fly under the radar.  

Message 190 of 195
latest reply

To the community:

I have also left E-bay selling because of forced "Managed Payments."

wlipscomb2013

Message 191 of 195
latest reply

Why? So it looks like less unsatisfied people for E-bay?

Message 192 of 195
latest reply

I left the moment they took over all payments. Not worth it. Too many scammers and not in the business of loosing money while eBay collects high fees. My website and many other sites to sell on.

Message 193 of 195
latest reply

Rising Charge Backs are making the 'Last Straw' list.  When it's totaled up, as a yearly total, the numbers are getting impressive!  It's a way to off-set the inflation thing, I guess.  Fees are/were, only a small fraction of the problem.  

Message 194 of 195
latest reply

Me too.  You said it perfectly!

Message 195 of 195
latest reply